Is there any alignment list for spells?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 22:10

Is there any alignment list for spells?

I read that certain gods find using 'evil' spells to be.. objectionable. Unfortunately, I searched the wiki, and spell lists and can not find any reference to what spells count as evil. One of my characters that has somehow not died horribly is a summoner, and I would like to get the god of healing to heal my summoned minions during battle. Unfortunately, I do not know if summoning counts as an evil magic.

Is there any reference available that lists what spells match what alignment?

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 22:18

Re: Is there any alignment list for spells?

Well, anything of the necromancy school is considered evil right off the bat. Some summoning spells are dual classed as summon/necro, so watch for those. The demonic summing spells might count too.

You can check descriptions too- if your god disproves of the use of a spell, weapon, item, etc, it will say so right at the end of the description (ie, "<God> disproves of the use of this <foo>"). This covers exclusions beyond just the good gods (Elly, Zin, and TSO) hating evil items, but covers Trog's disapproval of spellbooks, and Chei's dislike of haste or speed.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 22:57

Will the spells say what deities disapprove of them at all times, or only if you currently worship that deity?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 22:59

All 3 good gods hate necromancy and anything involving demons, but TSO hates poison on top of that. So what TSO hates is not necessarily what the other 2 hate.

Also, Ely and summoners is a double-edged sword, since letting allies die lowers your piety.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 23:07

^Oooh, forgot about that. Yeah, summoners shouldn't go Elly. Or Oka.

"The shining one frowns upon the use of this spell" only appears on necromancy spells if you worship TSO, etc. Beforehand you have to guess from the god's flavor.

Also, anything your god dislikes tends to get recolored red, at least in tiles (in the spell list, item list, etc). It won't recolor abilities though- (for instance, once I had a paladin that got the spit poison mutation, and it didn't come with a warning, despite TSO hating poison).

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 18:37

I know TSO hates the demonic summoning spells. So in addition to the necromancy spells, TSO doesn't like shadow creatures, summon demon, summon greater demon, or summon horrible things.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 11:31

I wish it was possible to play a good summoner. TSO and Zin are possible, but not very practical. Ely would be awesome, but it just isn't practical due to the piety hit of allies dying.
Crazy Yiuf mutters: "Good: bonuses. Bad: Boni. Ugly: Bonii!"

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 12th April 2011, 21:06

vintermann wrote:I wish it was possible to play a good summoner. TSO and Zin are possible, but not very practical. Ely would be awesome, but it just isn't practical due to the piety hit of allies dying.

Summon Hydra and Dragon in trunk did help with this. Good summoners are pretty viable, although without haunt and horrible things not the best. TSO summoners have potential as you can summon support for your angels. In other words, the more allies you have the less enemies will attack your awesome (and costly) angels as they rampage about.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice