How do you deal with Thorn Hunters?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 20th May 2014, 05:00

How do you deal with Thorn Hunters?

I've been having trouble with Thorn Hunters on characters of mine which make it to the Swamp. (specifically SpEns) Their long range attack cuts off large chunks of my HP, and the fact they're MR Immune means I can't use Hexes. Briar Patches normally don't disrupt my escape routes but occasionally prevent me from getting in on them. Normally I run away as soon as a I see them, is there a more permanent way to handle these?
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th May 2014, 05:34

Re: How do you deal with Thorn Hunters?

Shadow Creatures?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th May 2014, 06:06

Fire?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 20th May 2014, 06:21

reaver wrote:I've been having trouble with Thorn Hunters on characters of mine which make it to the Swamp. (specifically SpEns) Their long range attack cuts off large chunks of my HP, and the fact they're MR Immune means I can't use Hexes. Briar Patches normally don't disrupt my escape routes but occasionally prevent me from getting in on them. Normally I run away as soon as a I see them, is there a more permanent way to handle these?

They die to aoe (I believe; its been a while since I killed one), and melee and ranged. Though I will say they are quite dangerous and your best bet might be to just run away. That is usually my first consideration when I am facing them.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 20th May 2014, 10:30

Yes, suggestions of things that make allies and things that make fire are both good, and I'd add to that probably one of the simplest things you can use for hex-immune enemies : NETS. Spriggans can throw nets now, and if you wait until you're adjacent or nearly so, you'll have little trouble moving in for a stab. Even before they could throw nets, Sp could use nets while adjacent to an enemy, and they were still very handy for stabbing things as powerful as ancient liches and greater mummies.

For allies, consider maybe 5 necromancy and learning animate dead or even animate skeleton; it's possibly to make an undead mini-army that you can take along most of the level. Even if allies don't kill the thorn hunter quickly enough, if they can distract it for even one or two turns while you're within a few spaces of the hunter, you can move in to stab. Shadow creatures is excellent in swamp and requires maybe 8-10 summons (or less, depending on !brilliance or Ashenzari) to use effectively. Mana viper is a nice anti-magic option that also sense invisible and move fast, and would require even less (possibly 0) summons, assuming you have hexes trained.

To use e.g. fire effectively, just make sure you have 10 evocations or more before taking on a lair branch. A lamp of fire is probably most ideal thing since it makes bolts of fire that leave flame clouds and creates flame elementals. The steam clouds blocking LOS are the only thing you have to be careful about. Even the allies from the fan , the phial, or (arguably) the stone of tremors can be enough to get a distract-stab, and you only start to get those allies with reasonable evocations.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th May 2014, 11:53

Does Throwing skill affect the use of nets (and if it does, how)?
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 20th May 2014, 12:23

Netstab, summons/allies with or without distract stab, melee with spectral weapon, evocations, flee on sight

Sprucery wrote:Does Throwing skill affect the use of nets (and if it does, how)?

If it does it isn't noticeable
remove food

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 20th May 2014, 12:39

Sprucery wrote:Does Throwing skill affect the use of nets (and if it does, how)?

Throwing skill improves your accuracy with thrown projectiles, including nets. In Trunk Fighting skill does too.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 2
Sprucery, zxc23

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th May 2014, 13:50

gammafunk wrote:A lamp of fire is probably most ideal thing since it makes bolts of fire that leave flame clouds and creates flame elementals.
Fire elementals aren't very good in swamp imo since they can't move through water (and will fail to appear entirely if the lamp tries to summon one over water). I guess the bolts and flame clouds still work if you have abnormally high evocations.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 20th May 2014, 14:35

duvessa wrote:
gammafunk wrote:A lamp of fire is probably most ideal thing since it makes bolts of fire that leave flame clouds and creates flame elementals.
Fire elementals aren't very good in swamp imo since they can't move through water (and will fail to appear entirely if the lamp tries to summon one over water). I guess the bolts and flame clouds still work if you have abnormally high evocations.

If it's used at relatively close range so that you can control the terrain a bit (e.g. after fog), you could certainly get good results (I have, at least). Thorn hunters are vulnerable to fire, so it doesn't take terribly many turns of walking through flame clouds or af_fire melee to take one down. You could probably get good results with conjure flame, although I haven't tried that. Anyways, yeah if you're not really able to lure the thorn hunter to a significant patch of land, the lamp is not great.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 20th May 2014, 17:41

I happened to have summon mana viper on my most recent char and managed to kill the thor Hunter nicely. Died later because I didn't realize Raven were speed 20 (and more general bad tactics).
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice