Stones throwing

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Do you throw stones to attract attention of a single monster?

Always
8%
Always unless I feel my character is OP and/or I am lazy
3%
Often
28%
Vs "band" monsters only (Orcs/Gnolls/Centaurs/Yaktaurs etc.)
5%
Rarely
31%
Never
26%

Total votes : 39

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 28th August 2014, 15:50

Stones throwing

Another thread has this:
The tactics remain mostly the same as in early game (don't fight too much dudes, throw stones, avoid with hard dudes

and I wonder "Is stone throwing that important?"
So I'd like to know how often other players use it.

Edit. Of course the poll assumes you are not playing a stabber.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 28th August 2014, 16:00

Re: Stones throwing

I use level 2 conjurations for the same kind of thing when those become less costly than an inventory slot, and I'll throw javelins or tomahawks instead of those are handy. But yes, I make attacks from a distance at a single wandering monster that I suspect is part of a group.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 28th August 2014, 16:31

I only target glass houses.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 28th August 2014, 16:49

Only on the first few levels of the dungeon, afterwards there is no need.
remove food

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 28th August 2014, 17:25

Later on there is usually no need, but most of the time I continue throwing stones (or tomahawks / javelins) since it does that automatically when using Shift-Tab for auto-fight.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 28th August 2014, 20:27

I throw stones or use magic dart whenever I really try hard to win. Not for every fight, just for when it matters, but then they make a pretty big difference.

I also read in a different thread a few days ago that shooting needles is like throwing stones/casting magic dart but better but havent tried yet, i normally only carry curare but will have to try sometime.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 29th August 2014, 00:39

Throwing stones is especially useful in that if you throw a stone at a monster that is wandering, it never shouts and always aggros. So it never stops being useful (but s/stone/weapon of choice if stones are not manly enough)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 29th August 2014, 01:06

I don't (didn't) throw stones or darts (when they existed) or clubs (back when that was a thing) but I always recognized that doing so is noticeably superior to not doing so.

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Nemora

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 29th August 2014, 01:34

Patashu wrote:Throwing stones is especially useful in that if you throw a stone at a monster that is wandering, it never shouts and always aggros. So it never stops being useful (but s/stone/weapon of choice if stones are not manly enough)

They should have a chance to shout. This should probably be called a bug or non-intended behavior.

For this message the author Wahaha has received thanks: 2
Sandman25, scorpionwarrior

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 29th August 2014, 02:15

I throw stones, then upgrade to tomahawks, ultimately to javelins or large rocks. (Presuming I don't have some more powerful ranged attack) By preference I use a ranged attack to start all combats (I use autofight_nomove so I can still just tab things when I have thrown weapon's equipped, although I keep it mapped to ';')
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 29th August 2014, 02:47

needles

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 29th August 2014, 04:00

Also you can throw stones or cast magic dart to lure a sleeping monster fairly reliably, you just need to do it from one tile out of LOS. See: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13330&p=186097#p186097

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 29th August 2014, 04:05

Getting a blowgun and poison needles is an automatic "get to Lair" card. I never bother with stones, but I'll sometimes grab tomahawks in the early game.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 29th August 2014, 08:13

I don't throw stones as often as I should... I often forget to

I guess it's optimal to do so, but not mandatory
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 4th September 2014, 01:55

So it looks like community split in half: 14 people use it always/often and 14 people use it rarely/never. Good to know.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 4th September 2014, 14:56

Free damage is free. So I throw all the time. By the time slots are dear, I will probably have other options.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 5th September 2014, 15:05

i am too lazy to throw.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 5th September 2014, 16:13

I throw for damage all the time, not to attract attention. In my opinion all shouting monsters should shout every time the PC attracts their attention by any means.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Sandman25

zrn

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 5th September 2014, 17:09

Sprucery wrote:I throw for damage all the time, not to attract attention. In my opinion all shouting monsters should shout every time the PC attracts their attention by any means.

Why do you want to nerf the stealth skill that badly? What does a thread about throwing rocks at enemies have to do with nerfing stealth?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 5th September 2014, 17:14

zrn wrote:
Sprucery wrote:I throw for damage all the time, not to attract attention. In my opinion all shouting monsters should shout every time the PC attracts their attention by any means.

Why do you want to nerf the stealth skill that badly? What does a thread about throwing rocks at enemies have to do with nerfing stealth?

How is stealth supposed to help when any monster is attacked? "I am being attacked by something but I don't see anything so I'd better keep my mouth shut despite pain, fear and worries about my neighbors???"

Barkeep

Post Friday, 5th September 2014, 17:26

Sandman25 wrote:
zrn wrote:

How is stealth supposed to help when any monster is attacked? "I am being attacked by something but I don't see anything so I'd better keep my mouth shut despite pain, fear and worries about my neighbors???"

If enemies capable of shouting did so whenever they changed awareness level (dormant --> wandering --> alert to your presence), this would be a formidable nerf to stealth. That's what zrn is getting at.

There is a lot of weirdness and special cases around enemy noise generation, but the problem I have with that is not realism ("It just doesn't make sense that a magic pony-man would alert all of his brethren at only some signs of possible intruders, but not all such signs"), but rather with the fact that a pretty important game mechanic has numerous counter-intuitive and opaque aspects to it.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 5th September 2014, 17:28

Well, that, plus everyone knows magic pony-men are notorious tattle-tales. I mean, we should keep some semblance of realism here...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 5th September 2014, 17:31

and into wrote:If enemies capable of shouting did so whenever they changed awareness level (dormant --> wandering --> alert to your presence), this would be a formidable nerf to stealth. That's what zrn is getting at.

There is a lot of weirdness and special cases around enemy noise generation, but the problem I have with that is not realism ("It just doesn't make sense that a magic pony-man would fail to alert all of his brethren at any sign of possible intruders"), but rather with the fact that a pretty important game mechanic has numerous counter-intuitive and opaque aspects to it.

I don't care about dormant->wandering transition, there is no need to shout here. If your stealth level allows to stab the monster without it seeing you, that's fine. But x->alert of your presence transition should result in shouting IMHO as it is not only realistic but also a major game improvement: you will not need to use stupid tactics like throwing a stone near every monster to attract its attention without triggering a shout.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks: 3
and into, damiac, Sprucery

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 5th September 2014, 17:43

I agree with what Sandman said, and on top of that, I think enemies should periodically shout while chasing the player. That would mean dragging 1 enemy at a time is not only extremely difficult(since the monster shouts when you attract his attention), but probably a bad idea, as you're attracting more enemies than you started with.

Then, if it doesn't already, curare should prevent monsters from being able to shout.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 5th September 2014, 18:54

@Sandman: Your earlier post rubbed me the wrong way just because it seemed to focus more on "realism," but we don't actually disagree here. I think game play would be improved if it were clear when enemies shout, and what you can do to circumvent that.

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 5th September 2014, 19:39

Sandman25 wrote:I don't care about dormant->wandering transition, there is no need to shout here. If your stealth level allows to stab the monster without it seeing you, that's fine. But x->alert of your presence transition should result in shouting IMHO as it is not only realistic but also a major game improvement: you will not need to use stupid tactics like throwing a stone near every monster to attract its attention without triggering a shout.

Thanks, Sandman25, this was just what I meant. I just didn't express it clearly.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 5th September 2014, 20:51

it seems more reasonable to make the chance of shouting the same for waking up/being alerted/etc regardless of what led to waking up/being alerted/etc

(you would still throw stones)

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
and into

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 5th September 2014, 21:02

Monsters should not auto shout. While the game is set up for us to kill them... in "real dungeon" world, they would be eating each other too so quiet is smart.

The exception would be packs of similar creatures. They should shout and respond.

It would be fun for an adventurer to walk up to a dragon and giant having it out. And then getting to stab both for an easy quick kill. :)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 6th September 2014, 01:09

I often keep stones on me but very rarely use them, mostly out of some perverse desire to see just how many I can get.
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 6th September 2014, 01:12

yeah its actually better to throw bread rations or something so they dont get destroyed

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 6th September 2014, 08:14

duvessa wrote:yeah its actually better to throw bread rations or something so they dont get destroyed

if you run out of stones you may as well ^qyes and think about how badly you fucked up

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice