Stabbers keep splatting

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 6th November 2014, 14:06

Stabbers keep splatting

Hello all!

I'm having a lot of trouble getting a stabbing character past the dungeon and the rune branches. This one I'm currently on has been near death ever so many times, and that's with a really good RNG run on loot. I think I've played decently so far, haven't been overly reliant on invis...but I'm really out of ideas at this point. I've done many ascensions with heavy armor melee and with nuke casters, but I've had no luck on stabbers, whether Na, DS, or Ko.

Any advice?

Here is the dump

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/mrbobbyg/mrbobbyg.txt

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th November 2014, 14:48

Re: Stabbers keep splatting

Learn Enslavement, it's a great spell for both fighting and retreat. En of Dith is somewhat tricky because Dith does not provide a way to kill monsters which you cannot stab.
Silence is a great spell, especially in Elf. Also Haste can make the character much easier so probably now it's the hardest part of the game for the character before you get Haste castable. Consider crosstraining into Long Blades if you have a decent weapon somewhere. Do you have Shadow Creatures?

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
mrbobbyg

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th November 2014, 15:57

Also, Inner Flame is great to combine with Enslavement.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
mrbobbyg

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 6th November 2014, 16:42

Kiku works wonders for a stabber, good spells and pain brand to deal with things you can't stab.
Official Online Wins and Streaks
Experimental Wins: 1xImHu (Imps) 1xTrBe (chunkless)
Offline Wins: 2xTrCK 1xFeBe 1xHuWn 1xKoAr 1xMiFi

For this message the author nilsbloodaxe has received thanks:
Sar

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 6th November 2014, 17:05

Anything you can't stab - run away! :-)

That said - it's a bit easier if you go Spriggan I think, as they're faster and allow you get out of harms way faster.
3-5 rune wins: NaMo of Chei, SpEn of Ash, MiBe, VsBe. 15 rune win: DeFe of Vehumet

For this message the author zedzed has received thanks:
mrbobbyg

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 6th November 2014, 20:40

Sandman25 wrote:Learn Enslavement, it's a great spell for both fighting and retreat. En of Dith is somewhat tricky because Dith does not provide a way to kill monsters which you cannot stab.

Unless you come across Magic Dart, which allowing you to trigger shadow shards relatively little MP cost and little to no skill investment. Maybe other spells work for this purpose too.

For this message the author Hurkyl has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th November 2014, 20:47

Hurkyl wrote:Unless you come across Magic Dart, which allowing you to trigger shadow shards relatively little MP cost and little to no skill investment. Maybe other spells work for this purpose too.

Yes, that makes sense. I remember killing a Hill Giant with 2 Throw Frosts :)

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 7th November 2014, 05:09

Strategically, you need to add some means of killing monsters without stabbing. Conjurations work well with Dithmenos and Summons can help with your MR hole by blocking LOS. Long Blades aren't a large investment and they can clean up the weaker monsters with less effort.

For this message the author primordial has received thanks:
RoGGa

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 7th November 2014, 05:36

Warp Weapon (or Lugonu's Distortion brand) is useful for combats to enemies that you can't stab.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 7th November 2014, 09:52

primordial wrote:Strategically, you need to add some means of killing monsters without stabbing. Conjurations work well with Dithmenos and Summons can help with your MR hole by blocking LOS. Long Blades aren't a large investment and they can clean up the weaker monsters with less effort.

This is good advice in general. However, the character in question has an elec dagger, and it certainly qualifies.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 8th November 2014, 17:32

Hurkyl wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:Learn Enslavement, it's a great spell for both fighting and retreat. En of Dith is somewhat tricky because Dith does not provide a way to kill monsters which you cannot stab.

Unless you come across Magic Dart, which allowing you to trigger shadow shards relatively little MP cost and little to no skill investment. Maybe other spells work for this purpose too.

Dazzling Spray as En of Dith works very nicely, setting many things up for stabs and courtesy of Dith turning into a decent damage conjuration other times.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 8th November 2014, 22:22

Cycle your weapons. I can't see the dump - looks like a MiFi instead of a stabber - but that's my advice, and as we speak I've got a SpAs^Dith doing pretty damn well.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/corvin/corvin.txt

What I mean is, get a decent ranged option, even with no skill in it. Pull dudes. Play carefully. Kill one by one. If it's too strong, try poisoning it, or draining it, or any other status effect you can think of to weaken it enough to kill. Throwing nets are your friend. Dazzling spray was mentioned above, and is awesome. Meph cloud if you have rpois, then fight inside the clouds. Crawl gives you all the tools you need to kill all the dudes, but you have to tailor your playstyle to your character. Or your character to your playstyle, but you have to do it. Playing a stabber like she's a tank is how I get dead.

For this message the author corvin has received thanks:
JFunk

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 22nd November 2014, 02:04

I have this same issue
I love pitsprint and pitsprint culture.
dpeg wrote:The only good player is a dead player.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 17:32

Heh, me too. I just started on a Spriggan Assassin but gods how useless is high stealth when you actually want to walk up to something and kill it. The worst is when they wake up while you are next to them. Spriggans I can run away with but I'm thinking anyone else (played by me) would have been a hundred times over. I just got to the Lair but I just don't see how I'm getting through it. yet.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 17:34

as isnt a stabber class, its gl with a short blade and a blowgun

For this message the author notcluie has received thanks: 3
duvessa, Lyrick, Sar

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 27th November 2014, 07:31

Well I would never have thought of that.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice