Is Fo of Chei the worst idea ever?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 22:02

Is Fo of Chei the worst idea ever?

Formicids can't haste themselves anyway, so it seems like they are giving up less than other species if they follow Chei - but since they are also unable to teleport/blink, slow movement can leave them completely without escape options, which might make them the worst possible species to worship Chei… ?

Also, while I'm asking about Fo, does casting Blade Hands still meld shields, or can they use Blade Hands + shield?

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 22:52

Re: Is Fo of Chei the worst idea ever?

Blade hands still melds shields.

Chei is still the best god.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 23:03

The best way to answer these questions (unless you're worried about win-rate, in which case, gods help you) is to play the combo a few times and see how it goes. I've been having a lot of fun with MuCj at the moment...
Wins: TrMo^Oka, GrBe, MiBe

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 23:40

my experience with fo of chei is that you don't have particularly more problems than you do as fo of other god

(the biggest problem by a lot with formicid is you're a formicid)

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
duvessa

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 30th September 2014, 01:01

I think Fo of Chei is pretty good. It might not be the best at having the highest possible chance of winning but in my experience it leads to a very easy game once you get a good source of melee damage going at around Lair (I've won 3 Fo of Chei). The logic is that since they're somewhat bad at escaping from dangerous situations because they don't have tp scrolls, you might as well never need to escape by killing everything really fast. Chei helps with the killing really fast part because 15 stats increase damage by a good amount, especially for blade hands it's huge. Works best with UC or a top tier 2h. Haven't tried a spellcaster of Chei, seems like a death sentence.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 30th September 2014, 05:24

Formicid of Chei is the BEST COMBO IMO.
I won at Chei 7 times.
In my experience, Fo is the best race for Chei except for Gargoyle.
(Maybe Fo of Chei is better than Naga of Chei.)

The reason that Fo of Chei is best is
-Formicid has stasis. They can't escape. But, Slouch and Step From Times help Formicid.
-Chei worshippers want ranged combat( in fact, at normal 3-runes game, Chei worshipers don't need ranged combat, but at 15-runes game, ranged combat is necessary). Formicid can wield crossbow and wear Large shield at the same time.

Maybe you worry about controlled blink.
Yes, controlled blink is a good spell for Chei, but Chei worshippers don't need CBlink.
If you learn the strategy of Chei, you will notice CBlink is not necessary for Chei.

Here is my Fo of Chei morgue. Sorry, it's 3 runes.

http://lazy-life.ddo.jp:8080/morgue/rad ... 121920.txt

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 30th September 2014, 14:40

I'd probably put Chei at 3rd choice for a formicid god. Chei offers escape options, which is what formicids really want from a god, but Zin and Lugonu offer better ones, and are generally better IMO. Walking slowly is particularly scary when you can't use blink or teleport.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 30th September 2014, 14:44

Walking slowly is not problem in most 3-runes game because very very few monsters cast Torment or Hellfire.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 30th September 2014, 14:44

That... isn't exactly true.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 30th September 2014, 15:50

But quite many of them cast "crossbow bolt".

For this message the author stickyfingers has received thanks:
grisamentum

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 30th September 2014, 16:08

If "crossbow bolt" is a problem outside of bullshit aimbot portal projectile spamming naga in snake (and barely even that) then you're doing something horribly wrong with your Chei character.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 30th September 2014, 16:14

Crossbow bolt can be a problem to anyone (AC 60, EV 40 and DMsl) as long as ranged GDR does not exist and you are unlucky with rolls.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 30th September 2014, 16:21

Bloax wrote:If "crossbow bolt" is a problem outside of bullshit aimbot portal projectile spamming naga in snake (and barely even that) then you're doing something horribly wrong with your Chei character.

I have some news for you, my friend:
http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a= ... 06f01ec2b8
Yaktaurs have archer flag now, too (as well as centaurs).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 30th September 2014, 19:17

chei gives you multiple abilities to deal with crossbow enemies (and if you aren't using spells with chei you have the wrong god anyway)

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 30th September 2014, 22:13

Thanks to the ability to dig walls of Formicid, they have a easy time in Snake Pits.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 1st October 2014, 04:57

Lasty wrote:I'd probably put Chei at 3rd choice for a formicid god. Chei offers escape options, which is what formicids really want from a god, but Zin and Lugonu offer better ones, and are generally better IMO. Walking slowly is particularly scary when you can't use blink or teleport.

Ru seems to be a decent choice for a Formicid as well. Power Leap is a handy escape option and Apocalypse is great for killing groups of enemies.

For this message the author HilariousDeathArtist has received thanks:
Sandman25

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 1st October 2014, 07:04

radinms wrote:Thanks to the ability to dig walls of Formicid, they have a easy time in Snake Pits.

Snake:5 rune vaults are made of stone walls so digging ability does not help much there. Making killing hole near the entrance is helpful in some layouts but slowness compromises that pretty early. For example in the salamander ending where you have to travel a long distance inside undiggable fortress, easiness depends on your spellset and overall toughness.

Snake:5 may be easy for a well played formicid of chei but digging ability has got nothing to do with it.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 01:39

Sphara wrote:
radinms wrote:Thanks to the ability to dig walls of Formicid, they have a easy time in Snake Pits.

Snake:5 rune vaults are made of stone walls so digging ability does not help much there. Making killing hole near the entrance is helpful in some layouts but slowness compromises that pretty early. For example in the salamander ending where you have to travel a long distance inside undiggable fortress, easiness depends on your spellset and overall toughness.

Snake:5 may be easy for a well played formicid of chei but digging ability has got nothing to do with it.

Fo^Fedhas = Tower Defense game
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice