Invistabber Weapon Comparison

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 29th June 2014, 11:51

Invistabber Weapon Comparison

Hey guys, my current trunk character is an invistabber.

What's better, +5 dagger of speed, of the vampire's tooth?

My guess is that the dagger of speed is better overall, but, I'm thinking that maybe they're BOTH better than the other, in different situations:

1: The dagger of speed could be better when stabbing groups of sleeping enemies, since the lower delay could mean that the monsters have less time to wake up and notice what's going on.

2: The vampire's tooth could be better when invistabbing groups of awake enemies, since these actually can hit you sometimes, and require more stabbings: the vampiric brand could help me mitigate that damage and give me more staying power (vampiric weapons always give a lot of notdie oomph)

Also, I don't think the hunger cost is going to be a big issue (kobold, no sacrifices, no necro)

Is my reasoning solid? Is it quantifiably relevant - i.e., are those differences too small to be relevant or not?
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 29th June 2014, 12:25

Re: Invistabber Weapon Comparison

Point 1 is invalid. They get a chance to wake up after every action, no matter how fast or slow it is. Nagas and Spriggans can take the same number of steps before something wakes up. If they are asleep, it doesn't matter much which dagger you use, because they'll die in one hit. If you need healing, use the tooth. As a Kobold, you probably rest to heal. A dagger of flaming, freezing, or stabbing would beat either one, but it rarely matters.

I think situation 2, stabbing enemies who are awake, is where speed really shines as a brand. You get more stabs before they have a chance to hit you or before invisibility wears off. This also works for repeatedly stabbing confused or petrified or otherwise awake-but-stabbable enemies.

Unless you are a bloodless vampire or a deep dwarf, vampirism is much more valuable on a big two-handed weapon than on a dagger.

EDIT: misspelled big
Last edited by jejorda2 on Sunday, 29th June 2014, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 29th June 2014, 12:31

So the only practical use for the vampire's tooth in this case would be regaining health while not in a critical situation (thus reducing 5-mashing and/or consumable use)
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 29th June 2014, 16:13

Yeah, I'd say the vampire's tooth is nearly useless for you. If you need health, you should not be in a place where you need to deal damage. I guess you could mop up popcorn with it, but fighting something that damages you significantly with popcorn around is a worse idea than fighting it without popcorn around.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice