Suggestions to make my first streak ever. Help appreciated

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 21st August 2014, 16:41

Suggestions to make my first streak ever. Help appreciated

I am finishing my last game and I wanted some suggestions to make my first streak ever.

What kind of combo is the safest one? I was going to do a DDHe or MiBe but I wanted some feedback on what would be the safest choice.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 21st August 2014, 17:54

Re: Suggestions to make my first streak ever. Help appreciat

I usually consider gargoyles to be strong contenders for streaking, the ac is very helpful. There is a bit of two-shotting risk, as you have -20% hp, if something gets past your defenses, but that isn't too bad. The AC should help a lot in the early game, which is where you're most likely to die. Of course DDHe and MiBe are also great options. You should probably play a combo/playstyle you are already familiar with, as well.

CeHu is another combo I use for streaking, because being fast is very powerful.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
Meriados

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 21st August 2014, 17:57

If I absolutely had to win I think I would choose CeBe with spear as a starting weapon. My approach would be: kite / berserk everything even remotely dangerous (or just run because you can) until finding a bow (or crossbow if enough bolts available until then) -> win.

But that's just me personally, I guess the general consensus will be MiBe.

For this message the author Tedronai has received thanks:
Meriados

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 21st August 2014, 18:07

Thanks people, I am scared to die in the first 6-7 floors, where the game has still a luck component and sometimes there are very difficult situations. I'll avoid DDHe though, because if you get something you can't pacify in the first floor you're dead. Probably I'm going to try a Centaur, but I wanted to also avoid using Berserker if I could, because I already won that... keep the suggestions coming, I am very thankful <3

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 21st August 2014, 18:20

Meriados wrote:but I wanted to also avoid using Berserker if I could, because I already won that...

Streak all the Berserkers!

For this message the author Tedronai has received thanks:
Meriados

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 21st August 2014, 18:29

Tedronai wrote:
Meriados wrote:but I wanted to also avoid using Berserker if I could, because I already won that...

Streak all the Berserkers!

So, Berserkerest Player hasn't been added right? :P

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 21st August 2014, 19:02

Meriados wrote:Thanks people, I am scared to die in the first 6-7 floors, where the game has still a luck component and sometimes there are very difficult situations. I'll avoid DDHe though, because if you get something you can't pacify in the first floor you're dead. Probably I'm going to try a Centaur, but I wanted to also avoid using Berserker if I could, because I already won that... keep the suggestions coming, I am very thankful <3

Well, first of all, you can escape from most things if you can't pacify them (except things like killer bees ughs they're nasty early spawn for a He).
But if you're scared of that DD is still probably one of the thoughest guy in the first floors (well all the game) because among all things you always start with your wand of hw and with Ne/EE (or Gl/Fi if you really want) -> Makhleb you have also a good book to zap things from afar (especially Ne because you get undead shield from turn 1 and vampiric draining on xl3).
But a Ce/HO/Mi/DD BE has still probably highest probability to get to lair.

Also remember troll! Every Tr with any background (probably, if not going as Be, Hu is the easiest as you get 5 things of kill anything up Lair) is easy as shit because claws! And Hp! And Regen! And Claws! (as long you play not bad enough)
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 21st August 2014, 19:43

I'll add Gh to this list, probably play GhMo of Oka, it's like a mini-Tr
1/1 game for mopl (Gh): N=1/1 (100.00%)

That was my first streak
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 21st August 2014, 22:37

I'd go for DD something. (My DD winrate: 50%)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 21st August 2014, 23:29

Go spriggan. Very easy.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 21st August 2014, 23:57

Centaur with polearm/ranged weapon is super strong for streaking yeah.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 23rd August 2014, 00:47

Patashu wrote:Centaur is super strong.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 23rd August 2014, 14:53

I did it yesterday with CeHu (bow). Wasn't that hard except for maybe 1-2 moments in Zot1 and Zot5. Just make sure to run / kite if need. Don't be stubborn and think '1 more hit'. :)

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 23rd August 2014, 18:18

I suck at crawl and have streaked 3 in a row. Start with a spriggan or elf wiz, then do a minotaur/hill orc/centaur of trog. Always use shields.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 23rd August 2014, 18:21

snow wrote:Always use shields.

what

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 23rd August 2014, 18:35

I actually find I win a higher percentage of the games I use shields in than the ones I do not, for a chunk of the game, having a SH value is helpful, and reduces your chances of dying.

Of course there's a chunk of the game where shields are less helpful than using a giant beating stick (presuming that's your primary killdudes) so take that as you will..

It's one of those things that you can say "this is helpful right now, and won't be helpful later" which are actually usually worth doing.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 23rd August 2014, 18:40

Siegurt wrote:I actually find I win a higher percentage of the games I use shields in than the ones I do not, for a chunk of the game, having a SH value is helpful, and reduces your chances of dying.

Of course there's a chunk of the game where shields are less helpful than using a giant beating stick (presuming that's your primary killdudes) so take that as you will..

It's one of those things that you can say "this is helpful right now, and won't be helpful later" which are actually usually worth doing.

Basically this. Shields suck in theory and in all simulations but in practice they increase your chance of winning somehow.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 23rd August 2014, 19:59

I ran fsims comparing Fi/Gl with and without shields long time ago. Shield really helps early game (especially pre-Temple) and as we all know early game is the hardest part.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 24th August 2014, 00:14

Sandman25 wrote:I ran fsims comparing Fi/Gl with and without shields long time ago. Shield really helps early game (especially pre-Temple) and as we all know early game is the hardest part.

So something like:
"Oh thank gods, there's the Qazial altar I can take this damned piece of junk off now"

?

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 24th August 2014, 00:18

Meriados wrote:What kind of combo is the safest one?

Anything Trog.
Mangled by Mennas

For this message the author starless has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nilsbloodaxe

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 25th August 2014, 00:58

Objectively, the best race for streaking is DD, but what's most important is what you're comfortable playing. ddhe would not be good for you unless you are familiar with playing healers, as it would add the difficulty of learning to play he to the existing difficulty of the game. What to do, what the 'power curve' of your character looks like, what you can handle - knowledge like that is more important for streaking than the actual combo, except in some extreme cases where the combo is absolute trash.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice