Common Misconceptions and Game Tips

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 19th July 2014, 21:28

Common Misconceptions and Game Tips

I was thinking earlier about how when I first started playing the game I was completely clueless and really had no idea how to play effectively. I made every mistake in the book, everything from "pure casters/melee" to "CHEIBRADOSMASTERRACE", I swear that I did it all. However, now that I've played a lot more games, I realize now that things like assist spells, melee with conjurations, and using evocations with trog are all things that make winning considerably more... Possible...

So, do you think we can get a list going of common misconceptions and useful tips? I guess I'll start by throwing in some of my own tips that I've learned over time, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:

1) Fighting only gives a substantial increase in HP as well as damage output.
2) Each weapon has a min delay, training after reaching the min delay of a weapon is rarely a good investment. Each 2 levels in a weapon skill reduces the delay by 1.
2b) Weapons don't need to be trained to min delay the moment you start training them, train it until you are comfortable with your killing speed.
3) Trog might hate magic, but he is fine with wands and evocables. This is important because wands and evocables are a fantastic way to supplement your lack of support magic.
4) There are no pure melee/caster characters, melee should eventually invest in support magic(Blink, Summon Butterflies, Animate Skeleton, etc) and casters should invest in acquiring min delay on a decent weapon that requires minimal skill investment(weapons of poison and elec are great early weapons).
5) GDA might seem awesome, but it is commonly considered the worst armor in the game. You want a good balance of both armor and dodging, GDA doesn't give that, and it makes support magic very difficult to get online.
6) Do your best to learn something new from every death. If you don't know what you did wrong or what caused your death, ask people on the forums, they will help you.
7) Do your best to not repeat mistakes from previous games. If you don't know what your mistake was, again, just ask the people on the forums.
8) Don't be afraid to experiment. The items/gods in crawl aren't always as weak as they might seem. Lantern of shadows is a great item, Ely is a very powerful deity, and pain is a very powerful brand(with the right amount of necromancy skill, of course).
9) Elf:3 is incredibly dangerous, so be very careful when exploring. Teleporting on elf:3 is more like a disguised suicide rather than an escape plan. Its rewards are usually not worth the risk.
10) Teleporting when there is a large vault on a level(Elf:3, Zot:5, etc.) has a very high chance of teleporting you INSIDE the vault, which is often times a death sentence.
11) Walking away from enemies you aren't prepared for is a good idea. Orc priests, sigmund, and rupert are just a few good examples of things you should try to avoid until you are ready.
12) When you are in a bad situations, stop and assess your situations and review your assets. Check your potions, your wands, your scrolls, just check your entire inventory. Odds are, if you are late in the game, there is something you can do to get yourself out of a sticky situation.
13) The optimal battle position is when you are out of LOS of enemies and are able to face them one at a time the moment each one comes into LOS. Just being within LOS of some creatures can be dangerous.
Last edited by Tiktacy on Sunday, 20th July 2014, 21:18, edited 14 times in total.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 19th July 2014, 21:41

Re: Common Misconceptions and Game Tips

1) Fighting only gives a small increase in damage output. Its main effect is to increase HP and it scales with your level, so dumping a lot of exp into fighting early on is not always a good idea.

generally the main reason i raise fighting is to do more damage

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
duvessa

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 19th July 2014, 21:41

Fighting adds a very substantial amount of damage and it also adds a very substantial amount of HP even if your XL is low. This amount of HP may seem almost inconsequential given how much more "bang for your buck" you get at higher levels but in fact mHP matters a lot more early on than it does later.

Weapons should be trained until you are comfortable with your killing speed and that's about it. If you're comfortable with it you probably have better stuff to train.

I think it's a big misconception that training and taking care of your numbers is a big part of crawl and I think most new players would be far better off if there was a magical way to take away the compulsion to switch skilling to manual the moment they discover the possibility. You can train atrociously and win with perfect comfort just by keeping in mind your options and assessing threats as they come.

For this message the author dck has received thanks:
Bloax

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 19th July 2014, 21:47

Thank you Dck and crate, I tried fixing the entries, is that about right?
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 19th July 2014, 22:03

Regarding the OP "Heavy armor is often a bad choice" is wrong.

anyway

1-hi
2-unless filthy magic is at work things can't see you if you can't see them
4-yes the green orcs are jackasses walk away
3-remember the stuff you have on you and use it
6-drink the damn potions before you're nearly dead
7-long term plans are your enemy
CORNERS

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 19th July 2014, 22:28

Tiktacy wrote:So, do you think we can get a list going of common misconceptions and useful tips? I guess I'll start by throwing in some of my own tips that I've learned over time, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:

1) Fighting only gives a substantial increase in HP as well as damage output.
2) Each weapon has a min delay, training after reaching the min delay of a weapon is rarely a good investment. Each 2 levels in a weapon skill reduces the delay by 1.
2.5) Weapons don't need to be trained to min delay the moment you start training them, train it until you are comfortable with your killing speed.
3) Training Evocations as a Trog follower is usually a good idea, wands are effected by evocations and can have very useful effects.
4) There are no pure melee/caster characters, melee should eventually invest in support magic(Blink, Summon Butterflies, Animate Skeleton, etc) and casters should invest in acquiring min delay on a decent weapon that requires minimal skill investment(weapons of poison and elec are great early weapons).
5) Heavy armor is often a bad choice, using smaller armor(Steam/Mottled/Swamp dragon armor are all fantastic, leather works in the mean time) is almost always better. A nice balance between armor rating and dodging is optimal(depending on your attributes).
this is probably better at being a list of common misconceptions than a list of useful tips

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 19th July 2014, 22:40

#5 in OP should read "GDA is often a bad choice." Plate mail can get fairly high level spells, and CPA can net you most of the support spells.

Additionally:

1. In most cases, rF++, rC+, and MR+++ will be sufficient enough resistances for the game.
2. Always draw single targets towards you; avoid advancing on seemingly easy targets. Never know when that lone orc will turn into three orc priests who smite you to 5 HP with no chance of escape.
3. No amnesia scrolls? (R)ead the book you memorized the spells from to forget it. You destroy the book, so make sure you've learned everything you want from that particular book first.
4. rPois still has some use post Poison branch. Keep a quick access ring at hand.
5. Consider escape options when your health reaches half of max. Never know if your 50AC fighter will meet and unexpected end to a sudden LCS
3 rune: MiBe, MiGl, OgHu
5: VSWn
8: DgSk
15: MiMo, DsAr

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 19th July 2014, 22:50

1. You need learn magic to win the game.
2. You need a +11 eveningstar of pain, +14 bastard sword of holy wrath, +12 lajatang of whatever to win the game.
3. You need Firestorm, Glaciate, Nado, and Shatter at 2% fail to win the game.
4. You need to save that wand/potion/scroll of awesomeness just in case, so just try tabbing that almost dead bad guy one more time.
5. Summons suck.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 19th July 2014, 23:00

I see this thread is going the way of all the similar threads like this, where it will contain too much information to be useful.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 19th July 2014, 23:38

crate wrote:I see this thread is going the way of all the similar threads like this, where it will contain too much information to be useful.

That's because creating a list of common misconceptions and tips is inherently flawed when it comes to Crawl. Here are my tips for getting better at Crawl:

1) Don't be afraid to experiment.
2) Identify at least one mistake every time you die.
2a) If you're bad at identifying mistakes, ask someone better than you what you did wrong.
3) Try not to repeat mistakes.

For this message the author WalkerBoh has received thanks: 2
Blomdor, Lasty

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 19th July 2014, 23:56

Updated it a bit.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 00:27

I'm not certain what the point is here tbh. Like, this is not how crawl works; advice has to be tailored to what is actually going on and decisions aren't taken based on generalizations but on how the game at hand is going. GDA is great if you find it in D: 2. D: 1 is the indisputably most dangerous place in the game, not some elf-ridden, godforsaken hole you have no business even being at.

A basic set of concepts like not obsessing over certain things or carrying shit items to "cover resistance holes" and instead focusing on other stuff like pulling monsters to you, using LoS as another weapon etc are all good but you can't really make a list with these; either because the list contains around four vague notions and that's it or you actually go into detail to provide answers to more things and make a towering behemoth of a textwall no one will (or should) read that in the end amounts to trying to give somewhat accurate generic answers to definite problems.

If people have definite problems they can just ask and other people, hopefully knowledgeable people, will reply. For the rest, I am not even sure the right kind of guidelines would achieve anything in the context of this forum.

duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 00:29

Elf:3 is definitely not the most dangerous place in the entire game, not even close.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 00:47

Here's one that I find kind of interesting: the more that you give names to the phenomena that you're talking about, the more likely your reasoning is to be wrong. This is most obvious with certain slang, and you might notice that generally the game's most knowledgeable players never talk about melee characters or ganking or tanking or nuking, popcorn, popguns (maybe even support spells)... I think language like that might just be too restrictive for the depth of crawl's gameplay. So yeah, I'd recommend that players avoid using unnecessary labels so that they can see things as they really are.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

For this message the author mikee has received thanks:
partial

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 01:30

rule 0 and rule -1

now your win rate is 95%, you're welcome

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 02:03

mikee wrote:Here's one that I find kind of interesting: the more that you give names to the phenomena that you're talking about, the more likely your reasoning is to be wrong.

I think this is a correlation vs. causation fallacy: when a phenomenon is familiar enough to warrant naming, one gravitates to it due to the familiarity, not because it is named.

The phenomena I believe you are trying to reference is more akin to the principle that "a little learning is a dangerous thing".

Language does restrict thought -- and being unable to express an idea at all is the most restrictive possibility.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 03:07

dck wrote:Regarding the OP "Heavy armor is often a bad choice" is wrong.

anyway

1-hi
2-unless filthy magic is at work things can't see you if you can't see them
4-yes the green orcs are jackasses walk away
3-remember the stuff you have on you and use it
6-drink the damn potions before you're nearly dead
7-long term plans are your enemy
CORNERS

Fixed the entry and added a couple of these.

Sprucery wrote:Elf:3 is definitely not the most dangerous place in the entire game, not even close.

Thank you, I fixed the entry. I guess what I thinking was that it is a huge newbie trap and can easily go south in an instant.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 03:10

How is it looking so far? Is there anything I should change? Any wording I should re-do?

I am hoping this doesn't end up being a mess, I just want to help newer players with some of the less obvious concepts and give them a few tips to surviving longer and getting their first win.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 05:33

With the changes to enemy summons disappearing with the caster's death Elf isn't even that bad.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 05:34

Demonologists never were the worst threat anyway.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 05:48

I don't think anything in Elf individually is particularly difficult.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 06:24

Annihilators' LCS hits for something like 120 damage max.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 08:17

Elf:3 has always been a death trap for noobs who get into a bad fight and accidentally teleport into the main vault. A teleport scroll gone wrong on elf:3 is about as bad as it gets outside of zot and hell. At least from my experience.

I guess the point of the entry is that teleporting in elf:3 and thats about it, I might just rewrite it again to say just that.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 09:57

If you are in a shitty situation in the elf:3 vault when you teleport - which is one of the main, if not practically the only, reason you would teleport to escape on elf:3, as situations that warrant teleportation outside of the vault are probably very rare - surely having a cointoss between a new shitty situation in the vault and escaping the vault is a good idea. Teleporting only when it's necessary on unexplored levels is still a good general guideline, of course, and might be more suited for the list compared to advice that specific.

I think the list has some advice that is far too general ("don't be afraid to experiment" and "don't repeat previous mistakes" might as well be on fortune cookies) and on the other hand has advice that is the opposite. If you are going to discuss specific items and situations (GDA/elf:3 teleport) we could come up with hundreds of tips aimed at common misperceptions (distortion is a strong brand, elyvilon is a great god, lantern of shadows is strong, etc.) so it seems arbitrary to include just these few.
Last edited by cerebovssquire on Sunday, 20th July 2014, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks: 2
dck, duvessa

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 16:52

The point of my tips was that a list of specific advice is mostly useless for Crawl, since it depends so heavily on your character, situation, and personal preferences. So the only general advice that's useful is basically "play a lot and don't turn off your brain". Dck put it more eloquently above.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 19:01

cerebovssquire wrote:If you are in a shitty situation in the elf:3 vault when you teleport - which is one of the main, if not practically the only, reason you would teleport to escape on elf:3, as situations that warrant teleportation outside of the vault are probably very rare - surely having a cointoss between a new shitty situation in the vault and escaping the vault is a good idea. Teleporting only when it's necessary on unexplored levels is still a good general guideline, of course, and might be more suited for the list compared to advice that specific.

I think the list has some advice that is far to general ("don't be afraid to experiment" and "don't repeat previous mistakes" might as well be on fortune cookies) and on the other hand has advice that is the opposite. If you are going to discuss specific items and situations (GDA/elf:3 teleport) we could come up with hundreds of tips aimed at common misperceptions (distortion is a strong brand, elyvilon is a great god, lantern of shadows is strong, etc.) so it seems arbitrary to include just these few.

I don't understand how having both general advice and specific advice is a bad thing. Could you evaluate on that a little bit more and give some ways to improve it? I think I will delete the one about elf:3, but the GDA one also has general advice in it, using GDA just as the example.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 19:32

Tiktacy wrote:
cerebovssquire wrote:If you are in a shitty situation in the elf:3 vault when you teleport - which is one of the main, if not practically the only, reason you would teleport to escape on elf:3, as situations that warrant teleportation outside of the vault are probably very rare - surely having a cointoss between a new shitty situation in the vault and escaping the vault is a good idea. Teleporting only when it's necessary on unexplored levels is still a good general guideline, of course, and might be more suited for the list compared to advice that specific.

I think the list has some advice that is far to general ("don't be afraid to experiment" and "don't repeat previous mistakes" might as well be on fortune cookies) and on the other hand has advice that is the opposite. If you are going to discuss specific items and situations (GDA/elf:3 teleport) we could come up with hundreds of tips aimed at common misperceptions (distortion is a strong brand, elyvilon is a great god, lantern of shadows is strong, etc.) so it seems arbitrary to include just these few.

I don't understand how having both general advice and specific advice is a bad thing. Could you evaluate on that a little bit more and give some ways to improve it? I think I will delete the one about elf:3, but the GDA one also has general advice in it, using GDA just as the example.

Because individual games are highly situational from game to game, specific tactical advice is often worthless. (But watching how other players handle certain situations may give you insight into your own games.) Because generalized advice is deliberately vague it is not much help for those who don't understand how to play the game. And planning ahead can be deadly since you may forgo using something that you should use just because you want to use it in a particular way. (Two classic examples are EW scrolls being saved for some hypothetical uber weapon type later on, and not quaffing healing potions because the monsters you are fighting shouldn't pose a threat. )

Only through experience will such general advice make much sense and by then, hopefully you will have obtained your own wisdom as to how to proceed in a general fashion.

There are a few things that almost always make sense to me: 1. Moving towards a threat is usually a bad idea. 2. Be aware of your options and how they are likely to be applied. 3. Pay attention to changes on the screens. 4. Log off if you can't pay attention.

Not that I would recommend these things unilaterally but I do think they have helped me. I am still a horrible player though so clearly there is much more for me to learn.
Last edited by Hopeless on Sunday, 20th July 2014, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 19:34

1. Crate's Law (in paraphrase, moving towards a threat is usually a bad idea.)

please don't attach my name to this, thanks

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
duvessa

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 19:37

So would you say the list I am making is helping or hurting new players? There is a difference between giving advice and helping with common misconceptions that sometimes take several deaths to figure out, but if this isn't helping with that, do you think I should delete the thread?

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 19:38

crate wrote:

It was you who said it initially. But OK.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 19:41

Tiktacy wrote:So would you say the list I am making is helping or hurting new players? There is a difference between giving advice and helping with common misconceptions that sometimes take several deaths to figure out, but if this isn't helping with that, do you think I should delete the thread?

imho and take it with some salt, if you are presenting this as advice then I think you are better off leaving well enough alone. If you are merely going to talk about your own experiences and how stuff/learning stuff/ etc helped/hurt your game play then that's probably worth making/keeping. People can decide for themselves whether they agree/disagree/etc. And others will comment and share their own experiences perhaps.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 20:18

I think this does pretty much nothing to either help or hurt as it is right now, because the transparently undecided air around it make it look questionable to pretty much any eyes.
If the format was clearer and/or more blunt I think it would be a pretty harmful post.

e: hi arrhy gr8 summer ain't it

duvessa

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 20:32

dck wrote:I think this does pretty much nothing to either help or hurt as it is right now, because the transparently undecided air around it make it look questionable to pretty much any eyes.
If the format was clearer and/or more blunt I think it would be a pretty harmful post.

e: hi arrhy gr8 summer ain't it

Hearing you say this post isn't harmful is good enough for me, thank you for your kind words.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 20:49

tiktacy, your intentions and even some of your advice may have been good

but this is doomed to be an exercise in masochistic futility

the "crawl n00b advice master thread" has been attempted many times before

the fact that there isn't one already stickied to the forum should have been a warning sign
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

For this message the author tedric has received thanks:
duvessa

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 21:11

tedric wrote:tiktacy, your intentions and even some of your advice may have been good

but this is doomed to be an exercise in masochistic futility

the "crawl n00b advice master thread" has been attempted many times before

the fact that there isn't one already stickied to the forum should have been a warning sign

I am hoping that the idea of a "Common Misconceptions" thread is a little less futile than a "generic crawl advice" thread. Misconceptions are usually things that can be easily agreed on, while strategy is often times too generic to be useful. So for example, saying that walking towards your enemies is usually a bad idea can cause unfortunate deaths by centaur for newer players. But, if one is the come up with an idea that is mutually agreed upon and works for nearly all characters such as "a balance between Armor and dodging is usually optimal", then it can suddenly become much more effective and less degenerate. At least, thats what I'm hoping will be the case.

For this message the author Tiktacy has received thanks:
Count of Hearts

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 22:53

Hopeless wrote:
crate wrote:

It was you who said it initially. But OK.

It was Crate who said it but it was me who coined it as Crate's Law and he doesn't want it to be called it anymore, and I respect that. So now it is called Rule 0. Please update all your relevant documentaries.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 21st July 2014, 07:15

Patashu wrote:It was Crate who said it but it was me who coined it as Crate's Law and he doesn't want it to be called it anymore, and I respect that. So now it is called Rule 0. Please update all your relevant documentaries.

Oh!! Well that case I should have numbered it starting at 0. :/ Sorry.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 21st July 2014, 18:28

crate wrote:

It could be much worse: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Artosis_Pylon

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 21st July 2014, 19:46

Hurkyl wrote:
mikee wrote:Here's one that I find kind of interesting: the more that you give names to the phenomena that you're talking about, the more likely your reasoning is to be wrong.

I think this is a correlation vs. causation fallacy: when a phenomenon is familiar enough to warrant naming, one gravitates to it due to the familiarity, not because it is named.

The phenomena I believe you are trying to reference is more akin to the principle that "a little learning is a dangerous thing".

Language does restrict thought -- and being unable to express an idea at all is the most restrictive possibility.

I think the actual issue here is people coming to the game from other RPGs, bringing with them a set of assumptions (and the vocabulary to describe them) which don't actually work in Crawl. Primarily, I think, stemming from permadeath, and the way the game is balanced around that feature, and the tactical nature/nature of the tactics, but that's a whole discussion in itself.

For this message the author zardo has received thanks:
Patashu

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 00:32

Is there anyway to search ##crawl learndb, as opposed to have to scroll to what I am looking for?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 00:49

I often view it in a browser that has a search function. There are also anchors, so you can append something like #pain_brand to the url to read a particular entry.

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks:
cloud4ge

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 04:54

cloud4ge wrote:Is there anyway to search ##crawl learndb, as opposed to have to scroll to what I am looking for?

ctrl-f
I love pitsprint and pitsprint culture.
dpeg wrote:The only good player is a dead player.

For this message the author partial has received thanks:
cloud4ge

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 17:42

Common Misconception 1: Among top players, there is general agreement on how to best play the game.
Fact: The agreed upon best way to play the game is typically the opposite of whatever the OP has suggested the best way to play the game is.

Common Misconception 2: Top players win 95% of games.
Fact: Some players have had streaks of 20+ wins. By misusing statistics, some people translate that to a win % of 95%+

Also, GDA is fine armor, for the right character. Its got the same EVP as CPA, with 2 less AC, but with RC, RF, and Rpois. That's a great find if you've not already invested a bunch of EA scrolls in your body armor, and if you've got the STR for it. It's only considered the worst armor because some people have wrongly suggested it's the best armor. Also it used to be worse than it is now.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 17:52

damiac wrote:That's a great find if you've not already invested a bunch of EA scrolls in your body armor

"GDA is a good armour, except it isn't." Yes, early GDA can be pretty good and, for a right character, even amazing. The thing is, the chances of it are extremely low, and hoarding enchant armour scrolls is rarely the best strategy. Furthermore, people winning in +0-2 GDA that they obviously made in Depth/Zot/V:5 make me sad.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
duvessa

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 17:53

damiac wrote:Common Misconception 1: Among top players, there is general agreement on how to best play the game.
Fact: The agreed upon best way to play the game is typically the opposite of whatever the OP has suggested the best way to play the game is.

I realize you're just carping here, but I think often that sort of response just indicates that people think the OP is worrying about the wrong things. There are plenty of things that good players disagree about, but as I think this thread demonstrates, there are a few important (but vague and hard to articulate) ideas that most good players agree on.

Common Misconception 2: Top players win 95% of games.
Fact: Some players have had streaks of 20+ wins. By misusing statistics, some people translate that to a win % of 95%+

Is this a misconception people actually have? Certainly there are some people (duvessa comes to mind) who have said that probably 95+% of games could be won. I don't know about an exact number, but I bet that's not very far from the truth.

I do think there are multiple combos that I would expect dozens of players to be able to win 95+% of the time. I also think that there are probably about as many players that, given a random combo to play one game with, could win >50% of the time.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 17:58

damiac wrote:Fact: The agreed upon best way to play the game is typically the opposite of whatever the OP has suggested the best way to play the game is.
Gosh it's almost like people asking for advice usually don't already know the best way to play the game

ackack wrote:I also think that there are probably about as many players that, given a random combo to play one game with, could win >50% of the time.
You don't have to just think that, there's proof that it's easily done:
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/hyperelliptic.html
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/hypermikee.html

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 18:01

duvessa wrote:You don't have to just think that, there's proof that it's easily done:
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/hyperelliptic.html
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/hypermikee.html

That isn't dozens of players, but yes, I'm aware people can do it (I would include myself in the list of people that I think could.) The CSDC is a pretty good illustration of this.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 21:19

duvessa wrote:
damiac wrote:Fact: The agreed upon best way to play the game is typically the opposite of whatever the OP has suggested the best way to play the game is.
Gosh it's almost like people asking for advice usually don't already know the best way to play the game

And that's all fine and well until you start to notice the advice conflicts sometimes, and yet the person who chewed you out for giving the advice in the first place is thanking someone who gives the same advice later on.

sar wrote:"GDA is a good armour, except it isn't." Yes, early GDA can be pretty good and, for a right character, even amazing. The thing is, the chances of it are extremely low, and hoarding enchant armour scrolls is rarely the best strategy. Furthermore, people winning in +0-2 GDA that they obviously made in Depth/Zot/V:5 make me sad.

See, that's the real good advice. It's not that GDA is necessarily bad, what's bad is hoarding EA scrolls for 95% of the game, making it much harder, just to enchant a GDA for the last 5%. Of course, as I said, GDA itself, even if found on D1, is only good for the same characters CPA is good for. Yet I never see anyone say CPA is terrible armor. I'd think most people would trade 2-4AC for RF, RC, and RP.

The real reason everyone rails against GDA is because it starts with the same two letters as GDR, so they're already so angry once they've seen the GD that they can't think straight. :lol:

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 21:24

The most common misconception I regularly see is "a spell's impact is not diminished by AC". When someone says "LCS is irresistible" they mean it doesn't check any resistances, not that every single spear is going to be a 360 no-scope headshot.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 3
Count of Hearts, GlassGo, Sar
Next

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice