Trapped on an island

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 18th August 2014, 09:11

Trapped on an island

So, whilst clearing out a Bailey, my potion of flight ran out whilst on an island surrounded by deep water (Doh). I'm a Formicid, so no teleporting or blinking, no more potions of flight, and you can't shaft yourself on a special level like a Bailey... Any ideas on how to get out of this, or do I just have to to starve to death?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 18th August 2014, 09:51

Re: Trapped on an island

Learn a translocation spell and deliberately miscast it until you get banished to the abyss

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks:
Kokor Hekkus

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 18th August 2014, 10:01

Nice. Might even be possible!

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 18th August 2014, 10:31

Hah! Learned the hardest Translocations spell I had, Passage of Golubria- instead of being banished, I successfully cast it and it allowed me to passage myself of the island!

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 18th August 2014, 10:42

Anyway, I think situation like that shouldn't be possible in the game - there should awalys be an escape hatch or a portal in disconneted area like that - you may report this situation on Mantis
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 18th August 2014, 11:02

Patashu wrote:Learn a translocation spell and deliberately miscast it until you get banished to the abyss

Does that work now? I thought that when you escape from the abyss you end up back where you were when you were banished.

I guess you could find another potion etc of flying while in the abyss though...

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 18th August 2014, 11:52

I'm pretty sure there's a Cocytus ending where Antaeus lives in a house in the middle of a deep water lake, which is inaccessible without flying or swimming.
Of course the chances of you not having access to all forms of crossing deep water while in hell are stupendously low, but it's still a really annoying end and hopefully there's shallow water there now.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 18th August 2014, 11:59

Bloax wrote:I'm pretty sure there's a Cocytus ending where Antaeus lives in a house in the middle of a deep water lake, which is inaccessible without flying or swimming.
Of course the chances of you not having access to all forms of crossing deep water while in hell are stupendously low, but it's still a really annoying end and hopefully there's shallow water there now.

There's also blink and rTele, if you swing that way.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 18th August 2014, 13:09

I could be wrong but I think that there are several Coc 7 that requires flying.
Geh 7 too.
But it's practically impossible to don't find a form of flying whole game!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 18th August 2014, 13:28

I didn't find a source of flying with one of my Berserkers and couldn't enter a huge vault in Zot because I ran out of potions of flight due to Shoals. That felt very disappointing.
Random teleport was possible but I didn't want to land into unknown territory (as I learned after the game the vault can have 2 OoF, a pack of Draconians etc.).

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 18th August 2014, 14:01

Sandman25 wrote:I didn't find a source of flying with one of my Berserkers and couldn't enter a huge vault in Zot because I ran out of potions of flight due to Shoals. That felt very disappointing.

I think if you can't reach a vault or something, it's not a problem. You can find a way in (flight in this case) later, and return. But if you get in, there must be a way out.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 18th August 2014, 15:02

Konedar wrote:But it's practically impossible to don't find a form of flying whole game!

It's also practically impossible for a character that has cleared all branches except zot and with 15 runes in their pockets to find their first pair of boots in zot.
But lo and behold, I've actually seen that happen.

The chances are tiny, but the requirements are irrelevant in all cases except the one where you don't meet them.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice