The counterpart to no item destruction

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 18th June 2014, 20:55

The counterpart to no item destruction

So far I've noticed that bolt monster spells seem to pack much more hurt... Asterion cut my HP in half with a Makhleb bolt of fire, Mara's bolts are even nastier.

Am I mistaken? Has anybody noticed anything else, or have better information?
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th June 2014, 21:06

Re: The counterpart to no item destruction

Hasn't changed.

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
duvessa

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 18th June 2014, 21:17

Ok so it was just bad luck and/or wimpy characters.

At least I can be glad I'm mistaken! :D
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 18th June 2014, 23:07

Psiweapon wrote:So far I've noticed that bolt monster spells seem to pack much more hurt... Asterion cut my HP in half with a Makhleb bolt of fire, Mara's bolts are even nastier.

Monster spells have ALWAYS been incredibly dangerous with incredibly high maximum possible hits. Orbs of fire can do up to 129 damage in one fireball, and if you aren't hasted, they attack twice for one of your turns and both of them are max damage fireballs, that's 258 damage (insanely unlikely, but proves my point). Crystal spears are another good candidate for 'huh, I got hit for 100+ damage suddenly'.
And it's not just spells - titans and ettins and berserk orb guardians and titanic slime creatures can wallop you for almost all your hp with good rolls.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 18th June 2014, 23:19

Patashu wrote:
Psiweapon wrote:So far I've noticed that bolt monster spells seem to pack much more hurt... Asterion cut my HP in half with a Makhleb bolt of fire, Mara's bolts are even nastier.

Monster spells have ALWAYS been incredibly dangerous with incredibly high maximum possible hits. Orbs of fire can do up to 129 damage in one fireball, and if you aren't hasted, they attack twice for one of your turns and both of them are max damage fireballs, that's 258 damage (insanely unlikely, but proves my point). Crystal spears are another good candidate for 'huh, I got hit for 100+ damage suddenly'.
And it's not just spells - titans and ettins and berserk orb guardians and titanic slime creatures can wallop you for almost all your hp with good rolls.

Yes, I was aware of all those... Ogre Mage crystalspear double tap to your face is quite jarring, titanic slime creatures are something that shouldn't happen (in the sense that if they do merge up to titanic, most of the time the player is at least partly responsible), I guess I just hadn't *noticed* a good monster fire bolt roll yet.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 19th June 2014, 18:51

This is why it's important to have that first pip of rF as soon as possible, and then maintain it whenever possible. I like to have it on something permanent, ie, not a ring, and never take it off. Some runs this isn't possible, but in general you can usually get a couple of resists on your gear and it makes a big difference.

Having one pip of rF/rC/rN/rElec/rPois is far from necessary, but it makes me feel safe, and I like that. Because I'm not a careful player most of the time :P

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice