New corrosion mechanics - slime without rCorr?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 11th August 2014, 22:04

New corrosion mechanics - slime without rCorr?

In the topic CIP: XL 27 OgHu^Ash. About to enter extended the poster asked if he should do slime pits without rCorr. I wasn't able to give a well-founded answer, I have not been in slime pits since corrosion mechanics has changed. Corroding is now only temporary but maybe more dangerous.

In earlier versions the slime pits were dangerous without any source of rCorr (amulet, cloak of preservation) but doable. How about it now?

Funnily, this might become a question for my own char now. Cleared pan and hells - but if there's no rCorr amulet in tomb I wonder if my char who mostly relies on fighting could do slimes without it.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 11th August 2014, 22:23

Re: New corrosion mechanics - slime without rCorr?

It is doable, but you have to be more cautious about attracting too many acid blobs. I've lost several characters in Slime with new Corrosion wearing GDA and CPA. -41 AC tends to do that (also Qazlal like to attract the entire level to you).
3 rune: MiBe, MiGl, OgHu
5: VSWn
8: DgSk
15: MiMo, DsAr

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 11th August 2014, 23:27

I've done it recently with a caster without resist corrosion but with deflect missiles and it went quite smooth. But then again nothing ever gets into melee range so that might not be relevant to OP.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 12th August 2014, 03:39

It's worth noting that 0.15 potion of resistance provides rCorr. Enjoy!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 12th August 2014, 06:14

Patashu wrote:It's worth noting that 0.15 potion of resistance provides rCorr. Enjoy!

I believe this is only for 0.16 trunk, I don't know if it's true of 0.15.

But, basically you will want to use a potion of resistance, combined with agility and might, to fight TRJ. You will be fine on the earlier floors as long as you have rC. Even for instance my level 16 DDBe could get TRJ kills without rCorr. A good strategy to use is to use allies to trap TRJ and fill the squares around you to protect you from his summoned jellies. For instance, consider the following situation with Trog:

#.@T#
J. # T .

Here T is a brother in arms. You should summon two before entering the corridor of the M:6 vault so that you can actually obtain this position.

Now, TRJ will always move NE, like this (unless that square is occupied by another jelly)

#J@T#
. . # T .

So you can move as follows:

#JTT#
.@#. .

Then summon one more brother:

#J TT#
T@#. .

Now you have TRJ trapped and you yourself are protected from all his minions. Once he is dead you can simply dig out and use a scroll of blinking. I used this type of strategy to get a kill of TRJ at like XL16 without any rCorr (not even a potion of resistance), I ended up dying after getting to the stairs while trying to clear out his minions though. It's important to have might + agil + haste or your bro will ruin it with a move + attack, creating TRJ minions, so I don't believe this particular sequence works with Formicids or Nagas. Another decent option is to use other forms of allies like summons or non-trog summons combined with the recall spell which averts the need for careful positioning because all your allies will be dumped near you and achieving the desired TRJ trap.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 3
Patashu, Turukano, xentronium

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 12th August 2014, 07:59

Well, I often killed TRJ but I'm used to be overcautious with him/her. This is the only boss you definitely have to kill - unless you rely on shatter or converting, and converting is not a good idea with a Dg.

As mentioned before, I got 13 runes now and can get more XP (= new skills) in tomb. This char has might / agility / haste and should really be strong enough, he went for necromancy and has borgnjor available, and I hope this should do the job. But I don't know how dangerous acid is now in trunk. So I consider your ideas.

ElderVIII wrote:It is doable, but you have to be more cautious about attracting too many acid blobs.

Yes. And with the XP from tomb one idea is to upgrade from RMsl to DMsl.

Patashu wrote:It's worth noting that 0.15 potion of resistance provides rCorr. Enjoy!

That's nice, I didn't know that. I always wondered why a potion of resistance didn't provide rAcid+ and rN+. Well, I quaffed my only pot of resistance to make the encounter with asmodeus foolproof.

tabstorm wrote: A good strategy to use is to use allies to trap TRJ and fill the squares around you to protect you from his summoned jellies.

Yes, this has always been useful, although I never did it the perfect way you proposed. Nevertheless I wonder how fast my AC will go down when I fight the boss.

tabstorm wrote:Another decent option is to use other forms of allies like summons or non-trog summons combined with the recall spell.

Oh thanks, recall spell is easily available and might be one option.

In the last years I refused to play trunk but the removal of item destruction was worth it of course. And now I have to deal with the occurences of trunk.

However, thanks for your ideas and let's have a look at the treasure in tomb.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 15th August 2014, 08:05

Alright, I found an amulet with rCorr in tomb and then TRJ was easy ofc. :-)

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 15th August 2014, 12:17

Doing slime I'm much more worried about shining eyes and their malmutating gaze.. Did malmutate get nerfed too?
Online Wins: DeCj (4), HeAe (10), DrAs (15), DDAr (11)

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 15th August 2014, 12:44

skyspire wrote:Doing slime I'm much more worried about shining eyes and their malmutating gaze.. Did malmutate get nerfed too?

Well, shining eyes shouldn't be a major problem in slime, mnoleg's level in pan as well as Zot:5 are harder without mutation resistance.

The most common way to deal with shining eyes in slime is to wear an amulet of rMut. Switch from rCorr to rMut and back if necessary. Being undead (or in lichform) or worshipping Zin helps as well.

But even without protection: don't worry. Block line of sight if you see a shining eye: scroll of fog, hide behind friends or foes. In case you should get a mutation: quaff a potion of cure mut.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 15th August 2014, 12:54

Also summoning butterflies works very well for shining eye (or any summoning method that spawns multiple mobs), it even works better than the amulet of rMut, as rMut does not prevent mutation 100%
Online Wins: DeCj (4), HeAe (10), DrAs (15), DDAr (11)

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 15th August 2014, 12:58

skyspire wrote:Also summoning butterflies works very well for shining eye (or any summoning method that spawns multiple mobs), it even works better than the amulet of rMut, as rMut does not prevent mutation 100%

Yes, I meant this with "hide behind friends". :-)

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice