Condensation shield

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 00:40

Condensation shield

Is it worth learning? How does it compare to Ozocubu's Armor? I'm a Sludge Elf Transmuter, by the way.

Another question: How does mephitic cloud differ from evaporate, apart from not spending potions on it, and not being able to choose the exact effects of the cloud? I've been assuming that there's no reason to learn mephitic cloud when I have evaporate, is this correct?

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 00:55

Re: Condensation shield

Francis wrote:Is it worth learning? How does it compare to Ozocubu's Armor?

Condensation shield is great if you prefer 2-handed weapons (if not, just use a regular shield).

As for comparing with Ozocubu's Armor: Don't compare it. Use both :)

For this message the author Katak has received thanks: 2
Francis, rcnr

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 01:00

I'm fighting unarmed. So it's like I get a small shield without using the hand and without spellcasting penalty?

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 01:07

Henzell wrote: Gives a shield with SH 3 + ICE_MAGIC/4 (SH 2 + ICE_MAGIC/6 in 0.5-) stacks with the shield from the helm card.
It gives you the benefits of a (not very good) shield without having to use up a hand to hold a shield. Does nothing if you are wearing a shield. Interestingly, does 2-14 damage to you per round if you have negative cold resistance, so don't do that!

The usefulness of the spell depends on shield skill, so you might want to use a real shield to victory dance up to level 1 at least.

Also: the shield evaporates whenever it's hit by any kind of fire attack, coming and going. Even zero damage fire spells. So every time you cast evaporate, poof goes your shield. Whether or not this is a problem depends on your play style.

Consensus is it's not a great spell, but it can help.

For this message the author mageykun has received thanks:
Francis

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 01:28

mageykun wrote:The usefulness of the spell depends on shield skill, so you might want to use a real shield to victory dance up to level 1 at least.

^This always annoyed me. I can't use it with a shield, but to use it effectively, I need Shields skill, which requires a real shield to train in a timely fashion. If it is going to be dependent on Shields skill for usable SH, perhaps it should add a small amount of SH to real shield, such that buckler<(buckler+CS)<shield.
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 02:56

mageykun wrote:the shield evaporates whenever it's hit by any kind of fire attack, coming and going. Even zero damage fire spells. So every time you cast evaporate, poof goes your shield. Whether or not this is a problem depends on your play style.

Consensus is it's not a great spell, but it can help.

That this spell is situational means that most casters want to go air for repel/deflect missiles. It's good in controlled situations, but in a pack of yaktaurs just one with fire-branded ammo makes it useless. I'd love to see it damaged by fire rather then outright dissipated. It's an interesting spell but not strong enough rely on.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 10:59

Gets dispersed too easily and seems to have a short duration compared to other buffs. I've tried using it on several characters but it never really seems to be much use.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 15:34

If it were L4 I think it would be balance. Or, just the fact that not all build go out of their way for it may mean that it's a balanced buff. Many other buffs are a bit overstrong.

Personally, I can't wait for permanent versions of duration-based spells. I hope they come soon in 0.9. I'm eager to test them. I think CS would be nice as such.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 22:36

smock wrote:I'd love to see it damaged by fire rather then outright dissipated.

Yeah me too. It's been on the wiki for a while. Today, I coded it :)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks: 2
dolphin, smock

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 15th April 2011, 02:16

Thanks! That should make it a decent L5 spell.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th April 2011, 03:03

This is exactly why a wand of cold/frost or an area effect cold blast should be able to remove sticky flame.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice