Online account management strategy!

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 1st July 2014, 22:08

Online account management strategy!

So, I'm curious how people manage online accounts for record keeping. So far I've been doing all of my games in one account, but that can start to get frustrating when you're in the middle of a streak but want to play other experimental characters, play in walker's sudden death tournament, etc. I also have very little chance of budging my 1.5% winrate significantly, since I've zerged the dungeon with 2000+ characters. I know Tedronai signed up for the sudden death tournament on a second account because Tedronai still has an active 15 win streak. theglow still has his 18 win streak from the .12 tournament unbroken, so either he hasn't played in ~2 years, or he's retired that account.

Do other people split their accounts into high winrate/streaks vs experimental? I know that there's elliptic and hyperelliptic, but I believe he's stated that he doesn't play much differently on either of them, but correct me if I'm wrong. I guess 70% winrate is higher than 47% winrate, but they're both so high I'm not sure I can ever compare :)

I'm not sure I even want to mention robin accounts... <.<

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 1st July 2014, 22:35

Re: Online account management strategy!

My strategy goes as follows:

1) Win a game
2) lose the next 10 straight because early RNG hate such as opening the first door I see and getting smacked by a gnoll.
3) get a character rolling then lose in Vaults to a crystal spear in the face.

Ok, not really a strategy. More like "sucking without style."
3 rune: MiBe, MiGl, OgHu
5: VSWn
8: DgSk
15: MiMo, DsAr

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 1st July 2014, 22:57

hyper[name] accounts just use random character selection iirc. I know there was a list of hyperimpostors who don't follow the hyper rule.

streak

Suck it up imo. I play roguelikes, not leaderboards.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 2nd July 2014, 00:21

the best thing to do when you're on a streak is to lose a game because gosh trying to win every single game of crawl is the least fun thing

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
Utis

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 2nd July 2014, 00:24

I like setting goals :) Current goals are streaks and great players, after that is done/gets boring, I'll probably move on to speed runs (low turn count for 15 runes, aka, highest score). I might try to work on lowering real time too, which would be helpful for being able to play more runs in the limited RL time. Maybe I'll have to give in and join the console master race to reduce webtiles lag, and finally give up on keeping travel delay :P

the best thing to do when you're on a streak is to lose a game because gosh trying to win every single game of crawl is the least fun thing

This is why I picked naga for the 5th character...I sort of regret it, but I also sort of really don't :)

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 2nd July 2014, 00:26

I'll probably make a second account for when I'm not going for win rate at some point, idk, I might not ever play Crawl enough to have time to not play going for win rate type stuff

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 2nd July 2014, 14:44

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:Suck it up imo. I play roguelikes, not leaderboards.

word.
I love pitsprint and pitsprint culture.
dpeg wrote:The only good player is a dead player.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 2nd July 2014, 17:05

I can't say I understand the question...Though with 2 wins (offline at that) and hundreds of 'not wins' I guess that is besides the point for me.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 2nd July 2014, 17:40

Hopeless wrote:I can't say I understand the question...

tasonir wants to streak-win all Naga combos, but his inner urge to play weak combos like MiBe, CeHu, SpEn, ... keeps shattering his attempts. Thus he contemplates starting a new account on which he can accomplish his goal with a 100% win rate to immortalize himself as the greatest Naga player of all time :)

For this message the author Tedronai has received thanks: 2
duvessa, tasonir

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 2nd July 2014, 18:36

Tedronai wrote:
Hopeless wrote:I can't say I understand the question...

tasonir wants to streak-win all Naga combos, but his inner urge to play weak combos like MiBe, CeHu, SpEn, ... keeps shattering his attempts. Thus he contemplates starting a new account on which he can accomplish his goal with a 100% win rate to immortalize himself as the greatest Naga player of all time :)

It must be so!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd July 2014, 06:33

Tasoniraga(?)

Also, for those that don't know you can tell sequell to alias your nick if you want aggregate stats for all your accounts on ##crawl
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 3rd July 2014, 07:31

crate wrote:the best thing to do when you're on a streak is to lose a game because gosh trying to win every single game of crawl is the least fun thing

I'm really curious of your opinion on this: why are you thinking so? (Not that I try to win every game.) I always thought that the (many of the ) best players usually try to win every single game.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd July 2014, 07:37

I try to win within the limits of what's fun. But there are a lot of situations in crawl where I really would rather do something that I know is risky instead of trying at all costs to win.

A very easy example: I melee monsters with glowing weapons. I could usually avoid all such monsters, but gosh it is annoying to do this because you have to take a staircase (to stop the monster following you). Then typically you return to the floor you left via a different staircase, but it's not uncommon to encounter the very same monster you were fleeing from earlier again, and then you repeat this dance. Instead I choose to risk dying but save minutes of my time by just fighting the monster as if it had a not-glowing weapon. And sometimes it's venom/disto/elec and I die.

An older, no-longer-relevant example: you should have in the past picked up every glowing weapon and moved it to a different floor (or throw in lava/water) so they don't get used against you by a different monster later. You should have picked up early plate armours even if you never were planning to use them, because monsters with 10 more AC are much more dangerous. (Of course very few or no players actually did these things--but they were probably things you should do if your goal is to win at all costs.)

If I know I'm on a streak sometimes I feel pressured to play a bit more in this "safe but no fun" way, so really I prefer to just lose a game as soon as possible to remove it.

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 2
duvessa, sanka

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 3rd July 2014, 08:28

crate wrote:If I know I'm on a streak sometimes I feel pressured to play a bit more in this "safe but no fun" way, so really I prefer to just lose a game as soon as possible to remove it.

Just try not to think about streaks. You are playing for !FUN! (hmm, I gotta try another DECj with firestorm after I win something about 8-12rune game or die with my current DsDK) and other stuff shouldn't worry you.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd July 2014, 09:18

well thankfully I will never officially be on a streak again since I don't actually pick up the orb of zot any more!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd July 2014, 09:25

Siegurt wrote:Tasoniraga(?)

Also, for those that don't know you can tell sequell to alias your nick if you want aggregate stats for all your accounts on ##crawl

Code:
[11:24] <Sequell> Mapping elynae => elynae elynaeandxom hyperelynae danceswithwargs mossforestblossombat* cretiantourist dwarfmountainbat huckleberryfinn phasebat mossforthemossgod sugarplumbat elynaeisdiving nacreous cerebovssquire thisissparta marquisronove ghostfacedbat fruitybat dissolution johnmilton ennui cang leotrogsky ultraelynae elynaedreamselectric halfanhour bfbat9000 danceswithpillars nietzchei kikugaar...

to all aspiring multi-accounters, you can be cool but you'll never be as cool as me

*this is an actual bat species and quite possibly the most beautiful word in the english language

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 3rd July 2014, 15:35

^ Did you only play halflings on that account?

(The moss-forest blossom bat's scientific name is Syconycteris hobbit.)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd July 2014, 15:41

IIRC, it was one of my many failed attempts to streak some wins on a new account (like all of the other bats there).

Wikipedia says moss-forest blossom bats are threatened by habitat loss and they're on the red list :'( screw the whales, Greenpeace, there are more important problems!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd July 2014, 16:35

totally read that as "screw wheals"

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
wheals

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 4th July 2014, 05:23

I make a new account every time i forget my password. Hence the number at the end of this current forum name. i think i've had over 20 game+forum accounts over the years, and I can barely remember my latest game/forum name/password.

strategy

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 4th July 2014, 05:52

Let's see... I have "WalkerBoh" when I want to walk around, RunnerBoh for walking around way less, hyperboh for when I eat way too much candy, and freshmilk because mmm.

Strategy.

For this message the author WalkerBoh has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 4th July 2014, 20:30

Has anyone yet coined the term, "winscumming"?

For this message the author Aule has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 5th July 2014, 07:08

crate wrote:well thankfully I will never officially be on a streak again since I don't actually pick up the orb of zot any more!

You really seem to do so, but why?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 5th July 2014, 07:10

Code:
<Sequell> crate crawl[1/2]: https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8705 update for .14: get the silver rune then leave, no entering depths/crypt/forest/elf, can only enter one lair rune branch

edit: link since code block kills links: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8705

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
Magipi

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 5th July 2014, 07:27

Cool, thanks. I'm still digesting it.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 5th July 2014, 08:53

I use an account 'prestonbroadus' when i'm playing drunk or going for experimental things like getting some fancy titles.

Strategery

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice