Pestilent Swamp:5

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 8th July 2014, 09:45

Pestilent Swamp:5

Code:
      77##
   7777~~##        #
   7~~~~~~#      ##.0
   7~~~~~~#######.(..#
  77....~~~##00.....#
777~....~~~~#.000.#
.~.~0.~..~~~....~#
..~~~~...~~...@###
.0~~~7..~~~..###
.~7777..~~####
.7~~7~.~~~#
<7~~...~~7#77
0~.~~...7~~~77   #7#7##777
~..~....~.~~~7   7..)....77
7777..~~~~~~.7   7.777.7..77
.777..7~~~~~~77  7.777~77..7
~.77..77~~...~7  7.77~~~~7.7

So what's the least resource-heavy way of dealing with these bands of miasma across the entrance to the rune-vault? Not so keen on using all my !curing and !HW before the fighting has even started.
Not worried about the slowing, just the HP-rot. (Is it even that bad? Think I can time it to only be in the cloud for 1 turn/band, but there are 2 bands of cloud that I can see, so I imagine I'll be using a few !'s regardless...)

Ideally I'd like to fight as many dudes as possible outside the vault, and limit the number of turns spent walking through the miasma. Suggestions?

[Thought about quaffing !haste, running through the clouds, 'tt' to wake everyone up, and running back to fight outside the vault. Also thought about using a charge of fireball to make some noise at edge of LOS, but I don't know how far away the first dudes are (and no ?magic map), so that might not work. No spells, and I don't think I have any other way of making noise at a distance, though I do have ?noise at my stash.]

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 8th July 2014, 10:24

Re: Pestilent Swamp:5

i am a noob and play tiles version ;) so dunno if this is any helpful

my hints would be a ring of sustain abilities to counter stat loss

or maybe u are able to use another cloud spell (like mephitic cloud - then use clarity amulet or be poison immune) to block the miasma clouds ? i dont know if they are permanent since game keeps giving me shoals all the time :(

if u dont have stuff like that id go somewhere else first and try to get helpful stuff, it sounds like a spot where its easy to die when unprepared. theres usually many swamp dragons and sometimes that mega hydra in the swamp rune room. ive only done it twice so dunno

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 8th July 2014, 10:25

Scroll of noise ?
Loud spells/wands (lightning and fireball are some of the loudest and could also be useful if you attract soem monsters first) ?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th July 2014, 10:30

just walk through....

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 8th July 2014, 10:46

Yup, I'd assumed as much. But wondered nonetheless.

Lost 1HP for 1 turn in 1 cloud. Does miasma just cause direct HP-loss, or does it stick you with rotting as an ongoing status (ever)?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 8th July 2014, 11:08

Rotting is direct without the status. Curable with HW and curing, but this has lower priority, don't do that if you don't have excess supplies.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 8th July 2014, 11:17

Well that was underwhelming. Got the rune with a total of 2HP lost, without using haste or clouds or noise (other than 'tt') or fancy tricks of any kind.

Think I was just sensitised to rotting after facing a ghoulish vault earlier in S. You live and you learn... Thanks guys.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 8th July 2014, 15:11

It's moot now, but FWIW, setting up clouds blocks other clouds from generating in the same tile, so a scroll of fog could be useful if you were forced to stand in the miasma-generating area.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 8th July 2014, 23:52

Lasty wrote:It's moot now, but FWIW, setting up clouds blocks other clouds from generating in the same tile, so a scroll of fog could be useful if you were forced to stand in the miasma-generating area.

Wow, the memories of using this secret tech are flooding back so fast (I think I was using meph or poison cloud with rPois lol)

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 9th July 2014, 00:02

Patashu wrote:
Lasty wrote:It's moot now, but FWIW, setting up clouds blocks other clouds from generating in the same tile, so a scroll of fog could be useful if you were forced to stand in the miasma-generating area.

Wow, the memories of using this secret tech are flooding back so fast (I think I was using meph or poison cloud with rPois lol)

Reminds me of the time I did a volcano with a Mummy that still had rF-: I simply spammed poison cloud everywhere I walked, so the erupting volcano wouldn't hurt me!

For this message the author Hurkyl has received thanks:
tedric

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice