"Sif Muna dislikes it when you destroy spellbooks"

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 13:58

"Sif Muna dislikes it when you destroy spellbooks"

I just saw this in the extended description for Sif. Short of worshipping Trog, how is destroying spellbooks even possible?

(0.8.)

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 14:06

Re: "Sif Muna dislikes it when you destroy spellbooks"

Reading a spell description of a spell you know already will give you an option to forget it. Forgetting spells this way destroys the book. However, as a Munite, you have Selective Amnesia and will never need to use book-forget. Seems a little silly as a conduct, but it's ok for flavour, I guess.
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 14:32

Does Sif's ability still have a piety cost attached to it? If so then I guess it's to stop people avoiding the piety loss by using the book-forget method. I only used the ability once in 0.7 but IIRC it took a decent amount of piety. But I haven't messed with forgetting spells in trunk yet, so I don't know exactly how it works.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 15:04

You can also throw them into lava. It's mainly for flavour though, yeah.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 16:09

Amusingly, about 3 1/2 hours later I discovered the answer on my own, when to avoid boringly watch my daughter play Barbie flash games, I offered to lead her through the Crawl tutorial instead. (Spell forgetting is discussed in the Spells lesson! :D)

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 16:34

Hi Erik!

Crawl >> barbie flash games :)

The SA spell is gone because it made for a very conservative pre-SA period and a trivial post-SA one. In other words, the existence of the spell turned the potentially interesting spell slot resource into nothingness. (In particular, Sif's SA ability was quite pointless, especially since she would give the book anyway.)

For 0.8, the spell is gone, but there is a spell and you can forget a spell if you sacrifice a book which contains that spell (think of this as tearing out the page containing the spell). Sif's ability still exists. This should allow for a more interesting spell slot minigame. I feel there is currently an overabundance of possibilities, so players don't have to choose very much, but we have a number of screws to use: (a) generation chances of the scroll, (b) spell book generation rates, (c) piety cost for Sif.

Great to see you around again!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 16:41

Daydreamer wrote:Does Sif's ability still have a piety cost attached to it? If so then I guess it's to stop people avoiding the piety loss by using the book-forget method. I only used the ability once in 0.7 but IIRC it took a decent amount of piety. But I haven't messed with forgetting spells in trunk yet, so I don't know exactly how it works.

Honestly, if you find yourself running out of piety with Sif, something is very, very wrong.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 16:50

Tiber wrote:If you find yourself running out of piety with Sif, something is very, very wrong.

An obvious idea is to make Sif SA more expensive with each use. But before any of that, we'll think about an actual library...

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 19:16

Just so it's clear: forgetting a spell via book destruction works like this. Read a book that contains the spell you want to forget with the r command. Then select the spell to read the description. You will see an option F to forget the spell. If you select it, you will forget the spell and destroy the book.

Do not do this if you worship Sif Muna. She will get pissed and you will suffer penance.

Sif Muna's "forget spell" power is a viable alternative to burning books. If you are near max piety, you can forget a spell without losing any *'s.

Of course the scrolls are still the best option.

(Btw, I've been playing 0.8 spellcasters for awhile now and so far, I think the Amnesia scrolls drops seem to be about right. You have to be more careful with your spell choices than in 0.7, but there are enough scrolls to allow you to learn a handful of mediocre spells if needed to survive the early game.)

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 19:27

dpeg wrote:I feel there is currently an overabundance of possibilities

It wouldn't be you if you didn't! :D

I've known about the wish to remove the spell for ages. Frankly, with me always being worried about the game being made too hard (it wouldn't be me if I didn't), what I see on quick inspection is things having turned out considerably better than I expected -- I was fearing there'd be nothing left than the scrolls. But it's not just the the "easierness" that I like, I very much like, again just at first glance, the mechanic -- books themselves become more interesting, for one thing.

I'm surprised nobody's noted yet here that the end of SA as a must-have spell is tantamount to giving every late-game spellcaster 4 free spell levels. Yay!

A side note: as piddling as it probably seems to almost anyone who might read this, I am absolutely *thrilled* to see the demise of scrolls of paper. :-))) My deepest thanks to whomever championed that.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice