Spell failure chance

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 20:29

Spell failure chance

Dose any one know if there is an increase in spell failure with heavier armor or weapons?

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 21:51

Re: Spell failure chance

ok so anything that lowers evasion will increase spell failure. thanks

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 22:01

minmay wrote:Body armour decreases your spell success depending on its evasion penalty; unless it's 0, your spell success will be affected. Shields decrease your spell success rate too, but this effect can be completely eliminated with sufficient Shields skill.

Weapons with a base attack delay higher than 100% will very slightly decrease spell success when wielded, but this effect is so tiny that it can be ignored. Come to think of it, I'm not sure why this is even in the game.

Non-body armour such as gloves and helmets never has an evasion penalty and never affects your spell success.

Note that these only affect spell success. Spell power and spell hunger are the same.

I noticed that higher shield skill lowered the penalty, but I didn't know it could be completely removed. Thanks!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 22:57

Another thing I found on the forums that isn't obvious: If you play a large race, you can use bucklers right off the bat with no penalty.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 22:59

Draconian, troll and ogre can't even wield bucklers. Maybe they could in an older version?

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 23:39

now does any one have any information about how much each point lost affects the spell failure?

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 10:09

ray57913 wrote:now does any one have any information about how much each point lost affects the spell failure?

The formula is quite complex. This page explains the spell success formula. And this one the formula for AEVP. The "base chance" from the spellcasting formula is increased by AEVP * 25. There's no simple way to convert that to %.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 6th April 2011, 00:24

Ok i am completely lost on how to figure this out

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 6th April 2011, 00:40

Could be a new spreadsheet project in order similar to the weapon damage spreadsheet. This would be more simple I think.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 6th April 2011, 00:48

thats one of the things i'm lost about. i'm trying to figure it out so i can plug stuff in.
though one problem you have to plug a lot of information in depending on the spell.
currently i am trying to build it based on magic dart

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 6th April 2011, 01:00

I am trying to figure out how the calculations for the armor and shield penalty are done any help would be appreciated.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 6th April 2011, 08:41

The armour and shield penalty is equal to 25 * AEVP (Adjusted EVasion Penalty). AEVP for armour is [base_penalty + max(0, 3*base_penalty - str)] * [45 - armour_skill]/45.
base_penalty is the evasion penalty (EVP) of the body armour. If you assume strength is >= 3*EVP, you can simplify the formula to:
base_penalty * [45 - armour_skill]/45
For shields, the AEVP formula depends on race size. It is: base_penalty - shield skill / k. With k = 9 for little races (spriggan), k=7 for small, k=5 for normal and k=3 for large.
I've made a couple of charts for AEVP.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice