Defeating invisible doom?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 3rd April 2011, 23:46

Defeating invisible doom?

On one of my characters, A berserker, I ran into a very problematic enemy. It's invisible. not by a spell that it cast, while in my sight anyway, and it is very powerful, knocking about a fifth of my health down per hit, and is fast enough to chase-hit when I attempt to flee. I managed to get to some stairs and away from it for the moment by using the 'call reinforcements' ability, but it's still lurking right on the floor that has the entrance to The Lair.

I tried blind hitting it but I can't seem to land a hit on it when i do manage to guess at it's location, and if I get into a hallway, it will hit and then back away to prevent me from just pressing down to guarantee a hit. I don't have any scrolls that reveal invisible either. Is there any other way to avoid/defeat this monster?

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 3rd April 2011, 23:53

Re: Defeating invisible doom?

Are there scrolls which reveal invisible? I don't think so...

I suppose you could try reading scrolls of immolation.
Or go into a corridor and shoot wands at it until it dies. It doesn't hit THAT hard, put some platemail on.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 3rd April 2011, 23:54

It's probably an unseen horror. It's basically an invisible, tougher bat that flees when wounded. It doesn't seem to go up stairs at least. Since you're not a caster, that reduces some of your options, but try clouds. You can use a scroll of fog, or burn a book on some water I think.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 00:01

You might want to just skip on down to the next dungeon level until you're strong enough to beat it without seeing it or until you have an item of see invisibility.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 00:03

FlyingPants wrote:Are there scrolls which reveal invisible? I don't think so...

I suppose you could try reading scrolls of immolation.
Or go into a corridor and shoot wands at it until it dies. It doesn't hit THAT hard, put some platemail on.

I can't wear armor; playing a troll.

@Tiber: I do have a scroll of fog; didn't know fog can show invisible enemies, thanks.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 00:37

Meh, I just used the learndb; it deserves the credit for that one.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 04:21

It doesn't seem to go up stairs at least.

No, it can go up or down a stair with you. It only happens rarely, as far as I know, because it has to be adjacent to you (which doesn't happen too often) when you're going up or down.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 05:46

ya, like a bat it moves way faster then you and so it hits you then runs away.

However you could trap it between you and another monster in a corridor and beat it up that way.

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 09:25

Like people are saying, corridors Imagine what a bat would be doing, and play that way (one useful thing is CTRL-direction, which causes you to take a swing in a direction without moving). If you're in a wide open level without any, then this may just be one of those times when you can't go any further until you solve the problem with an item that gives See Invisible.

Alternatively, you know roughly where it is now. Might be worth re-entering the level from another set of stairs, and making a break for the Lair entrance?

Unseen Horrors are mean.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 11:12

I'm pretty sure they flee when they're low, so killing them without sInv or trapping them is pretty difficult.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 11:22

I ran into something similar in a vault, iirc a "moon moth" that was invisible AND drained mana on a hit.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 11:25

fnwc wrote:I ran into something similar in a vault, iirc a "moon moth" that was invisible AND drained mana on a hit.

Ghost Moth! They're the reason I don't go into spiders nests without sInv anymore. They're an absolute nightmare if you're playing a caster even with sInv if they catch you with other stuff.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 11:43

I think actually "moon moth" is a far better name that ghost moth. Anyone remember the creepy "moon dwellers" in magic carpet?
Crazy Yiuf mutters: "Good: bonuses. Bad: Boni. Ugly: Bonii!"

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 14:05

It's safe to go into a Spider Nest, even if you aren't sure you can take down a Ghost Moth. Just look at the type of the Nest; if it's a big empty space the moment you're in (no scorpions), you better run because the invisible bastard is around.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 14:27

Wait, I'm a bit confused. From my experiences, "Spider's Nest" is a temporary portal (like Bailey). But when I tried it in Wizmode, I found this multiple-level "Spider's Nest". What is that?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 14:33

Unseen horrors walk, so if there's shallow water on the level, stay near it and watch for the disturbance that it creates in the water. That would not help with ghost moths, though.

Casters with Confuse or Mephitic can have even more fun with this if there's deep water nearby too...
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 14:58

pratamawirya wrote:Wait, I'm a bit confused. From my experiences, "Spider's Nest" is a temporary portal (like Bailey). But when I tried it in Wizmode, I found this multiple-level "Spider's Nest". What is that?

It's the spider nest branch. The entry isn't generated because the branch is not ready. So for now, it's just a portal vault, but ultimately, it might evolve into a branch.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 15:30

galdon wrote:I can't wear armor; playing a troll.

You can't wear an inflexible armor, you mean. Don't forget that some of the dragon armors give very nice AC. (You can get them normally or by using Enchant Armour on a hide; you can get a hide by butchering the appropriate kind of dragon corpse.) Of course with no Armour skill you still may not be effective enough while wearing a heavy dragon armor to really take on that unseen horror.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 21:16

erisdiscordia wrote:
galdon wrote:I can't wear armor; playing a troll.

You can't wear an inflexible armor, you mean. Don't forget that some of the dragon armors give very nice AC. (You can get them normally or by using Enchant Armour on a hide; you can get a hide by butchering the appropriate kind of dragon corpse.) Of course with no Armour skill you still may not be effective enough while wearing a heavy dragon armor to really take on that unseen horror.

Yeah, I haven't found any dragon armor yet; I'm still wearing a +1 robe because I can't seem to locate any armor I can fit into.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 21:59

How I kill unseen horrors without SInv is:
I look for another enemy snoogun, and walk back into a corridor shouting (pressing tt). The unseen horror is faster so usually jumps in front of the other enemies and soon you'll have the unseen horror trapped between you and the random snoogun. Now it is trapped and you can hack at it until you get those nice 760xp.

Alternately, shooting wand charges down a very long hallway works sometimes.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 6th April 2011, 01:04

Katak wrote:How I kill unseen horrors without SInv is:
I look for another enemy snoogun, and walk back into a corridor shouting (pressing tt). The unseen horror is faster so usually jumps in front of the other enemies and soon you'll have the unseen horror trapped between you and the random snoogun. Now it is trapped and you can hack at it until you get those nice 760xp.

Alternately, shooting wand charges down a very long hallway works sometimes.

Without SInv I always 'go do something else'. I've lost too many promising characters to unseen horrors. At this point I'll teleport or blink out of dodge, and come back when I have SInv. Though the monster sandwich trick is neat.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice