MuCj Woes

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 30th September 2014, 22:41

MuCj Woes

I'm really struggling to get this combo off the ground, which is a shame because for some reason I love playing it. While Crawl thankfully doesn't encourage generic playstyles, trusting the player to adapt to the needs of the Dungeon... are there any generic tips from those who feel the Mummy love?
Wins: TrMo^Oka, GrBe, MiBe

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 1st October 2014, 00:38

Re: MuCj Woes

What exactly is killing you?

Not knowing that, here are some tips:

• Running away while getting back up to 3 MP is usually preferable to trying to hit things with unarmed combat.
  • Usually, need most of your MP bar, if not all of it (or more) to kill things. Therefore, if you miscast your first spell of a battle, run away and regain the MP rather than continuing. Similarly if your first cast of Magic dart doesn't hurt the monster.
  • When you hit level 2, Searing Ray does incredible damage. It should be your main attack spell. It is convenient with regards to miscasts too. (the extra rays cannot miscast)

For this message the author Hurkyl has received thanks:
Scrawl

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st October 2014, 09:59

Out of gods I would probably recommend Kiku.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Scrawl

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st October 2014, 14:08

At what point do you start getting problems? I trained Conjurations exclusively until it reached 9 and it felt pretty decent combo, the easiest Mu background IMHO (for me).
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12088

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
Scrawl

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 00:20

Sar wrote:Out of gods I would probably recommend Kiku.

It probably goes without saying, but take the pain brand offering, as the Necronomicon is hella useless for mummies.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
Sar

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 01:19

njvack wrote:

It probably goes without saying, but take the pain brand offering, as the Necronomicon is hella useless for mummies.

but the wiki guide says...

... and haunt.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 14:57

Haunt is cool. But I stand by that statement -- your choice is "pain dagger by mid-D" or "one dual school L7 spell to get online with mummy aptitudes."
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 2
Bloax, Scrawl

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 17:05

Not to mention, if it goes anything like my Kiku games, you'll have found 3 necronomicons by then anyway.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 17:34

Greyr wrote:
njvack wrote:

but the wiki guide says...

... and haunt.

Sarcasm.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 03:11

Thanks for all the replies, late reply due to work. I tend to make it to Lair, just get Battlesphere online and am just starting to have fun with it when something (either a unique or a swarm or a player mistake) ends me all of a sudden. I really feel the lack of consumables. I hadn't tried Kiku thinking there'd be too much overlap, so I'll just start up the run now. Fingers crossed for a CiP run!

Edit: On D2 I found a +2 leather armor of fire resistance and a ring of protection from fire. Fainting from disbelief.
Wins: TrMo^Oka, GrBe, MiBe

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 05:49

Basically with Kiku you hope he gives you Animate Skeleton/Dead. Then you just press aa every time you enter a level a bunch of times and make a small army of skellies/zombies.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 5th October 2014, 08:27

I have had a bit of a small obsession with mummies lately since I want to go for extended game content, and I think the best thing is to take advantage of the no food clock and always go Sif. Infinite channeling turns a fairly poor race into an incredible one, especially late game when their innate resistances start to matter. Tomb is actually my number one spot for easy xp as a MuNe, as long as you have Aura of Abjuration and Dispel Undead. Oh yeah, start as a MuNe instead, and hope Sif gifts you a book with Bolt of Draining fairly soon; spell is very underrated and powerful with the mummy's necro power boosts and not-sucky-like-the-rest necromancy aptitude.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 5th October 2014, 08:31

Personally I would still go Kiku on MuNe because I have those Animate spells in my book and Kiku will give me infinite corpses and that means I can do basically whatever until the endgame. It's really hard to die when you can make a small army as soon as you enter a level.

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 5th October 2014, 18:43

And also Kiku is pretty likely to give you bolt of draining, and will definitely give you some combination of useful necro spells beyond what is in your starting book. Plus you can stick pain brand on a low investment fast weapon, which gives very good melee so cheaply that the -2 weapon skill apt isn't too much of a drag.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice