Burning spellbooks hunger cost

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 9th September 2014, 10:12

Burning spellbooks hunger cost

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but I'm playing MiBe right now and have saved up a big pile of spellbooks (I was thinking of converting for the late game). I've decided to stick with Trog so I should probably burn my stash in case he gives me some nice axes.

My question is, can the hunger cost kill me outright if I press a f next to a big stack of books and my nutrition drops to zero?

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 9th September 2014, 11:21

Re: Burning spellbooks hunger cost

The hunger cost is negligible.

If you are already Starving, you'd have to burn around 50+ books to get to 0 nutrition.
Mangled by Mennas

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 9th September 2014, 12:45

Good to know, thanks!

On a related note, assuming I have enough books to roll over the gift timeout, can more than one gift be delivered in one turn? Otherwise, I should probably split my stack up before burning...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th September 2014, 14:18

My understanding is that it does not matter how many books are burnt, you pay hunger cost for ability invocation only.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th September 2014, 14:19

solipsistnation wrote:Good to know, thanks!

On a related note, assuming I have enough books to roll over the gift timeout, can more than one gift be delivered in one turn? Otherwise, I should probably split my stack up before burning...

I am not sure about Trog but I did get several gifts after sacrificing a single body to Oka. I assume these 2 gods work identically.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 9th September 2014, 14:22

solipsistnation wrote:Good to know, thanks!
can more than one gift be delivered in one turn?

Yes. I've had multiple enemies die from poison in the same turn I burned a pile of corpses and then received multiple gifts in a turn. This was probably in 0.5 or something, though, so it may have changed since then.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 9th September 2014, 16:14

Before you toss all those books on the flames, know that they can be occasionally useful tactically as a conjure flame equivalent that allows you to escape or deal additional damage in one-tile wide hallways. Not incredibly important, but you probably have piety to spare as troglodyte so why burn them.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th September 2014, 17:44

Book of Annihilation makes a dandy land mine!
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice