The new vault 5 layout seems quite challenging, any tips?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 07:50

The new vault 5 layout seems quite challenging, any tips?

With more 'entrances' at the each corner I feel like I constantly get swarmed with hordes of enemies wherever I teleport. Even with the AOE spells the enemies come in great numbers and mixed with tough ones (titans, ancient lichs, and so on).

So far my vault:5 strategy has been 1) teleport into some remote area and lurk there 2) lure 2~3 monsters at a time.

But with the new layout it doesn't seem to work. New enemies keep popping up from all directions (or at least that's how I felt it).

Any tips on how to handle the final floor on vault? I lost 2 mages while trying to find somewhere 'remote' in the floor.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 07:56

Re: The new vault 5 layout seems quite challenging, any tips

Same way as before, except instead of going to a corner/edge, you go to one of the hallways next to a corner.

Also, don't think of vaults:5 as a default third rune anymore. Some characters will find slime, or even abyss/tomb an easier 3rd rune. If you have controlled teleport on tap, you might even think about sneaking into pan and jacking a pan lord's rune.
Last edited by Patashu on Sunday, 20th July 2014, 07:58, edited 3 times in total.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 07:56

My main strategy nowadays is simply avoiding V:5. The Slime Pits is always better, but only if you have rCorr.

For this message the author Magipi has received thanks:
Moose

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 19:07

I only recently got my first victory, so grain of salt..

I find Chei worshippers have a super easy time with Vaults 5. You need not teleport, because a few slouches will kill the entire circle of guards. Once you've slouched enough you can stair dance the floor from the center, and even go clear a different part of the game to refill your piety. Step from time also happens to counter some of the floor's strategy for killing you: if a vault warden summons friends to ambush you, step from time can reset your part of the floor to the normal average concentration of enemies.

Of course, I'm making god-specific advice, but Chei is one of the easiest gods to abandon, and isn't that tough to fill up piety on, so you can grab him, use him, and lose him if you want to beat Vault 5 in this way.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 19:09

popsofctown wrote:super easy time with Vaults 5

popsofctown wrote:go clear a different part of the game to refill your piety

um
popsofctown wrote:grab him, use him, and lose him if you want to beat Vault 5 in this way

That's a pretty terrible idea even if we pretend god wrath doesn't exist.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 19:13

are the enemies all slow there in vault 5 or why does slouch deal damage to them? or u cast slow on urself / play naga? dont really get that.. but still didnt try chei

€dit forgot about that innate slow from god ;P yea i play mostly other gods, but dont like trog (always okawaru over it if i wanna go melee)
Last edited by Octopode-monk-of-XOM on Sunday, 20th July 2014, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 19:40

Octopode-monk-of-XOM wrote:are the enemies all slow there in vault 5 or why does slouch deal damage to them? or u cast slow on urself / play naga? dont really get that.. but still didnt try chei

Chei reduces your walking speed as your piety increases. So you end up being "slower" than pretty much everything else and Slouch hits hard. You still do other things at the normal speed, you just walk slower.

If you are fairly new to the game, I would NOT start playing around with Chei yet. Chei is crawl hard mode. Like squids and cats and ants. Go win Fedhas, Yred, Trog, Oka, Makh first.

As for the original question, the best way I've found to deal with V5 is to activate control teleport, haste up, read teleport, go down the stairs, read magic map, read fear, fight a bit, and then c-tel into a nice room or area near narrow corridors in one of the quadrants. I don't like the sides because you can still get surrounded there. At least one of the quadrants should hopefully give you some choke points. Fight there, clear a space, and avoid using big explosions. Once you've cleared a quad, that is your base and you explore and lead bad guys back there, not towards the stairs.

For this message the author Blink has received thanks:
Octopode-monk-of-XOM

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 19:55

cats are actually pretty easy

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
cerebovssquire, duvessa

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 21:48

By new I assume you mean the corners being cut off.

Pre-change I would Buff, magic map and C-Tele to the end of the horizontal hallways so that the destination square and eight adjacent were empty (I believe, and could be wrong, that the deviation could attempt to teleport you to a wall and instead randomly teleport you across the map), then run up or down towards a corner.

Now, after the change, I Buff, magic map and C-Tele straight to the nicest looking corner. This is usually the most cluttered and maze like quadrant. Then I gain C-Tele in case I need to leave soon and move to the slightly safer top or bottom wall.

All the while trying to be relatively quite.

Nowadays slime is looking like more of an option as a third rune. I still avoid pan and the abyss since a little bad luck goes a long way towards killing you in those branches.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 25th July 2014, 12:38

Tip : do slime instead.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 25th July 2014, 16:14

I usually ?imolation Vaults:5, as I do for Slime:6 btw. It's pretty easy this way.

Just had a Dith game : I Refrigerated all Vaults:5, that was maybe my easiest silver rune
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 28th July 2014, 02:58

mopl wrote:I usually ?imolation Vaults:5, as I do for Slime:6 btw. It's pretty easy this way.

Confirmed. See my recent excursion using this method.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice