New ambrosia in trunk

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 17:15

New ambrosia in trunk

Code:
I - a potion of ambrosia.

A strange substance, produced by ghost moths. Consuming it causes regeneration
of health and magic, along with total befuddlement. The two effects are
fundamentally linked - the regeneration ends the moment the confusion does.

I take it this means that if you use a source of clarity to prevent the confusion, then you cannot get the regeneration effect either.

So… useful or not?

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 17:35

Re: New ambrosia in trunk

Idk man, Im befuddled on this one.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 17:54

The regen rate is really high...it's good early game. Saved my ass from an adder.
Comborobin Admin

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 18:09

It's highly situational, and probably not worth an item slot once you've accumulated enough regularly-useful consumables to use up most of them. I wouldn't recommend using it with monsters still on-screen, but if you've been shafted or teleported against your will you can blow your mp dealing with any immediate threats and still recover faster in the likely event that off-screen monsters start wandering. Going to a stairwell and resting normally in a secured area is probably going to be preferred in almost all circumstances where it is possible for it to work at all. There is also the occasional high-hp monster or unique that is not genuinely threatening but will outlast the player's mp bar, and using a marginal consumable to get rid of it permanently may be preferable to letting it continue to wander and potentially block a corridor or otherwise be a surprise nuisance when fighting an actually-dangerous opponent.

I've never actually had a situation where it was useful in an actual game, but these seem theoretically plausible and it hasn't really been around a long time. Unlike food ambrosia, this new potion ambrosia can actually spawn at a point in the game where it isn't already comically obsolete.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 19:31

It seems like it is unusable with Ash, which is sort of not what I expected based on how Berserk interacts with Ash (or clarity).

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 7th December 2014, 02:14

Can you quaff a confuse pot to extend the duration?

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 7th December 2014, 02:33

No.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 7th December 2014, 03:36

no, because ambrosia replaced confusion pots

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 15th December 2014, 11:05

The only time I used it is staying entombed in Vaults:5. I was not sure about Tomb card duration and needed means to regain HP quickly.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 15th December 2014, 13:49

I used every ambrosia potion I found as a deep dwarf, for obvious reasons. I also see it being very useful if you end up surrounded or facing down a single tough enemy. If you're always playing optimally, maybe you see it as unnecessary, but most players don't always play optimally. Like the other purple-text consumables, the utility is very limited and situational, so it depends on the player's playstyle whether it is worth picking them up or not, and that's fine.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 15th December 2014, 15:50

How does monster stabbing work these days?

"I can't attack or escape, but my hp are going up" is different from "I can't dodge, and every hit is extra strong."

Barkeep

Post Monday, 15th December 2014, 16:16

JFunk wrote:I also see it being very useful if you end up surrounded or facing down a single tough enemy.

Those are two situations where I'd normally think of spending a bunch of turns confused as "really bad." Am I missing something?
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 15th December 2014, 22:30

jejorda2 wrote:How does monster stabbing work these days?

"I can't attack or escape, but my hp are going up" is different from "I can't dodge, and every hit is extra strong."

I believe they can't stab, for the most part. I think only totally sleeping characters are eligible to be stabbed, but I don't know the details. Your evasion and AC is unaffected by confusion, but you won't be able to block.
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 16th December 2014, 12:53

Ambrosia, if ID'd, is nontrivially useful for early game situations where you're stuck fighting something faster than you but not *that* threatening, and you're going to lose. It seems to regenerate 3-4 HP/turn or more, which isn't great but can certainly outpace an adder if you happen to be away from the stairs, low HP, and OOM.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 16th December 2014, 16:31

I just made good use of it to finish off a powerful unique in Spider with my Kobold. Particularly useful for Kobolds too, because of their low hp. I've determined that I'm probably going to pick up every ambrosia I find.

Also, based on feedback from the interface. looks like confusion makes shields unusable, but EV is still in play.

Would be curious whether other sources of confusion can prolong the effect - wand, monster spell, tarantella, etc. Would make for an interesting if slightly reckless tactical option when getting mobbed by spiders and confused by tarantella, to leverage the situation by quaffing ambrosia.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 16th December 2014, 17:15

Other sources of confusion cannot prolong the effect. Should probably modify the description to make that more clear.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 16th December 2014, 23:21

ebering wrote:Other sources of confusion cannot prolong the effect. Should probably modify the description to make that more clear.

Code:
A strange substance, produced by ghost moths. Consuming it causes regeneration
of health and magic, along with total befuddlement. The two effects are
fundamentally linked - the regeneration ends the moment the confusion does. Also the regen will end whenever it was going to in the first place if you get confused again, so don't think you keep getting regen if an orc wizard shows up and does what orc wizards do, because that wouldn't make any sense, you silly person.

For this message the author ZipZipskins has received thanks: 2
and into, Arrhythmia

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 16th December 2014, 23:48

Why would someone think that an Orc Wizard becoming invisible and casting magic dart at you will prolong your MP/HP regen from ambrosia?

ZipZipskins wrote:
  Code:
you silly person

Oh.

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
ZipZipskins

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 17th December 2014, 22:42

and into wrote:Why would someone think that an Orc Wizard becoming invisible and casting magic dart at you will prolong your MP/HP regen from ambrosia?

Code:
The orc wizard's eyes start to glow. Your regeneration is extended.

For this message the author ZipZipskins has received thanks:
and into

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice