Invisibility?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 3rd April 2011, 03:01

Invisibility?

How exactly does this work?

It appears that anything that didn't see me go invisible, isn't in melee range, and doesn't have see invisible can't see me. If I'm attacking an enemy that didn't see me go invisible, etc. will it fight back? How effective will its attacks be? I'm a bit confused on what being invisible really means. Also what about sounds? If I shout while invisible will enemies suddenly notice me?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 14:22

Re: Invisibility?

Monsters can fight back the same way players can fight against invisible opponents: they can flail about randomly and hope they hit something.

I don't know if there's an explicit penalty to attacking an invisible target (latest source I have easily at hand is 0.6), but if there is one, it's symmetrical -- it affects players and monsters equally. So however well *you* fight against an invisible monster is how well monsters will fight you.

Sounds are a giveaway of your position, but not a precise one. Launching ranged attacks is a huge giveaway of your position, as they can follow the projectile back to its source as well as a player can.

Also remember that monsters have two levels of invisibility detection: "sense" and "see". "See" is just like the player. "Sense" means they have a better chance of guessing where you are, but they still can't aim directly at you.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

For this message the author Stormfox has received thanks:
Francis

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 14:28

The thing you need to know about invisibility is that it gives a huge stealth bonus. Also, if the opponent doesn't have see/sense invisible, all attacks upon them will have a chance for opportunistic stabbing.

Also, it's great against ranged users. They will miss a lot more than melee users.

But it sucks as an escape spell. They're likely to walk right after you until it wears off, even if you're stealthy. People say it makes a difference whether you blink when invisible, or avoid urning invisible when they can see you. I have noticed very little difference from that.
Crazy Yiuf mutters: "Good: bonuses. Bad: Boni. Ugly: Bonii!"

For this message the author vintermann has received thanks:
Francis

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 14:38

Thanks. I didn't realize ranged attacks gave away your position.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 15:17

Stormfox wrote:I don't know if there's an explicit penalty to attacking an invisible target (latest source I have easily at hand is 0.6), but if there is one, it's symmetrical -- it affects players and monsters equally. So however well *you* fight against an invisible monster is how well monsters will fight you.

There's very little player/monster symmetry in crawl. And invisibility is not one of them. Player gets -6 to hit, and monsters get 65% of their hit roll.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks: 2
Francis, Stormfox

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 18:48

Stormfox wrote:Also remember that monsters have two levels of invisibility detection: "sense" and "see". "See" is just like the player. "Sense" means they have a better chance of guessing where you are, but they still can't aim directly at you.

On the other hand sense invisible creatures get a bonus to notice there is something amiss and wake up. Most of the sense invisible creatures seem to be beasts or melee users anyway.

For this message the author LunarHarp has received thanks:
Francis

zrn

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 20:22

Stormfox wrote:Launching ranged attacks is a huge giveaway of your position, as they can follow the projectile back to its source as well as a player can.

Is there a way to make enemy projectiles more noticeable? When playing console, it seems like the line is only on screen for a millisecond. Is there an option to make it stay on screen for longer? I would prefer to avoid having to clear a --more-- every time a kobold throws a dart at me, but even having to do that would be great to be able to see where that orc wizard is throwing those bolts of fire from.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 21:46

zrn wrote:
Stormfox wrote:Launching ranged attacks is a huge giveaway of your position, as they can follow the projectile back to its source as well as a player can.

Is there a way to make enemy projectiles more noticeable? When playing console, it seems like the line is only on screen for a millisecond. Is there an option to make it stay on screen for longer? I would prefer to avoid having to clear a --more-- every time a kobold throws a dart at me, but even having to do that would be great to be able to see where that orc wizard is throwing those bolts of fire from.

Oh yes, that would be great -- a grey shadow of the ranged attack on the tiles that disappears after a couple of turns would be very nice. Or perhaps an outline of the invis'd wizard similar to shadows for a turn or two after a ranged attack.

For this message the author ohmi has received thanks:
zrn

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice