Invisibility as a support spell for non-stabbers

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 17th June 2014, 12:12

Invisibility as a support spell for non-stabbers

I've read in this forum experienced players ephasise the value of the invisibility spell. But that was, IIRC, mostly in the context of enchanters. Would you consider it also for non-stabbers? Getting it castable, e.g., for a mid-level spellcasting Sif-Muna worshipper in light armour isn't too much of a burden, but neither is it's XP investment in Hexes so light as to be unnoticable. In other words: I think it's okay, if the spell is really useful, but not, if not. So, is invisibilty 'really useful' for a non-stabber?

(No dump, because I'm more interested in a general evaluation and a rule of thumb.)
"... while we / Unburden'd crawl toward death." -- King Lear I,1

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th June 2014, 12:19

Re: Invisibility as a support spell for non-stabbers

It is very useful, because many dangerous monsters don't see invisible. The whole of Shoals:5, for example, or draconians in Zot, giants, many dragons etc. etc.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 17th June 2014, 12:53

Invisibility is great, stabber or not, it just synergizes extremely well with stabbers. There's evokable invisibility, too.
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th June 2014, 13:02

The general problem with Invis in most cases is that you can't have both Invis and Haste due to Contam, and in a dangerous fight you probably want Haste.
That said, there are probably cases when Invis is better. I love using it vs. draconians in Zot. It's hilarious!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th June 2014, 13:53

if you have invis spell you might as well spend the small amount of xp necessary to make it go from "pretty strong combat buff" to "instakills 90% of the game" if your goal is just to win

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
Lasty

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice