Sprint Gone Wrong?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 17th July 2014, 05:42

Sprint Gone Wrong?

As you can see in the attachment I opened a door and died. As I understand it, this is converse to the philosophy of the game and also is pretty darned unfair since there was no reasonable way to know what would be there when I opened it.

Yeah I've been sprinting a bit lately trying to discover more about the game in general and while I am not good at sprinting (no wins) I have learned a few things. One being there are thousands of ways to screw up the same exact scenario time and again but few ways to get it right. Unfortunately, this was my very first attempt at the fedhas sprint and imho this is unforgivable as death traps go.
Attachments
sprintgonewrong.jpg
sprintgonewrong.jpg (275.42 KiB) Viewed 2195 times

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 17th July 2014, 05:50

Re: Sprint Gone Wrong?

Crawl is fair. Sprints do not even pretend to be fair. Expect to die a lot even if you have a 'winning route'.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 17th July 2014, 07:12

Part of sprints is that the threat in that door is never going to change. There's always a ring of invisibility in the prior room, and oklobs don't sinv. Can you see the solution to the specific problem?
take it easy

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 17th July 2014, 08:41

Arrhythmia wrote:Part of sprints is that the threat in that door is never going to change. There's always a ring of invisibility in the prior room, and oklobs don't sinv. Can you see the solution to the specific problem?

Yes I found it immediately after dying the first time. This does not seem cool to me. Sure, sure solve the problem after dying. I get it but this is the first one of the sprints I ran into where it was insta death no chance ever of not dying until discovering the problem.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 17th July 2014, 09:39

There are some sprints made with certain play styles in mind. You won't beat Fedhas without a stealthyman and you won't beat the arena of blood without ripping and cleaving.
Out of all sprints these offer the least replayability, sure, although I'd say they're not made with replayability as a goal but more as a one time challenge.

For this message the author dck has received thanks:
Hopeless

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 17th July 2014, 15:02

Sprints may use Crawl to function, but they are not necessarily designed with Crawl's design philosophy in mind.
Official Online Wins and Streaks
Experimental Wins: 1xImHu (Imps) 1xTrBe (chunkless)
Offline Wins: 2xTrCK 1xFeBe 1xHuWn 1xKoAr 1xMiFi

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 17th July 2014, 18:38

dck wrote:There are some sprints made with certain play styles in mind. You won't beat Fedhas without a stealthyman and you won't beat the arena of blood without ripping and cleaving.
Out of all sprints these offer the least replayability, sure, although I'd say they're not made with replayability as a goal but more as a one time challenge.

Hah well that explains why MiBe didn't work so well in Fedhas and why I felt compelled to start an Axe Wielder in Blood. But wow managed to max out that guy very quickly before eventually dying to the torent of unending high level monsters. Aptly named Sprint that.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice