Trogs Weapon-gifts random?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 17th June 2014, 13:12

Trogs Weapon-gifts random?

Hello Forum,

this is now the second Trog-worshipper of mine, that received utterly uselesss items as gifts.
With this Ds I received the first gift when I had Maces at level 12. A +2,+2 sling of frost. Okay, bad day, I thought.
However the next 4 (!) items were; another sling, two longbows, and a great sword. After that I received a +2,+3 Morningstar of freezing, which was of course heavily outclassed by what I had just found randomly. (I had only two levels in throwing, no other ranged skills.)
The same thing has happened with my Trog worshipper before that one.

Now I am asking whether this is a bug or intended? Is it done, so you don't get too useful weapons early on? If so, this is a really bad attempt at balancing, because it feels really frustrating to switch to a weapon-giving god, only to get almost worthless items. There has to be a better way of balancing this, if it is an intended feature.

PS: The second mace I got was an artifact eveningstar. Turned out to be the +2.-2 Eveningstar of Woe (+rF). At that point I also already had 3 pips of +rF easily available :x

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th June 2014, 14:05

Re: Trogs Weapon-gifts random?

This is intended behaviour.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 17th June 2014, 15:01

I still don't get why the artifact generator(s?) spews out oodles of crap instead of fewer, reasonable artifacts.

I can only guess that since mountain dwarves were genocided, the artifact smiths guild is hard-pressed to find talented labourers.
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 17th June 2014, 19:23

Longbows are anything but "utterly useless" gifts, especially if you're playing in Trunk. It's worth putting points into bows so you can soften up/kill tough enemies.
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 17th June 2014, 19:38

scorpionwarrior wrote:Longbows are anything but "utterly useless" gifts, especially if you're playing in Trunk. It's worth putting points into bows so you can soften up/kill tough enemies.

Perhaps but it might also be worth it to use them as a skill less ranged weapon... All non-sling/dart ranged stuff got a boost so skill while good isn't 100% necessary to soften stuff up. If you want to one-shot things then yep. (At least I think skill helps a good deal with damage, not sure about that since I tend to avoid ranged skills in favor of magic.) Otoh since this is a Trogdite (sic?) there isn't a lot else to spend skill points on.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 18th June 2014, 08:47

This confuses me, as the wiki states: "[...]though there is always a small chance of receiving a weapon for which you have no skill[..]".

Longbows are anything but "utterly useless" gifts, especially if you're playing in Trunk. It's worth putting points into bows so you can soften up/kill tough enemies.

I am not playing the most recent trunk version, ranged combat is untouched, in my version.
Also, should I just backtrack through the Dungeon to collect all the arrows I left on the floor?

Thank you all, for your advice. I still feel, though, that balancing the weapon-gifts by making them not fit the character I'm playing is rather poor design.
It might be a better idea, to reduce the overall amount of gifts given by this god, and exchange make them more useable by the adventurer.

PS: Is there a mechanism that Weapon-Gifts somehow scale with level? Maybe this effect could be increased, so that in the beginning I get enchanted maces, and gradually the tier increases, throughout the game.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 18th June 2014, 08:58

Nope.
but you are more likely to get something you didn't have/see before.
so if Trog/Oka gifts a morningstar at first, he is more likely to give a Great mace afterwards.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th June 2014, 14:41

Snaaty wrote:

This confuses me, as the wiki states: "[...]though there is always a small chance of receiving a weapon for which you have no skill[..]".
Not literally everything on the wiki is wrong; even a broken clock is right twice a day, and all that. This particular clause happens to be correct, though calling it a "small" chance is a bit strange.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice