Magical Contamination Management

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 17:27

Magical Contamination Management

In games where I have some subset of Invis/Haste/cBlink, I wonder how far I can stretch those abilities without dipping into yellow contamination, but I'm always afraid to push my luck. I was wondering if you guys had any tips or heuristics for this.

For example, how many cBlinks in a row can you do safely? cBlink while hasted or invisible? Haste + Invis? About how long do you have to wait for one cBlink's worth of contamination to dissipate? etc.
I enjoy trying to win distinct Race / Class / God combinations. Wins so far: HOFi^Beogh, MiGl^Trog, GhEE^Chei, GrNe^Kiku, DDMo^Yred, OgIE^Ash, VpEn^Dith, VSWr^Zin, OpWz^Sif, SpAs^Veh, CeHu^Qaz, NaWn^Xom, DsCj^Makh, FoSk^Ru

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 18:10

Re: Magical Contamination Management

I don't know the exact numbers, but here are some rough guidelines:

If you cast them while not contaminated at all, haste and invis will never take you into yellow contamination on their own (I think invis being able to take you into yellow was fixed a while ago). But I think both can take you very close to yellow contam, so using both together, or using cblink even once with high powered haste or invis will usually make you glow. So don't invis while hasted, glowing turns you visible.

You can do something like 3 to 5 cblinks without getting yellow contam, but that's really just a guess.

Anyway, contamination is usually not that problematic, most negative mutations are not very dangerous at first level. Of course you shouldn't needlessly contaminate yourself, but if contamination lets you avoid even a tiny risk of death it's generally worth it.

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks:
WalrusMcFishSr

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 27th July 2014, 08:07

Also there's a new (sort of) consumable in trunk, potion of cancellation - it removes all the magical effects on you and also lowers Contam, like the old scroll of vulnerability did (new scroll of vulnerability just halves MR for things in LoS). Since it replaced potions of paralysis, it's somewhat more common than scrolls of vulnerability.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 27th July 2014, 08:56

Honestly the interface for magic contamination is kinda bad. It instantly goes from manageable contamination (grey) to too much contamination (yellow). It should be yellow earlier at less contamination when it's not dangerous on it's own as in "warning, another dose of magic contamination WILL take you over the dangerous threshold". Dangerous contamination level (now yellow) should be at least orange or something.

For this message the author Kolbur has received thanks: 3
ololoev, rockygargoyle, skjarl

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice