How to NOT die in Elf?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 07:51

How to NOT die in Elf?

The title says it all. But I'll elaborate. Elf taunts me. Almost as much as the beating the game itself. I feel as though once I conquer Elf, I shall claim my victory over the dungeon and end this absurd obsession. Any tips, combos, or overall kick-ass tactics for this particular branch?
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?
~380,000 (with wrapper on)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 08:15

Re: How to NOT die in Elf?

I always do Elf and I don't remember the last time I died there. But I only go there after doing Lair, Orc, Dungeon, 2 Lair branches, Vaults 1 - 4 and Depths: 1 - 4. So I'm pretty strong at that point. Also, you just have to be very careful. All of the top-tier elves are very dangerous and must be treated with respect. Fight only one at a time (digging a killhole is good for this).
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 09:07

I do the same as Sprucery, except that I do not go to Depths before elf. I also almost always dig a zigzag kill hole near the vault entrance. That almost feels like cheating. Manage you'r LOS carefully.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 09:48

The greatest way to clear elven halls is to NOT going there: inside there are threats to even beefier chars and things (especially in the end vault) can quickly escalate to deadly situations. In very few situation (and for a rookie, I'd say never) is worthwhile to get the end-loot or even clear e:1-2.

General tips if you insist to peek inside is to fight things 1 to 1 especially the top tier DE (but the new revamped DE knight also can bequite scary). Have lots of MR if you don't like abyss. Also silence, cloud spell/rod and anti-magic are gold. Don't random teleport in Elf:3 unless extremely necessary (e.g. you have been already put in the middle of the vault by some trap).

The best way to clear the end vault is visualized in this post
If you have cloud spell you can also place them after tt before going in the hole, so most of things coming to you will die during the trip.

But the best advice remains " don't go there."
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
pedant

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 10:05

nago wrote:The greatest way to clear elven halls is to NOT going there: inside there are threats to even beefier chars and things (especially in the end vault) can quickly escalate to deadly situations.

I think this advice is quite outdated. It was clearly a good advice in older versions (say, 0.11), in which Elf: 3 was one of the most dangerous places in the regular game. In current versions, however, things are different. In 0.15 and 0.16 the deadlies elves are quite common in Vaults:1-4 and in Depths. And Elf:3 is better than those because you are amost guaranteed to meet them in your terms (dig a killhole or kill them at the vault entrance by area spells).

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 10:16

The fact you have to face them in other places (which btw is a design decision I don't understand) you have to reasonably clear to win the game (cause you may need v:5 rune and a way from U:1 to U:5) doesn't have anything to do to the fact it isn't a smart idea to voluntarily go search big trouble in a place totally unnecessary to win.

In other words, a DE Annihilator can easily kill 99% of the char if he stop three turns to blink around like a moron and starts to cast crystal spear.
The fact you've met and maybe even kill a couple in V:3 (btw you can also escape from those, and thanks to their blinking often is very easy even at 10 speed!) doesn't guarantee at all one of the 6ish you need to face in Elven hall (even using a killhole - they are great but still very dangerous with annihilator due lightning bolt!) won't shred you to pieces.

For this message the author nago has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 10:26

Elf 3 provides the player with moderate risk in exchange for not nearly enough reward. It isn't that elves are particularly dangerous compared to spellcasting monsters elsewhere in the late game, it's that the xp it terrible compared to every other late-game branch and the loot is unlikely to repair a troubled setup for Zot. On a successful run through Elf you will usually walk away with nothing more interesting than another swap item or two, or a few consumables that are probably redundant. On an unsuccessful run, you get to burn several thousand turns in the Abyss or even start up a completely new character build.

I usually do clear Elf because this is a game and there's content there, but a clear majority of the time I get nothing for my efforts except the satisfaction of knowing that most of the elves in the game are dead.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks: 4
duvessa, math4jedi, nago, rockygargoyle

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 11:03

Just to clarify: I also don't recommend doing Elf for someone who hasn't yet won Crawl. There will be plenty enough dangerous situations elsewhere, you don't have to go and seek them in Elf.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 12:55

Elf 3 is almost trivial if you have very high EV, and gets ugly fast if you dont. In the latter case, breaking LoS and managing how many elves come running to you and how, as mentioned above, is paramount to success, rather than just a very good idea. If you do it right, it gets trivial again as elves have crap defences and hitpoints. I disagree with the treasure not being worth it. The vaults are big and there is far more often something worth while in there than not. I do elf pretty much every game but mostly because I like killing them and its also a good branch for shops it seems.

I'm glad the nasty elves show up in the depths and vaults now. Adds more excitement. I also disagree that people should skip it if they are new or because it's not necessary. Elf 3 vaults are a great place to learn how to deal with dangerous crowds, especially the kind that throw crystal spears or torment around.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 15:52

Leaving aside the question of whether going to Elf:3 is a good idea, let's talk about how you can defeat it, since that's what the OP was asking. I don't generally dig a kill hole since I find it to be a bit boring, but it is quite effective. Overall, managing the number of elves aware of you and when they can see you is quite important, as many of the elves have very dangerous attacks, and of course they can't use them outside LOS. Some of the particular dangers you need to be aware of are hellfire, summoned 1s, banishment, and high-damage conjurations. All of these are less frightening if you can handle the elves 1v1 and keep them out of sight until they're within range of your preferred attacks, but you should also have emergency plans for when things go badly.

However, all of this is quite general advice and applies to most of the game. McGeekster, what keeps killing you in Elf? Not just which monsters, but under which circumstances?

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks:
mopl

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 17:03

If I have access to silence, I usually clear elf pretty early. I usually clear it after I finish lair and Orc, which I know is pretty early. Silence makes all the spellcastering elves a breeze, and leaves the physical elves as the main threat. But both physical elves don't have see invis, so that helps with them. In general, scolls of fog are really good. Lamps of fire. Killholes, conjure flame.
Greaterplayer
Greatrace:Ds,Dr,Mf(1st)
Greatrole:Wz(1st),Mo(1st),AM(1st),EE(1st)

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 17:32

I always do elf before rune branches and i haven't really died there

If you have mr for de demonologists/sorcs and some invis if you have problems with the melee dudes you're pretty much set, digging is nice but most elf ends have decent places to hide out of LOS either way
anyway i would argue that elf is definitely worth doing before vaults since everything dangerous in elf is in vaults except stuff you can just !invis on if it's threatening and elf loot is fairly good

none of this helps if a dema gets dispersal arrows though, you're pretty much screwed then

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 20:05

notcluie wrote:none of this helps if a dema gets dispersal arrows though, you're pretty much screwed then

That's where the high EV comes in.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 23:04

KoboldLord wrote:On a successful run through Elf you will usually walk away with nothing more interesting than another swap item or two, or a few consumables that are probably redundant. On an unsuccessful run, you get to burn several thousand turns in the Abyss or even start up a completely new character build.

I think it depends on the character type. You're very likely to walk out of Elf with that magic staff you were looking for, you have many chances to find that spell you're hoping for, and you'll probably pick up whatever miscellaneous items (e.g. phial of floods) that have been lacking in the dungeon proper.

And, I think, Elf is the branch most likely to give you a buckler of resistance, if that fits your character. In fact, I often dip into Elf:1 after clearing Orc just to pick up an unbranded buckler, if I have a character that wants a buckler but hasn't found one yet.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 27th November 2014, 00:30

I never used to use a kill-hole in elf:3 and it was dangerous but manageable. Recently I've started using kill-holes and its almost ridiculous how easy it is. I find it hard to believe that you'd want to avoid elf when you can just do that. My only advice is make sure you're strong enough to escape the abyss (or maybe get the rune?) before you go there.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 27th November 2014, 01:19

I never go in until I get MR+++ and a minimum of rF+ and rC+. Ice clouds are great for thinning the pursuit. With a melee character I wait until later in the game.

As everyone says, one at a time is best. I run around a couple corners as soon as I spot one. If I get wounded, I move further away to heal and then come back carefully. I also pick up anything that can be used against me (artefacts, branded weapons, etc.) or good wearable's (jewelry, robes, etc.). I seem to end up with most of the artefacts before I go into the final vault. ;) (If I end up with too many, I cache them somewhere out of the way.)

If there are demons summoned, I've found you can usually run away until they time out. Pick a route with lots of turns. Long stretches of can get you killed. Swiftness helps. With recent versions killing the summoner and they all go away. :D

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 27th November 2014, 09:51

Hurkyl wrote:And, I think, Elf is the branch most likely to give you a buckler of resistance, if that fits your character. In fact, I often dip into Elf:1 after clearing Orc just to pick up an unbranded buckler, if I have a character that wants a buckler but hasn't found one yet.

This right here. You are also likely to find a shop or two, which can be a nice bonus to the Orc 4 day at Ikea.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 27th November 2014, 10:17

I always make sure that I've got enough hp to take a max damage crystal spear to the face.
Comborobin Admin

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 27th November 2014, 14:57

xentronium wrote:I always make sure that I've got enough hp to take a max damage crystal spear to the face.

You know that means 3d34 ? A bad AC roll can reduce almost 0 damage. And not all characters wear an armour with high GDR...

That also means that you do not often clear Elf with a Sp or a DE.

FYI, a lvl 27 Spriggan with Fightning 27 has 174 HP, a DE has 199 and a Fe 149. They can almost always be 2-shot by LCS, and DE annihilators have Blink so they can chase you...
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 27th November 2014, 15:12

mopl wrote: and DE annihilators have Blink so they can chase you...

I'm not sure, but I think they can only blink if you're in LOS.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 27th November 2014, 15:31

GDR does nothing to lcs. Not that would matter in any case anyway

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 27th November 2014, 15:31

Indeed, monsters cannot do anything except move if you (or your summons/allies) are not in their LOS.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 27th November 2014, 16:50

Hurkyl wrote:

What I meant is that they can blink close to you, and then double-LCS ! But I realize that wasn't really clear !
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 27th November 2014, 21:40

mopl wrote:
Hurkyl wrote:

What I meant is that they can blink close to you, and then double-LCS ! But I realize that wasn't really clear !

For situations like these you should always carry a scroll of silence in elf (or be able to cast silence).

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 1st December 2014, 17:39

Maybe a bit off-topic, but how often do people visit the Elf:2 Hall of Blades to find a nice weapon?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 1st December 2014, 17:46

Fix the killholes - give five random final vault elves wands of digging and make them use them when the player isn't visible.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 1st December 2014, 19:05

XuaXua wrote:Fix the killholes - give five random final vault elves wands of digging and make them use them when the player isn't visible.

And what would you accomplish with that? A lot of players never go to Elf anyway, and after that change the rest wouldn't go there either.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 1st December 2014, 19:13

Magipi wrote:
XuaXua wrote:Fix the killholes - give five random final vault elves wands of digging and make them use them when the player isn't visible.

And what would you accomplish with that? A lot of players never go to Elf anyway, and after that change the rest wouldn't go there either.

I do believe Xua was suggesting to remove Elf from the game. :p

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 1st December 2014, 20:08

Rumbleguts wrote:Maybe a bit off-topic, but how often do people visit the Elf:2 Hall of Blades to find a nice weapon?

I would recommend 'almost never'. You would normally have a good weapon before it becomes non-suicidal to pass through two levels of Elf and then clear Blade. Great mace, battleaxe, great sword, or glaive is a perfectly suitable weapon for winning the game, and they're all common. Acquirement is also pretty viable if you get a scroll early. If your current weapon can kill the Dancing Executioner's Axe of Freezing, then you didn't actually need an upgrade in the first place, and it wasn't guaranteed to match your chosen weapon skill anyway. Plus you have to dump a completely new set of enchant scrolls on your new weapon even if you get what you want, and you really shouldn't have been hoarding them in the first place.

There's also a pretty sizable chance of drawing a dancing distortion weapon of some sort, and if you do it is almost guaranteed to be super-annoying if not actually lethal. Even if I can survive a lengthy stay in the Abyss, that doesn't mean I want to.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
nago

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 1st December 2014, 21:26

Not to mention, Hall of Blades isn't a thing anymore..

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 1st December 2014, 21:28

Blade got crammed into Elf 2 for some reason. I don't even know why. Elf 2 already had an unfavorable ratio of xp and loot to risk, and now it's worse.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 1st December 2014, 21:34

Hall of Blades: I play a lot of spriggans, and if I have Invisibility and a stabby build I do visit Hall of blades. Free XP, and surprisingly often good weapons- a chance at a quickblade, a good scimitar or double sword.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 1st December 2014, 21:34

KoboldLord wrote:
Rumbleguts wrote:Maybe a bit off-topic, but how often do people visit the Elf:2 Hall of Blades to find a nice weapon?

I would recommend 'almost never'. You would normally have a good weapon before it becomes non-suicidal to pass through two levels of Elf and then clear Blade. Great mace, battleaxe, great sword, or glaive is a perfectly suitable weapon for winning the game, and they're all common. Acquirement is also pretty viable if you get a scroll early. If your current weapon can kill the Dancing Executioner's Axe of Freezing, then you didn't actually need an upgrade in the first place, and it wasn't guaranteed to match your chosen weapon skill anyway. Plus you have to dump a completely new set of enchant scrolls on your new weapon even if you get what you want, and you really shouldn't have been hoarding them in the first place.

There's also a pretty sizable chance of drawing a dancing distortion weapon of some sort, and if you do it is almost guaranteed to be super-annoying if not actually lethal. Even if I can survive a lengthy stay in the Abyss, that doesn't mean I want to.

It's not such a terrible place to shop for a weapon for extended, just because I can kill a dancing weapon doesn't mean I can kill cerebov, but you're probably right that it's not worth the risk for a 3 rune win. It's probably about as worth doing as the rest of elf, honestly.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 1st December 2014, 21:57

Well I have to thank you all for the feedback. I'm currently running a MfSk and for once, I might actually just ignore Elf, but when the time comes I'll be sure to use much advice. Specifically the killhole idea, shows how much of a noob I am for not ever doing that. Also, sorry for the delay of replying! I haven't had internet all week because I wasn't at home. Thanks again! :D
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?
~380,000 (with wrapper on)

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 2nd December 2014, 04:41

I don't remember ever dying in Elf:3 with a spellcaster with {MR+++} and a bolt spell, Iron Shot, or Poison Arrow. Ok, once to a deep elf blademaster but that was YASD from my part. Don't know about other combos as I mainly play casters and SpEns. SpEns have high MR and can stab through most of Elf. The vault in Elf:3 is harder for SpEns from but manageable with a secondary line of offence and/or Mass Confusion or Alistair's Intoxication.
Spellcasting penalties, Armour skill, and strength
15 runes: 2x HuSk, Op(Mo,Tm,Wn,Fi,Wr,EE,AM,Wz,Ne), VSTm, DsTm, Dg(Sk,Tm), MuGl, GhMo, Fe(En,EE,Ar,Wn,IE)
3 runes: FoFi, OgSk, KoHu, SpCj, 2x DgGl, MiBe, Fe(Fi,Tm,Mo,Su)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 2nd December 2014, 05:35

McGeekster wrote:How to NOT die in Elf?

Die in Orc?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 2nd December 2014, 13:57

XuaXua wrote:
McGeekster wrote:How to NOT die in Elf?

Die in Orc?

I find the most efficient way is to die on D:1. Kobolds with branded daggers and adders are especially helpful in this regard, especially when they're right outside the entrance vault and there's no room to maneuver. One time I even had a gnoll outside the entrance to help me out in this regard.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 2nd December 2014, 14:10

That's actually a bulletproof plan to avoid dying in all the most dangerous parts of the game. No chance of dying in vaults, zot, elf, or anywhere else!
I guess the game has been solved, finally.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 2nd December 2014, 15:25

Or you could just leave the dungeon on D1 without fighting anything.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 2nd December 2014, 18:55

crawl; the only way to win is not to play

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 2nd December 2014, 19:48

notcluie wrote:crawl; the only way to win is not to play

Only bots could come to such conclusion. Even though I agree that Crawl is a strange game.
Spellcasting penalties, Armour skill, and strength
15 runes: 2x HuSk, Op(Mo,Tm,Wn,Fi,Wr,EE,AM,Wz,Ne), VSTm, DsTm, Dg(Sk,Tm), MuGl, GhMo, Fe(En,EE,Ar,Wn,IE)
3 runes: FoFi, OgSk, KoHu, SpCj, 2x DgGl, MiBe, Fe(Fi,Tm,Mo,Su)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 2nd December 2014, 20:02

How about a nice game of Dwarf Fortress?

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks: 2
math4jedi, ThreeInvisibleDucks

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice