Skill Training for MiFi

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 29th August 2014, 12:50

Skill Training for MiFi

This is only the third time or so that I've made it this far in the game. I'm playing as MiFi and I've cleared Lair and Orc Mines. I attempted Elf1 but left halfway threw. I just started on Swamp1 going for my first rune. Basically, I want to get feedback on my skill training so far and what to train next. My Character stats are below (I edited the Character dump, I of course have a bunch of scrolls, potions and wants, but I didn't include those).

So, how has been skill training been so far given where I'm at in the game? Did I miss something key, or under train anything? What should I train next? I was thinking either to keep training bows until Level 16-ish or switch back to Armor or Fighting. What would you do?

(Minotaur Fighter)

HP 141/141 AC 22 Str 22 XL: 16 Next: 18%
MP 27/27 EV 7 Int 5 God: Okawaru [*****.]
Gold 1973 SH 0 Dex 16 Spells: 4 memorised, 7 levels left

rFire + . . SeeInvis . N - +4,+6 battleaxe (chop)
rCold . . . Clarity . a - +0 plate armour
rNeg . . . Conserve . (no shield)
rPois + rCorr . (helmet restricted)
rElec . rRot . R - -1 cloak {MR+}
SustAb . . Spirit . y - +0 pair of gloves of the Oligarchy {+Inv rPois rC+}
rMut . Warding . W - +0 pair of boots
Saprov . . . Stasis . J - amulet of rage
MR ++... Q - ring of fire
D - +3 ring of protection

@: very resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: retaliatory headbutt, horns 2
a: Heroism, Finesse, Renounce Religion, Evoke Berserk Rage, Evoke Invisibility

Skills:
- Level 12.5 Fighting
- Level 18.0 Axes
+ Level 14.7 Bows
- Level 5.0 Throwing
- Level 12.6 Armour
Level 3.6 Shields
- Level 7.0 Invocations
- Level 12.2 Evocations

You are on level 1 of the Swamp.
You worship Okawaru.
Okawaru is extremely pleased with you.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
c - a scimitar of flaming
A - a +1,+4 bow of flame
N - a +4,+6 battleaxe of chopping (weapon)
Missiles
f - 2 poisoned javelins (quivered)
m - 80 arrows
q - 32 arrows of flame
M - 24 arrows of dispersal
T - 43 poisoned arrows
Z - 30 arrows of frost
Armour
a - a +0 plate armour (worn)
y - the +0 pair of gloves of the Oligarchy (worn) {+Inv rPois rC+}
(Okawaru gifted it to you on level 6 of the Lair of Beasts)
It protects you from cold.
It protects you from poison.
It lets you turn invisible.
R - a -1 cloak of magic resistance (worn)
W - a +0 pair of boots (worn)
Miscellaneous
E - a fan of gales
X - a lamp of fire

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 29th August 2014, 13:30

Re: Skill Training for MiFi

Looking not to bad so far, but you definitly want a lot more fighting! Not only more Hit Points but also more damage on weapon. At least get even with weapon skill- more doesnt hurt either. I would do that now, delaying the bowtraining. You did orc, not a single branded Plate Armour? You can cmd+f for it "plate&&brand". And since you say its one of your first times so far, test those evocables in mid-hard fights, so you know what to expect when you are using them. Really helpful to get out of tough situations.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 29th August 2014, 14:25

In terms of what you could do now that would improve your character, the worst thing I can see is that your defenses are worse than I'd like going into Swamp. If there's a better piece of armour somewhere in the game (even if it's not plate) consider wearing it instead. If not, use any enchant armour scrolls you have lying around to enchant your peripheral armour pieces. Second, stop training Bows: you've got more than enough Bows skill for your bow. Instead, train Armour for more AC, Fighting for more HP/damage, or Axes to 20 in order to get your battleaxe to min delay. If it were me, I'd probably go Armour.

Also, next time you post a character dump, please put it inside code tags so that it's easier to read.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 29th August 2014, 15:47

Thanks for all the advice. I will train armor/fighting. Unfortunately, all my enchant armor scrolls got burned up when I was in Elf...

I was searching for good branded Plate Armour in Orc, but I didn't see any. I tried on a bunch that were cursed, but I'll look again.

Also, with this being my first time posting, I didn't know how to post the character dump. How do I use code tags to make it easier?

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 29th August 2014, 17:30

If you use the full editor, there's a "code" button that wraps a block of text in [ code ] [ /code ] (minus the spaces). You can also manually type in those tags, and if you do
  Code:
it looks like this.

In versions of Crawl with item destruction (pre 0.15), don't carry scrolls of enchant foo or potions of beneficial mutation/cure mutation with you. If you aren't going to use them right away, chuck them in a corner and come back when you need them.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 29th August 2014, 17:32

Don't literally chuck them, though, or else they'll be marked for autopickup. :D

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice