Best Combination

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 7th April 2011, 16:32

Best Combination

What do you think is the strongest combination?

I'm going to have to say demigod wizards. I know they require a bit of scumming because they level slowly but beyond that you can build them into heavily armored casters and end up with a literally invincible character that can kill anything in a few shots. Deep elf wizards are a close second... though more fragile they can use a god. Demigods are better still because they're strong enough to not need a god.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 7th April 2011, 16:49

Re: Best Combination

Well, since I just got my first win with it, I'd say Deep Dwarf Necromancer of Makhleb, at least for a three-runer. Halfling Hunter used to be my fave but I just noticed they don't start with a buckler anymore (perhaps because of my raving here about how good they are / were :( )

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 7th April 2011, 22:16

In general I guess. You have a point though... different combinations do better at different things.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 00:09

My interest would be in what combos are best at making it to the middle game. Because if you can survive the early game, it's the stuff you find that makes just as big or bigger difference to how powerful you are.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 06:28

What do you mean by "streakable"? Able to pull off repeat wins? Wouldn't that be the same as "easy"?

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 06:34

I think the distinction between "streakalbe" and "easy" is that a lot of easy combos are still susceptible to accidental D:1 splatting.

For instance, I think the SpBe is pretty great, and reasonably easy to boot too. But you will get splatted in the first few floors if a hobo gets a luck critical, or if you get unlucky before your evasion takes off.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 09:03

Berserkers. Just...berserkers. Those guys work with any species, really.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 16:04

I don't think I've ever lost with either a DDNe or SpEn once I got the hang of them. CeBe is also easy, but I find it boring. SETm is my favorite for 15-rune wins.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 17:57

<MarvinPA> !lg . s=char / ktyp=winning
<Sequell> 59/1854 games for MarvinPA: 1/1x GhVM [100.00%], 1/1x SEIE [100.00%], 1/1x HEFE [100.00%], 1/1x HaRe [100.00%], 1/1x OgVM [100.00%], 1/1x SpAK [100.00%], 1/1x FeSu [100.00%]

Apparently those are the best combos in the game. OgVM supremacy.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 16th April 2011, 06:24

MDFi of okawaru is pretty easy and streakable (and pretty dull).

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 16th April 2011, 16:33

I'm surprised by the amount of centaur love I'm seeing here and there. What am I missing? CeBe seems like a good vector for Trog's eventual deluge of ammo gifts, but that's surely not that big a deal? They're reasonably fast? Lots of health? What's the draw?
Dowan says "Her death will not be in vain!"
You bludgeon Dowan!
This raw flesh tastes great!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 16th April 2011, 17:37

Sometimes wrote:I'm surprised by the amount of centaur love I'm seeing here and there. What am I missing? CeBe seems like a good vector for Trog's eventual deluge of ammo gifts, but that's surely not that big a deal? They're reasonably fast? Lots of health? What's the draw?

Spriggans are considered one of the easiest combos right? Centaurs are slightly less fast, but can still outrun most everything, and have 50 more hp at XL27. Spriggans have better dodging, but centaurs can fill every armor slot, and have the large race shield advantage. Sure, they have crappy aptitudes, but that's nothing but an inconvenience. Hunger is annoying with them, but gourmand makes that much nicer, and permafood is plentiful. I have yet to starve to death.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 16th April 2011, 20:04

I think I was overestimating the impact of the lousy aptitudes. I've played a fair few demonspawn, should really know better... think I'll give horsey a shot.
Dowan says "Her death will not be in vain!"
You bludgeon Dowan!
This raw flesh tastes great!

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 17th April 2011, 13:28

I'm going to agree with the people upthread who have said DDne of Makhleb. I started one partly as a ghostbuster and partly because I had had a long frustrating game with a weaker combo get the better of me, and I just wanted to hit things with an axe for a bit... I'm amazed at how well it all fits together. The combination of God, role and race is so low-maintenance :)
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 17th April 2011, 18:37

I think Crusader is a pretty easy class in general.

I'm not the best player, and have never ascended, but I have gotten many runes and been to Zot several times. All with Crusaders. Naga Crusaders become MONSTER TANKS. Kobold Crusaders can bezerk as much as they like, and Merfolk Crusaders are just crazily in line with aptitudes.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 20th April 2011, 18:17

Easy: Halfing/Kobold Berserker, Deep Dwarf Necromancer [Makhleb], Spriggan Enchanter [0.7> Okawaru], Troll Gladiator [0.8<, Okawaru].

Streakability: Centaur Healer [0.7>, -> Okawaru], Deep Dwarf Necromancer [Makhleb], Deep Dwarf Chaos Knight [0.7>, Makhleb].

"Strongest": Depends on what you want. If you mean "when this character reaches uber-status, what is the uberest of all uber characters to ever be uber???" then probably an Uber-Demonspawn who has nuts luck with racial mutations or an Uber-Naga. If you mean "overall, taking most things into consideration, what provides the ideal mix of ease and strength to be the 'strongest' combination" then it's probably Deep Dwarf Necromancer [Makhleb].

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 22nd May 2011, 14:24

In 0.8+, I'd say that a Mountain Dwarf Berserker is an excellent combination, Heavy Armour+Axe+Shield+Berserk=WIN!

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 30th May 2011, 11:18

You all seem to like somewhat weird combinations.

As far as I can tell, all-rune late-game survival hinges on having a lot of HP to survive torment/smite/hellfire combos which ignore AC, as well as Necromutation for torment resistance, and the ability to cast Haste and Controlled Blink to get away asap.
Instant saves like Nemelex's Tomb, Lugonu's Banishment and Revivification also matter, and in Ziggurats, it matters to be able to clear the place before the place clears you.
Ranged attacks further help being less in harm's way.

Hence, an high HP race (such as a Naga) played as a necromutating fire/ice stormer or tornadist still seems best.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 30th May 2011, 15:19

Going by the ongoing tournament statistics, berserker is the most common background for game winners by a large margin. The species with the most winners is roughly even between kobold and spriggan.

The most common species/background combinations for winners are KoBe, closely followed by SpEn.

I would assume that most of these winners are 3-5 rune games that did not go to the extended endgame, however.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 30th May 2011, 15:24

The new HP formula nerf those combos.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2011, 15:43

joellercoaster wrote:I'm going to agree with the people upthread who have said DDne of Makhleb. I started one partly as a ghostbuster and partly because I had had a long frustrating game with a weaker combo get the better of me, and I just wanted to hit things with an axe for a bit... I'm amazed at how well it all fits together. The combination of God, role and race is so low-maintenance :)

I'm doing well so far, but I'm encountering problems with demons.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2011, 18:43

minmay wrote:You can get 4 runes without ever fighting any demons more powerful than imps.

D:15 ice cave was calling me. I left my potions of healing in there after the ice fiends and ice demons chased me out and FOLLOWED ME INTO D:15.

Used up several scrolls of teleportation, etc. Eventually took them down one at a time. Gotta get fireball working more reliably.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 2nd June 2011, 11:35

galehar wrote:The new HP formula nerf those combos.

Haven't played the trunk version with the new formula, but from what I can gather from the tables, it is something of a nerf to fighters of almost any race. The low-HP races are hit hardest, but the human fighter has 22 less HP at XL27 under the frail/robust system, and even the naga has 2 HP less. The only races that appear to benefit are trolls (and possibly ogres.)

Of course the tables aren't necessarily a good representation of any actual character; I'm guessing most actual fighters will be closer to the 'hybrid 2' for most of their careers because it is rare for fighting to be equal to XL, but presumably they are accurate enough to make some deductions from.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 2nd June 2011, 11:57

Exactly, hybrid 2 is a more realistic case than pure fighter (but still simplistic). The later is there to show an extreme case. Theoretical maximum hp is reduced for almost everyone, but don't forget that base hp is increased. You don't have to pump fighting like crazy just to survive.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice