Weapon choice: Halflings and Kiku's final gift

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 7th November 2014, 14:22

Weapon choice: Halflings and Kiku's final gift

I already mentioned this on ##crawl, but it got me thinking again ...

I have a HaFi of Kiku, wearing +3 PDA. The RNG decided to confuse me with good weapons, too: I have a plain +5 quick blade and a +2 demon blade of pain (!) -- and I haven't yet used Kiku's final gift. Short blades skill is already high.

Normally I would without a thought immediately pain brand the quick blade. But now I already have a demon blade of pain. So, the question is: Should I consider going for the necronomicon?

I think the question is: Is there any point at all in trying to get a Halfling to be able to cast Death's Door and/or B.'s Revification reliably or is the opportunity cost to high? Maybe I should add that I'm generally able to play cautiously and deal with dangerous situations, but I'm very prone to make that one dumb mistake once in a while that get's me killed or close to being killed.

So, here's how I see the pros and cons:

Sticking with the demon blade and getting the necronomicon:

• + qblade of pain does more damage per turn on non-resistant foes, but demon blade of pain does more damage per key press and has thus higher rSuicide*.
  • + If death's door or b's revification are feasible without a crippling opportunity cost, that would be an enormous asset to my survival

• - If the opportunity cost for ddoor or revification is too high for Ha in PDA, there's really no point in getting the Necronomicon at all.
  • - Though my current damage output is good, a qblade of pain would still be better and it would be better NOW.

(* rSuicide: "Tab, tab, tab ... My fingers hurt from pressing Tab ... tab, tab, tab ... oh, this situation is becoming dangerous ... tab, tab ... I should probably do something ... tab, tab ... I could dye ... tab, tab, tab ... Well, if I do, then it's at least over ... tab, tab, tab ... oh, I survived ... meh, could have started a heavy weapon user ...")
"... while we / Unburden'd crawl toward death." -- King Lear I,1

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 7th November 2014, 14:40

Re: Weapon choice: Halflings and Kiku's final gift

If you are going for 3 rune win, I think you can ignore Necronomicon. Otherwise it can be useful.

Edit. autofight_stop=70 and tab is not going to kill you.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 7th November 2014, 14:48

I think it's best to brand the quickblade. If you are going for 15 runes it would probably not be super terrible to get the Necronomicon, so in that case get it if you want to. But even then branding the quickblade would probably be a bit better.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 7th November 2014, 15:00

Yes, three runes. So I branded the quick blade. Thank you!
"... while we / Unburden'd crawl toward death." -- King Lear I,1

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 7th November 2014, 21:41

Sandman25 wrote:autofight_stop=70 and tab is not going to kill you.

Mara doesn't seem to think so.
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?
~380,000 (with wrapper on)

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice