Portal to pan

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 20th April 2011, 17:26

Portal to pan

I think I'm ready to try Pan for the first time, but I realized something: I've cleared to D:27 and there are no portals to be found. My T&D skill is only 6 so I guess I could have missed it, but I don't seem to be missing any stairs either. Is it possible for no spawns? Is there another way to get there? Should I just dig around for a while?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 20th April 2011, 17:31

Re: Portal to pan

Even if you found it, the portal for pan does not show up on ctrl-G (at least it didn't for me). It could be in vaults, but I don't think it spawns there.

Bug report: https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=3544

Try ctrl-f and search for "pan" and see what happens.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 20th April 2011, 17:35

There are no alternative routes to Pan, like there are with the abyss. The only way in is to walk through the front gate of your own will.

The portal isn't a trap- you don't need to find it with t&ds. It should show up as soon as it enters LOS, like any staircase.

So far as I know, there's always at least one gate to Pan generated. Usually several.

What to do: hit ctrl o. If you found a gate, and didn't notice, it'll be marked there. If you haven't found one, make absolutely sure you didn't miss any areas from d:20 on down. Magic mapping and dig could help. If you're playing tiles, remember that portals show up in the minimap as light blue- same as branch staircases, and portals to hell and the abyss. It's possible you confused it with one of them and walked right past it.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 20th April 2011, 19:49

I'm aware that the portal itself doesn't need to be discovered, but that doesn't mean a portal might not be in a hidden area; that was what I was implying. Ctrl-O only shows abyss and hell, no pan. Ctrl-F gave no results.

Anyway, magic mapping gave me nothing. I went so far as to back up my save, and use wizard mode mapping for all floors 20 and below, and still found nothing.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 20th April 2011, 20:05

YOU WON!
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 20th April 2011, 20:21

Submitted. I wonder if it might have been fixed by this commit:

a1bd5ea | Vsevolod Kozlov | 2011-04-13 18:55:01 +0200

Let Abyss and Pan entrances overwrite vaults.
This is to make the guaranteed gateways truly guaranteed.
(cherry picked from commit e0ca6bca752c9d256a2c61d7b480360c67c2726a)

since I did run into a couple of vaults, but I submitted anyway because I can't be sure.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice