Is there more food in lair or dungeon?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 9th June 2014, 22:51

Is there more food in lair or dungeon?

My current character is a Spriggan, and there has been a dearth of food: I was even down to Very Hungry and no food at one point, despite not using any hunger-intensive spells.

Fortunately, I came across a food store (the only time I've ever been happy to see one), so I no longer had a fear of starving. But assuming I had not, my food shortage was still looming by the time I got to D:11 lair, so I was faced with the question: do I keep going through the dungeon looking for the mysterious guaranteed food (What exactly is the guarantee on food? Is there vegetarian food guaranteed?) or random spawns, or do I look for food in the Lair?

(I opted to do lair and got enough food, and it turns out there was a food vault on the same level as the Lair entrance, but I'm still curious for the next time I run into this problem)

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 9th June 2014, 23:04

Re: Is there more food in lair or dungeon?

Lair does tend to have those orchard-style fruit vaults and the occasional bees' nest, but D has food vaults too though they tend to be meaty. So for a vegetarian Lair seems like a better bet, but in terms of total nutrition possibility, I don't know. I think I'd be surprised if food floor spawn rates were different branch-to-branch, other than the obvious like no food in Crypt.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 10th June 2014, 03:09

You are guaranteed a food vault between D:7-14 inclusive. Food vaults are guaranteed to contain at least some vegetarian food, and are generally biased in that direction (the rationale being that carnivores can provide their own food readily enough).

For this message the author sgrunt has received thanks:
tedric

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th June 2014, 03:51

tedric wrote:I think I'd be surprised if food floor spawn rates were different branch-to-branch, other than the obvious like no food in Crypt.
food generates in crypt

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
tedric

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 10th June 2014, 04:55

duvessa wrote:
tedric wrote:I think I'd be surprised if food floor spawn rates were different branch-to-branch, other than the obvious like no food in Crypt.
food generates in crypt

I think the misconception is that people talk about crypt not having food when they mean not having corpses to eat.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th June 2014, 12:13

Hopeless wrote:I think the misconception is that people talk about crypt not having food when they mean not having corpses to eat.

...which is also a misconception, since there are at least deep dwarf, deep elf and necromancer corpses to eat (although not too many).
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 10th June 2014, 13:49

duvessa wrote:
food generates in crypt

Yeah sometimes I don't know why I bother opening my mouth, or maybe I just shouldn't post when I've stayed up too late. I don't go to Crypt that often, but often enough that I should know this. :oops:

But I swear I read someone saying "no food in crypt" the other day, and maybe my sleep-addled brain thought it was a new commit (maybe they were suggesting something for Chunkless?).
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice