Unarmed Combat

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 7th July 2014, 12:55

Unarmed Combat

Hello Forum,

I just started playing a rather promising Ghoul of Qazlal. My question is about unarmed combat and the penalties, that are due to armour and shields.

In my testing, switching between "no armor" and a chain mail gave only a minimal difference in attack speed. (With zero Armour skill, that is.) It changed from "above average" to average. More armour skill could reduce that, even, I think.

Later, I tried a buckler to increase survivability and it actually reduced my attack speed from "quite fast" to "above average", even though I had already trained Shields up to level 8. I seem to remember though, that somewhere on the wiki it says that you can overcome the shield-penalty by training shields to a certain level.

So, I am asking for advice, whether using a buckler or shield is worth it, and/or if I should wear plate armour, because the penalty of heavy armours seems to be negligible.

Thank you.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 7th July 2014, 13:12

Re: Unarmed Combat

A buckler is not worth it, because it removes your auxiliary punch, which is a large nerf to your total damage output. In return, you get the defense of a buckler - not that amazing.
A shield is a better tradeoff - you still lose the punch, but the shield's defensive boost is more meaningful compared to the buckler. Especially if it's a shield of a good ego.
As for body armour, the penalty of body armour on UC may as well not exist, wear the armour that you would otherwise wear.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 7th July 2014, 13:18

By the way, for more precise assessment of your attack speed you can look at the number in parentheses right next to the time count (i.e. "Time: 2052.4 (0.9)"). This number tells you how long your last action took.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 7th July 2014, 18:20

Also be aware when using that metric that unarmed's penalty from armour and shields is randomized, so you may have to try a fair number of times to get a good understanding of what the average is (it's also not a flat distribution)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Lasty

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice