concerning summoner and gods

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 18:55

concerning summoner and gods

Since papa Vehumet no longer gives summoners his books, is Sif Muna the only real choice left?

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 19:18

Re: concerning summoner and gods

Keep in mind that your species and god have more influence over your early game than your class. Also summoners don't really work the same way they used to back in the good ole Vehumet book gift days, but as a class are (imo) much stronger in a less cheese way.

That said here are some gods I would pick

Kiku (Why not give necromancy a shot? He gives you a bunch of nifty utilites and will brand you dat pain brand)
TSO (He let's your summons see invisible enemies with his halo, so that's a bit of a plus. Not great in the early game though.)
Deathmangoes (Stealth and meat walls have beautiful ~~synergy~~)
Sif (Not one of my favorites, but comes with some obvious perks)

Really, most gods are acceptable for a summoner... Just have some fun with it, there's no reason to pigeonhole yourself to SIf.

Spoiler: show
Sif isn't that good anyway

e: Veh isnt great :|
Last edited by Greyr on Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 19:25

sif, ash, tso, xom are the four gods that actually have some kind of benefit with summons, probably roughly in that order (or maybe dith but I've not tried it and have no intention to do so)
you can obviously worship other gods but if you do then I would probably question why you picked summoner

kiku and veh are pretty bad unless you dont like actually having piety (neither of them give piety for summon kills, unless it's kiku and the summon is undead) (or if you're playing a version with vehumet summoning support, in which case he's very good, but that's several versions ago now)
(I'm not sure if veh grants mp on summon kills)

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
duvessa

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 19:27

crate wrote:sif, ash, tso, xom are the four gods that actually have some kind of benefit with summons, probably roughly in that order

Ash and Xom... how?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 19:33

Ash is good because you get better summons for less investment (skill boost) and get better melee for less investment (skill boost). It's basically TSO but you don't get your spells blocked (but you have to deal with cursing equipment).

Xom because summons end up being good at amusing xom (lightning spire in particular basically always hits itself which amuses xom) and are good at reducing tension so a xom summoner mostly just ends up with several good mutations and no real drawbacks. It's really quite different from your typical Xom game. (It's also a great example of why Xom doesn't actually work the way Xom is supposed to work in some situations. Even just removing the ability to amuse Xom would be a huge improvement from a design standpoint and summoner makes this pretty obvious.)

I'm not saying that if you want to win a summoner then Xom is better than, say, Trog or Fedhas for winning (in fact trog and fedhas are probably two of the better gods if your goal is "start as a summoner and win the game", but I would question why that is your goal since the best way to do so in those cases is just to abandon your background; I'm assuming here that your goal is "play a character who uses lots of summons, and then win the game"). What I'm saying is that Xom actually becomes specifically better if you're a summoner, whereas Trog is of course worse and Fedhas doesn't do anything special.

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 4
duvessa, Magipi, Quazifuji, rockygargoyle

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 19:42

crate wrote:kiku and veh are pretty bad unless you dont like actually having piety (neither of them give piety for summon kills, unless it's kiku and the summon is undead) (or if you're playing a version with vehumet summoning support, in which case he's very good, but that's several versions ago now)
(I'm not sure if veh grants mp on summon kills)

I haven't played around with Veh very much since the changes, but yeah, Veh is not great for a summoner. I just checked, he does not give MP for summon kills.

Kiku on the other hand. I'd say the advantages outweigh not being able to gain piety via summons. You will have access to better spells when your beginning book starts to wear thin (and if you are planning on going crazy heavy magic investment, can forgo the pain brand for the Necronomicon).
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 20:35

I miss Papa Vehu's book delivery service so much ;_;

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 20:40

Tell me about it.
Talk about a one-stop-shop.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 22:11

Hey, I'm currently playing an OgSu of Chei!

(Will probably splat soon.)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 23:29

Makhleb and Lucy also accepts ally kills for piety, and are both fairly strong for virtually any kind of character
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 23:40

I haven't checked but I remember Makhleb doesn't restore hp on summons' kills, plus I don't find his abilities so great for a summoner (more summons and a aoe which is going to rage your summons?!)
My only try with a Su of tso ended in a ragequit because every time you try to attack some non demon undead foe you get warning that's going to piss off tso so you either stop to tab by lair or just decide to spend more time waiting than actually hitting something in combat

Ash for me is the best God (aka the less annoying for an already very annoying background), for the reasons crate mentioned
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 5th October 2014, 10:20

I'm not sure I could say that Cheibriados is a good choice for summoners, but it's an interesting one - and certainly summons are a good choice if you're with chei.
Spellpower for your spells, along with improved defenses from the stat boosts.
Having allies makes cheimoving in sight of foes safer.
Having allies lets you get away from enemies, too.
Step from time / temporal distortion may or may not do cool things (I think they allowed Malign Gateway to kill things, but I'm not sure as it was some time ago - don't think I tried them with normal summons).
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 5th October 2014, 19:47

Chei doesnt give piety for ally kills, and slouch kills your allies, so I really don't think su of chei makes sense, especially since moving around in combat is actually even better for su than for most types of character.

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 3
duvessa, Lasty, Psiweapon

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 5th October 2014, 21:54

Well, for what it's worth, my OgSu of Chei was killed in an Ice Cave. Not a combo I would recommend, for the aforementioned reasons.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice