Vampire strategies/staying "alive"

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 13th October 2014, 23:39

Vampire strategies/staying "alive"

Is it practical for a vampire to try to remain "alive" throughout the course of a 3 rune game? I think it would be interesting to have the fast regeneration, I'm not terribly worried about stealth or having rpois/cold/negative resists. I'd be mostly meleeing things, so I shouldn't have too much spell hunger. I'd also be willing to consider kiku for corpse delivery, although I'm not terribly sure if kiku would be best otherwise, although I wouldn't mind getting a kiku win regardless of absolute power.

If you want to throw in general vampire tips as well, I won't object ;)

Barkeep

Post Monday, 13th October 2014, 23:43

Re: Vampire strategies/staying "alive"

Well, you only want to be alive when you are in a fight, or while recovering just after a fight, since otherwise you aren't getting much in the way of benefit from Alive status. So I'd just aim to keep a few extra vials of blood on hand compared to what you normally would. Kiku would be the best idea, I'd say, though maybe Gozag would be doable, too. You can just train slightly more spellcasting or put more into intelligence, if the spell hunger is becoming a drag. I wouldn't try to stay alive *constantly* that just sounds like a nightmare (and also probably impossible, because the status only lasts for a very short time).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 13th October 2014, 23:45

It's very easy once you reach lair, yeah.

and into wrote:Well, you only want to be alive when you are in a fight, or while recovering just after a fight, since otherwise you aren't getting much in the way of benefit from Alive status.
That's some pretty nuts logic, since other hunger states don't give you any benefits outside of combat either.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 14th October 2014, 00:21

High stealth is good and near bloodless is a lot less hassle. (Well vp is kind of a hassle in general, but even relative to vp's baseline.) The thing you give up at higher satiation that hurts the most is the ability to turn into a bat when you want to, but I take that to be part of a kind of self-imposed challenge here.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 14th October 2014, 01:12

I assume the half-potion-effect thing got removed? If not then staying near bloodless is a lot more dangerous than staying at other blood levels.

If you want to stay at alive you're basically saying you don't really want to play a vampire, which is completely fine (my most enjoyable Vp worshipped Jiyva, which basically keeps you at Alive all the time), but I would probably suggest you just pick a different race at character creation instead.

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
duvessa

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 14th October 2014, 01:32

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5724c68 | Chris Campbell | 2014-05-21 23:28:17 +0100

Don't reduce potion effects for Vampires at low blood levels
It was an effect that only noticeably applied to a few types of potion, and was
generally fairly overcomplicated (since things like might and resistance had
their duration but not their effect reduced, other potions like magic and
restore abilities were just unchanged, and so on).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with you though, crate, that this is kind of weird thing to want to do (no offense tasonir) since I don't think it would be a challenge, just kind of weird and probably annoying to stay Alive constantly. But I guess the heart wants what it wants. I'm not sure there's really much strategy, just choose a reasonable background and worship Kiku to make your life a bit easier, I'd say.

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 14th October 2014, 01:36

magic was unchanged but heal wounds wasnt lol what the fuck

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
and into

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 14th October 2014, 03:34

crate wrote:I assume the half-potion-effect thing got removed? If not then staying near bloodless is a lot more dangerous than staying at other blood levels.

If you want to stay at alive you're basically saying you don't really want to play a vampire, which is completely fine (my most enjoyable Vp worshipped Jiyva, which basically keeps you at Alive all the time), but I would probably suggest you just pick a different race at character creation instead.

You've hit the nail on the head here - I have little interest in vampire, but I need them for greatplayer ;) I'm thinking the main flaw with trying to stay between full to alive is that you don't get batform, which is a pretty big loss. I will probably have to come up with a new plan.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 14th October 2014, 03:39

To give a bit of reasoning as to why I asked the question, I was basically trying to avoid actually playing a vampire, and figured if I could stay fed I could get high regen while being mostly a human, have +1 unarmed combat, and be able to use transmutations. But it turns out to be a bit too annoying, and you lose batform, which is rather nice to have. I'll probably end up going ice elementalist or something else. I played a few enchanters and I usually do well until I make some silly mistake and die instantly...will probably go magic instead.

But yeah, just trying to avoid vampires while winning a vampire.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 14th October 2014, 06:15

My favorite vampire game was a VpBe who branded a claymore with vamp somewhere past Lair and never had to eat after that.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 14th October 2014, 09:17

tasonir wrote:I'm not terribly sure if kiku would be best otherwise, although I wouldn't mind getting a kiku win regardless of absolute power.

Which god would you pick otherwise? (Chei? :D )

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 14th October 2014, 17:14

Confession: yes. If you're alive, you have fast regen, and can use forms...Statue form or blade hands vampire with +1 unarmed! :P I know, it's terrible. I'll start up some ice elementalists instead :)

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 14th October 2014, 18:38

You can also make vampire wizard of sif, and go summoner and/or conjurer depending on how you feel, it's quite safe and very effective.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 14th October 2014, 20:32

Sar wrote:My favorite vampire game was a VpBe who branded a claymore with vamp somewhere past Lair and never had to eat after that.

Vampiric brands feed vampires, but no one else?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 14th October 2014, 20:48

No, vampiric weapons heal vampires even better than they heal non-vampires. So I was at full HP after 99% of fights and for the one percent that took more than half of my HP I could just activate Trog's Hand instead of bothering with feeding.

I think I did quaff some blood for orb run, though.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 15th October 2014, 08:49

You can stay at satiated in general and just quaff a blood potion to become full and cast blade hands, which should get you down to satiated again.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 17th October 2014, 22:52

I"ve been trying to hit up some vampire gladiators starting with LB.

Some of them found altars to Makhleb which were nice. You could stay around Thirsty and that was pretty convenient.

Others found a nice dagger and switched between them. I tried to get them worshipping Dith but then I get cocky.

One found a ring of invisibility and had a lot of fun. (But the duration is really short and he got lynched by some giants.)
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice