MuNe^Goz after Lair, how to build the character?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 18th August 2019, 22:48

MuNe^Goz after Lair, how to build the character?

Dump: https://pastebin.com/raw/LhMKnmnc

In spite of having won all races but two (mummy and felid), I still have a lot of trouble figuring out how to build my characters. I'll throw some questions that come to my mind regarding my current character, but I'd appreciate if you guys could throw in some general tips too:

TL;DR: Which weapon to use? What spells to learn and use? How to use Gozag's gold? What skills to train?

1. Weapons: I've trained a little bit of long blades (~6), there is a manual of Long Blades on sale for 1766g, I have a +2 falchion of freezing, a +4 great sword of freezing, a plain scimitar, a scroll of brand weapon, and a +2 buckler.
    1. Which weapon should I use?
    2. Should I aim to buy the manual of Long Blades as soon as possible (see 3.)?
    3. Should I keep training long blades or just stick to necromancy and other spells (see 2.)?
  2. Spells:
    1. I just got Death Channel online and it cleared Lair 6 like a breeze. I guess this spell will carry me through pretty much the whole 3 rune game. Is this right?
    2. I also learned Spectral Weapon, but I feel it doesn't synergize very well with Death Channel, as the amount of space for all summons is limited. What do you guys think?
    3. Regarding other necromancy spells, I only have Agony available (in a 1105g book). Worth it? (again, see 3., regarding gold usage).
    4. Regarding other schools, I have some Hexes (Confusing Touch, Confuse, Dazzling Spray, Tukima's Dance, Silence, Invisibility, Darkness) and Earth spells (Stone Arrow, LRD) available, but having Death Channel already, I feel like they're not necessary to win the game. Am I right?
    5. What about Confusing Touch specifically? Is it as OP as it seems, now that it can be used with weapons?
  3. Gold: How should I prioritize the usage of Gozag's gold? I have 2087g, with potion petition costing 400g and call merchant, 1200g. Options I see:
    1. Keep calling merchants, in order to get some rF and other equipment, as I'm still at rF-.
    2. Buy the manual of Long Blades for 1766g.
    3. Buy Agony spell (1105g)
  4. Skills: How do you see my skills so far? I'm not sure about my previous decisions that led to training Earth Magic (4), Long Blades(6). Earth Magic was trained around D:6 in order to use Sandblast to kill negative resistant monsters. Long Blades was trained around D:8 with the same idea, after getting the +4 great sword of freezing from a wight. How should I approach my skilling from now on?

I am sorry for the length of the post, and thanks in advance for your replies.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 19th August 2019, 08:30

Re: MuNe^Goz after Lair, how to build the character?

DCSS being self-aware
  Code:
 75972 | D:8      | Bought the Incunabulum of Cheese for 1184 gold pieces
 75979 | D:8      | Learned a level 6 spell: Death Channel

:lol:

Now that that's out of the way, in order:
1) The weapon you use doesn't matter as much in a 3-rune game unless some incredible randart/ fixedart drops out of nowhere. Sticking to LB is fine, but don't buy the manual for now. You're much too early in the game to make that kind of bank-draining purchase. I'd try to put that off until the rest of L:, D:, and possibly O: are cleared.
2) Spells are your main strength, and due to the skilling as it is now, learn BVC if it generated. If not, buy it later. Death channel is monstrously powerful, as is Haunt. You'll likely want Haunt as an endgame single-target eraser. Agony doesn't really measure up to BVC / DChannel / Haunt, I wouldn't spend for it. Regarding the other spells, I would try to get Invivibility down to a reasonable %. It can make plenty of situations much more convenient.
3) I do agree that rF x is a problem, but between summons and some sword / wand kills you're very secure. Maybe call merchant before entering O: because of sorcerers and sun demons? Not sure about that one.
4) The current skills look fine to me, more Dodging could help. If you do learn Invisibility, Hexes are obvious.
There is always something new to learn.

For this message the author Sorcerous has received thanks:
quik

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 19th August 2019, 09:06

Sorcerous wrote:2) I would try to get Invivibility down to a reasonable %. It can make plenty of situations much more convenient.

Thanks for your reply.

In retrospective, I should've said that Invisibility is within a book that costs 1200g, along with Swiftness, Passage of Golubria, Darkness and LRD. Does that change your advice?

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 19th August 2019, 10:40

quik wrote:In retrospective, I should've said that Invisibility is within a book that costs 1200g, along with Swiftness, Passage of Golubria, Darkness and LRD. Does that change your advice?

Hmm, not really. Though if Spider nest is in this game, that makes it more of a priority purchase because of moths.
There is always something new to learn.

For this message the author Sorcerous has received thanks:
quik

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 19th August 2019, 16:24

I'm not convinced a mummy should even enter spider unless following gods like Yred or having access to clarity. It's more dangerous than any other S branch and I'd argue it's more dangerous than elf/vaults/depths to mummies following most gods. Gozag can help you break out of the confusion though, so maybe that could be pulled off.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice