Slouch power

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 31st July 2014, 09:31

Slouch power

Sequell wrote:slouch[1/4]: Does damage to everything in sight (including invisible enemies) that's faster than you. More damage with higher speed difference. Insanely good against everything really fast; Executioners get blown into separate molecules.
slouch[2/4]: Does about 4*(movement speed difference) damage. Naga versus hasted executioner means 4*(30-3) = 108 damage on average.

2 questions :
- How does slouch power scales with Invo
- If I slow myself before slouching, will it improves its power ?
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 31st July 2014, 09:39

Re: Slouch power

1) Judging by 4*(movement speed difference) invo has nothing to do with its damage. I've never bother to check if it's true, slouch is good as soon as you get under10% failure rate (except maybe speed 10 monster with lot of hp)
2) don't do that, it's really bad
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 31st July 2014, 09:53

nago wrote:2) don't do that, it's really bad

I never said it wasn't !
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st July 2014, 13:43

Don't haste someone else either because Chei might get so mad you won't be able to slouch that opponent.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 18:17

It's true that invocations doesn't affect slouch's damage. Slowing yourself does, but it's generally not that useful to hurt yourself with slow. Using statue form does increase slouch damage, and isn't as suicidal as the slow spell. Hasting anyone is penance, of course, so don't do that.

Code:
static int _slouch_monsters(coord_def where, int pow, int dummy, actor* agent)
{
    if (!_slouchable(where, pow, dummy, agent))
        return 0;

monster* mon = monster_at(where);
    ASSERT(mon);

int dmg = (mon->speed - 1000/player_movement_speed()/player_speed());
    dmg = (dmg > 0 ? roll_dice(dmg*4, 3)/2 : 0);

mon->hurt(agent, dmg, BEAM_MMISSILE, true);
    return 1;
}

I've looked this up before, but I never got to the point where I actually dug up how the speed system works - it would seem like if you subtract 1000 speed from a 10 speed monster, you'd have a really nonsensical negative number. I assume the speed system uses much higher scale numbers than people discuss on the forums, or something else is happening. But in any case, no invocations for damage.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
mopl

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 22:22

The 1000 there is divided by a bunch of things, so it won't end up negative unless the monster is faster than you (standard movement and action speed is 10).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 3rd August 2014, 10:00

oh wow, I totally failed at pemdas there. So yeah, assuming a standard 10 speed character, 1000 / 10 /10 is 10. That makes a lot more sense. Obviously your movement speed wouldn't be 10 since you're following chei, but there you have it.

Does statue form affect your movement speed, or only player speed? I guess I'd have to look into what both of those mean, if statue form affects both it would raise slouch damage pretty significantly...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 3rd August 2014, 15:47

Statue Form slows all player actions, not just movement. It's like slow status, except you can also be slowed and they stack for 4/9 speed on all actions. 4/9 is pretty bad, so try to avoid that.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice