Setting to change text or text color in menus?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 23rd September 2014, 00:14

Setting to change text or text color in menus?

I don't know if this is the right forum for setting questions, but I'm wondering if I can change the text or text color of the item category headings in the inventory. It's annoying to read them when they're a dark blue color, so I'm wondering if I can either change their colors, or at least add the item character to the front of them so it's easier to dig through my inventory.

I don't really want to change the color in my ssh client, because I like that dark blue in the abyss and such. I was thinking about making a text substitution "?scroll" for "scroll/s" etc. globally, but I couldn't remember how to do that, and it would be more annoying anyways.

Basically I want to know if there's something I can do in the settings file to go from
  Code:
Wands<-------dark blue
 x - a wand of fire {zapped: 1}
Comestibles
 m - a royal jelly
Scrolls
 q - 3 scrolls of remove curse

to
  Code:
/Wands <------some really bright color
 x - a wand of fire {zapped: 1}
%Comestibles
 m - a royal jelly
?Scrolls
 q - 3 scrolls of remove curse
wins: DEFE, GrFi, DDFi(offline)

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 23rd September 2014, 01:33

Re: Setting to change text or text color in menus?

Nevermind I found it. I don't know how I overlooked that section of options guide.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 23rd September 2014, 09:38

Was it setting menu_colour += inventory|drop:^Wands$:cyan or such, or something else?
(not that this really applies here, but there's nothing more annoying than googling a weird problem, finding a message from somebody with the same problem, and then their next message is "I solved it, nevermind" without saying how)
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 24th September 2014, 02:26

I spoke too soon. I really thought that
"menu_colour += inventory:cyan:^(Scrolls|Armour|Wands|Potions|Hand Weapons|Comestibles|Jewellery)"
was going to work. Maybe menu_colour only works on items? I'm pretty sure my regex is right. Anyone know the details of menu_colour?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 24th September 2014, 16:42

You need to make sure that you're not matching a different menu_colour regex first. Unless you clear the defaults, you cannot use "+=" to override them; you need to use "^="

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 24th September 2014, 23:24

Hmm. Is there something basic I'm missing about editing the init file?

I put "menu_colour ^= inventory:cyan:^(Scrolls|Armour|Wands|Potions|Hand Weapons|Comestibles|Jewellery)" right at the beginning and no luck. I've also tried a wide variety of different regex's. If I do "menu_colour ^= inventory:cyan:scroll" then it will change any line with "scroll" in it to cyan, but try as I may, I can't figure out how to affect the category headings.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 24th September 2014, 23:36

bah, word on IRC is that it can't be done. Maybe I'll make a feature request or something.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice