0.15 Beogh gifts

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 23rd September 2014, 10:32

0.15 Beogh gifts

Hello, crawling community.
Do you know exactly how works the new 0.15 Beogh ability to grant new equipment?
I know he now gifts ammunition and ranged weapons, armour, and weapons. Interestingly, he even grants weapons if the named orc follower have one already.
Liek he granting a +1 glaive to a halberd-wielding knight.
So just how far does this ability extends? It seems that orcs cannot wear other armour items, such as boots, gloves, cloak or helmets. They as well cannot be given rings, granted wands, quaff potions.
Does Beogh grant branded weapons or armour, does grants/improves shields, grants something else?
Tell, or link to the discussion thread plz.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 25th September 2014, 06:44

Re: 0.15 Beogh gifts

Randomic wrote:Hello, crawling community.
Do you know exactly how works the new 0.15 Beogh ability to grant new equipment?
I know he now gifts ammunition and ranged weapons, armour, and weapons. Interestingly, he even grants weapons if the named orc follower have one already.
So just how far does this ability extends? It seems that orcs cannot wear other armour items, such as boots, gloves, cloak or helmets. They as well cannot be given rings, granted wands, quaff potions.
Does Beogh grant branded weapons or armour, does grants/improves shields, grants something else?
Tell, or link to the discussion thread plz.

"Give a follower an item" is an ability of Beogh. It isn't like Trog or Oka. You must have an unequipped weapon in your inventory to give and you must select the orc to receive the gift only once per receiver.

So no, Beogh grants no weapons, armor etc. He merely allows you to once per game per follower swap their current weapon for something in your inventory. (They drop what they were wielding before.) At least that has been my experience with him.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 25th September 2014, 06:56

That's not true, Beogh will gift naked orcs equipment and upgrade their weapons and armour (both enchantment and base types) in 0.15. I don't know about the finer details, though. I know he'll gift ranged weapons and ammo.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 08:13

Sar wrote:That's not true, Beogh will gift naked orcs equipment and upgrade their weapons and armour (both enchantment and base types) in 0.15. I don't know about the finer details, though. I know he'll gift ranged weapons and ammo.

A little more specificity would be good when refuting a claim.

What I said is true as far as I know, because it what I experienced and matches up with the description of the abilities. It may also be true that somehow your Orcs can get equipment upgrades but you don't control that (and fwiw I never experienced this once with my Beoghites.) Which would make part of my statement untrue though not by intent. And AFAIK he never grants items to players which is where the comparison to Trog/Oka come in or so I understood from the OP's question so there is that.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 08:59

speciwhat

There's a lot of related commits which you can see here: http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=commit&s=beogh

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
Hopeless, ldf

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 17:35

Beogh will grant body armours, weapons and ammo to named orcs who lack them (also shields if no 2-handed waepons), and only then. He will also upgrade enchantment and base type of gear for orcs who have these, though with few rules:
- from 1-handed to 2-handed only when no shield
- if he decides to give ranged weapons, it will be arbalest if no shield, tomahawks otherwise (or ammo to already possessed slings/blowguns/hand crossbows, but he won't give those)
- he will never upgrade base type from/to demon weapons or artefacts (but will upgrade enchantment on a demon weapon)
- only case when he'll change the weapon category is sbl->lbl

It seems that orcs cannot wear other armour items, such as boots, gloves, cloak or helmets. They as well cannot be given rings, granted wands, quaff potions.
Yes, just body armours, shields, weapons and ammo.

Interestingly, he even grants weapons if the named orc follower have one already.
He won't give your halberd-wielding orc a glaive, but instead upgrade the halberd, conserving its brand and enchantment (possibly also adding some enchantment, but not brand).

Does Beogh grant branded weapons or armour
No, only upgrades already-branded gear.

does grants/improves shields
Yes, both, and both base type and enchantment.

Interestingly, he'll also upgrade troll/dragon hides to armour, and then the armour's enchantment, but never gifts those.
Also a fun fact: -tele equipment on an orc doesn't prevent recall (a bug maybe?).

Hopeless wrote:And AFAIK he never grants items to players which is where the comparison to Trog/Oka come in or so I understood from the OP's question so there is that.
You can always send them to death from monsters :P

For this message the author stickyfingers has received thanks: 2
rockygargoyle, Sar

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 19:47

stickyfingers wrote:
Hopeless wrote:And AFAIK he never grants items to players which is where the comparison to Trog/Oka come in or so I understood from the OP's question so there is that.
You can always send them to death from monsters :P

Heh I considered this after my last post. :D But that would be sooooo sleezy, I can't believe Beogh would let that slide :Smirk: :lol:

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice