Unsolvable Labyrinth?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 05:28

Unsolvable Labyrinth?

Normally I breeze through labyrinths, but I am having the toughest time with one I've run into in v0.8

Don't exactly know how to describe it, and I doubt screenshots would do much good. I've found the metal walls, but the area just has a bunch of dead ends. And I've tried exploring elsewhere because I know sometimes you need to hit the metal walls from a different angle, but that was no good either.

Has anyone else run into something like this? Is it possible that an unsolvable labyrinth was accidentally added in the trunk version? Or, if you think you know which one I'm talking about and know the trick to it, please share? :|

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 05:32

Re: Unsolvable Labyrinth?

just wait until the walls change themselves. or have you already?

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 05:37

Sometimes labyrinths can fake you out- there might be an obvious path that leads to metal, but it could be a dead end. You might have to retreat back to to stone / rock to go around, before you get back to metal again. Remember: the wall type just tells you how close you are to the exit in terms of distance. It doesn't mean you took the right path.

Also, occasionally, labyrinths have the stairs hidden behind a secret door. Have you made sure to search the metal dead ends? (I recommend manually counting out 10 or so 's' presses- mashing 5 is a bad idea, you'll burn through hunger too fast if you're checking every dead end).

For this message the author mageykun has received thanks:
Hybrid

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 09:02

Hybrid wrote:Normally I breeze through labyrinths, but I am having the toughest time with one I've run into in v0.8

Don't exactly know how to describe it, and I doubt screenshots would do much good. I've found the metal walls, but the area just has a bunch of dead ends. And I've tried exploring elsewhere because I know sometimes you need to hit the metal walls from a different angle, but that was no good either.

Has anyone else run into something like this? Is it possible that an unsolvable labyrinth was accidentally added in the trunk version? Or, if you think you know which one I'm talking about and know the trick to it, please share? :|

Normally it's not possible to generate an unsolvable labyrinth. If you have a doubt, you can make a copy of your save file, then activate wizard mode and magic map the labyrinth. You can also upload your save file on mantis and let us do it for you if you don't want to spoil yourself :)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 09:16

I usually knock over labyrinths easily but once I got one that seemed to go on for ever and ever...dead end after dead end. I was starting to worry, and if I hadn't had good food supplies I would have been in trouble. Eventually found the bullman though. It's just the luck of the draw.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 15:23

Hate to hijack this thread, but I'd like to reiterate my frustration at the multiple labyrinth maps that have teleport traps in the final rooms. Now, I find myself having to search hundreds of turns monotonously at each labyrinth end just to make sure I don't get tossed back into the bowels of the maze when I'm just steps from my goal.

More often than not, there are no traps, but about 1/5 of the time, I'll find a few.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 16:23

Now that I think about it, teleportation traps in a Lab is just cruel.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 16:27

Thanks for the advice, all.

All the metal corridors that I found did turn out to be the biggest fake-out I've ever seen, and it was another path that found the exit from a different angle.

(That the minotaur one-hit killed me with a +4 sabre of electrocution is another matter entirely ... good thing I was a Felid, and the teleport landed me pretty close.)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 23:12

minmay wrote:Labyrinths can be reliably solved by following one of many simple exploration algorithms. For example, hug a single wall and run along it until you get to the exit.

How can that be reliable when the walls change?

And if you wind up hugging the wall to the north here, how will you ever find the way out? That "island wall" could be larger and more complexly shaped. Or is the labrynth generating program set up to avoid making "island walls?"
  Code:
#......#>#
#.###..#.#
#.@......#
##########

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 00:55

If you have an island wall, it means that you have a vault of some sort. This is probably the exit, although it could be a fake exit instead. Either way, you should explore it and determine whether it is or is not the correct exit, and then use this information to inform your next choice.

I don't think references to following a maze algorithm were intended to suggest you would ignore the exit if you passed right by it just because it isn't on the part of the wall you're following.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 6th April 2011, 13:38

Here's a screen shot of the labyrinth in my current game in trunk on CAO. It has an island wall to the left and another directly above me that are not near the exit. If you followed either of those walls, you'd go in circles forever. I don't see a reason there couldn't be a more twisty wall that wouldn't obviously be an island.
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-04-06 at 9.30.06 AM.png
labyrinth screen shot
Screen shot 2011-04-06 at 9.30.06 AM.png (10.6 KiB) Viewed 3336 times

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 7th April 2011, 03:11

ya those are translucent walls aren't they?

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice