Looking for Mutation Resitance

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 16:41

Looking for Mutation Resitance

I have a FoFi of TSO that's getting ready for extended, but hasn't found any rMut anywhere. The normal branches are fully cleared, and I just started poking into Zot, but ran into a couple orbs of fire and got a (minor) malmute. Was wondering if I should keep plowing through zot to try and find an rMut amulet, or would I be better off trying: Abyss, Hell, Tomb, etc.

I was thinking of trying the Tomb next, since I don't think there's any malmuting enemies in there, but that's also where my last character died, so I'm a little gunshy.

I have an overabundance of fire resistance, if that matters. (have rF++ mutation, as well as a plethora of rF gear) rElec and rPois are good. Mr's at +++++. I'm a little light on Cold resistance (just 1 pip) but I do have rings for emergencies. (Lots of ice dragons, but no hides, so I'm relying on a rC large shield)

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 17:09

Re: Looking for Mutation Resitance

Tomb is just ARGH, once you're done you can switch to Elyvilon and purify, and then switch to Zin for your rMut in extended.
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 17:13

Or just switch to Zin. I don't see much need for going to Ely in-between, just zaps your piety for no reason.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 17:53

Breezed through the Tomb. Definitely hit my massive curing stockpile, but otherwise wasn't as bad as I expected. Found an artifact ring to cover my rC deficiency, and finally got a spellbook with summon butterflies in it.

I don't really want to switch gods, because I have zero rN without TSO. (now that I look at it, literally the only source of rN in my game so far is a terrible artifact shortsword, and only 1 pip at that)

I guess the RNG gods hate me?

Edit: Anyway, this brings up the issue again. Now I'm down to Zot, Abyss, Slime pits, Hells, and Pandemonium. with no source of rMut where should I head next? Aside from the lack of rMut, I now have every other resistance in spades. (also 30+ AC/EV and 40+ SH)

Update: I forgot that warding gives rN+, so I would have 1 pip of rN if I switch to Zin. (Dunno if that's enough, though?)

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 18:56

0 is enough.

About gods, Zin is way better in Hells and Zot, and while I personally prefer him in Pan too (though good to have some regen gear), TSO is roughly just as good there. If you insist on not switching, then Pan is the only choice.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 19:31

I ended up deciding to hop into a ziggurat and found an acquirement scroll. Picked jewelry and got my rMut ammy. : )

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 20:01

stickyfingers wrote:0 is enough.

About gods, Zin is way better in Hells and Zot, and while I personally prefer him in Pan too (though good to have some regen gear), TSO is roughly just as good there. If you insist on not switching, then Pan is the only choice.

I'd say TSO is much better in pan, solely due to the fact that he gives HP on some kills. Zin blocks the regen spell, and gives no regen of his own. Of course Zin blocks mutations, so if you have a lot of regen gear maybe he edges out TSO.

In hell Zin is really good, since he blocks almost all the hell effects, so you can actually rest. Plus the Rmut is great.

In Zot, Zin's probably better just because of his abilities and rmut, but TSO's angels are nice there.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 22:41

I find there is much higher likelihood of being mutated in pan than Hells. And Zin is better in both, in my opinion - regen does not matter in Pan since you can find quiet areas easily, and in Hells the cancellation of Hell effects is basically like free regen.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 4th June 2014, 12:46

Maybe my last time through Pan was just especially hectic, but I had to bail out of two different Pan levels because the enemies wouldn't stop coming long enough for me to be able to heal. I didn't have any regen items, so regen on kills would have gone a long way. Zin is kind of a jerk about healing, at least all the other gods who forbid regen give you some form of healing.

I also found it was too risky to use recite in pan, until a level was mostly cleared, since it just seemed to attract hordes of enemies.

Yeah, Zin wins in hell no question. I'd rather be able to 5 away all my damage than recover a little on kills.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 4th June 2014, 12:58

It's great to have rMut in Pan, but guaranteed life save with Sanctuary is more important factor for me considering Pan's random landing.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 4th June 2014, 13:43

That's a fair point. Zin is much better for the landing, if things are immediately ugly.

I look at the Rmut from zin as a nice bonus, but not really a deciding factor (unless I haven't found Rmut amulet).

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 6th June 2014, 18:40

Running into a similar situation with my MiMo of Igni > TSO, except with the added bugaboo of a Zin switch leaving me without my Plutonium Sword. I do have a backup randart +11 Claymore (slice MP+5 Regen) [thanks for being such a broken god Igni, what with your laughable wrath] stashed away, so I'm thinking the Zin switch mostly so I'm not shouting at everything with my malmute in Pan.
3 rune: MiBe, MiGl, OgHu
5: VSWn
8: DgSk
15: MiMo, DsAr

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 6th June 2014, 23:22

Here are some lesser praised forms of resist mutation:
1) Running away
2) Summon butterflies
3) Moving so another monster is in the way (then using smite targetting such as airstrike/portal projectile or just waiting for melee range)
4) Fire storm

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks: 2
Bloax, duvessa

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice