Crystal Ball vs Wucad Mu

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 24th July 2014, 11:41

Crystal Ball vs Wucad Mu

Normally I use Wucad Mu for zigs but I'm starting to think that crystal balls might be better.

From what I understand with a crystal ball, as long as your MP isn't in the red you have a success rate of roughly 90% at max evocations, right? And you can always recover from failure with a staff of energy. I'm trying to figure out on average (including the time spent getting your MP into the yellow with a crystal ball and staff of energy) which has the better MP per evocation. Also there's the fact that Wucad Mu isn't guaranteed (though in practice I tend to find it eventually while grinding zigs). Are there any other factors that might make a difference in picking one or the other? If you find both, should you always use the staff, or a combination of the two?

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 24th July 2014, 12:00

Re: Crystal Ball vs Wucad Mu

crystal ball can easily give u 25+ MP with one use at max evo. usually u cast 3 or 4 lvl 9 spells then use ball and are "almost" full Ä(depending on max mp). i dont know wucad mu in comparison, but if u have clarity, and enough restore pots / intelligence not at the edge i think its quite usable and the best option i know of

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Crystal_ball

comparing the wiki articles, ball seems superior, if that info is correct

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 24th July 2014, 13:14

I do love using the ball, but it takes a lot of prep-work to make it worthwhile. (Clarity, high evocations, probably sustain abilities)

There's also a couple major things to consider when using it.

1) You shouldn't use it when the possibility of having your mana drained to 0 would screw you.
2) Always have a backup plan.
3) Don't wait until your mana is actually low to use it.

I'd want a staff of energy (that's the right one nowadays right? I still keep thinking it's the staff of channeling since that's what it was when I first started playing... >.>), Sif channeling, or, I would say, Wucad Mu.

...now, whether I'd prefer using one or the other, I can't really say since I haven't gotten Wucad Mu on a caster yet. Hah. >.>

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th July 2014, 14:25

cboe is better if you already have decent mp, the point of wucad mu is it works at 0 mp

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 2
duvessa, snow

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice