Anti-magic brand

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 1st April 2011, 18:23

Anti-magic brand

Is the anti-magic brand worth it? Specifically, I'm in the Elven Halls, where everyone and their dog is a spellcaster, and I'm wondering whether I should bother with my +6,+9 antimagic quickblade, or stick to my -1,+4 quickblade of electrocution, which the Weapon Lab spreadsheet says does more damage on average...?

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 1st April 2011, 18:31

Re: Anti-magic brand

In my very inexperienced opinion, I doubt that you'd need an extra attack to finish off any given opponent, and you'll discombobulate those f*cking summoners, so go with the antimagic.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 1st April 2011, 18:43

Henzell's learndb wrote: antimagic
A weapon brand added in 0.8 trunk. Dealing damage with it sometimes makes monsters lose a turn when they try to cast spells. Wielding it reduces max mp by around 2/3, getting hit by it depletes mp. Works on everything that has spells, including demons, orbs of fire, electric golems, etc.
Miscast chance for monsters increases based on damage dealt (with the weapon), decreasing every turn. This means it's best on weapons with high base damage.

This means that this is good 1-1 for summoners and annihilators and those who do the most damage by spells, but bad for super-archers and swordmasters, who will ignore your antimagic brand and poke/slice you anyway. You shouldn't fight groups of the powerful E:5 elves in any case.
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 1st April 2011, 20:01

Electrocution is definitely more powerful, especially on a quickblade. But the antimagic will probably be a great benefit at the end vault, because electrocution will wake up the entire vault, and that would be nasty. Though in either case, you probably want to deal with the annihilators at range anyway.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 1st April 2011, 20:40

I am very jealous that you have a qb of electrocution, imo that's quite possibly the best weapon in the game.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 1st April 2011, 23:12

danr wrote:I am very jealous that you have a qb of electrocution, imo that's quite possibly the best weapon in the game.

Nah, demon whip of speed is the best weapon in the game.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 00:03

acvar wrote:
danr wrote:I am very jealous that you have a qb of electrocution, imo that's quite possibly the best weapon in the game.

According to the AWESOME SPREADSHEET a qb of pain become better than a demon whip of speed at necromancy 16+ (all else maxed). But it's not as strong in the endgame of course.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 00:12

Don't forget quick blades get better stabs than demon whips, and you can make them twice as effective easy with sure blade, a mere level 2 enchantment. They win in my book.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 06:23

It's also a randart:

the -1,+4 quick blade "Natut" (weapon) {god gift, elec, +Blink Str+1 Stlth++}

It so far seems to be making this particular game a candidate for my first ever win. So obviously I am about to die YASD in about 10 turns, and have taken to playing for about 5 minutes before getting scared that I am losing concentration, and having to go shakily outside for some rest and recuperation.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 08:11

acvar wrote:

Lies. Katana of anything is the best weapon in the game, because whenever I get one I'm continually impressed by how cool it looks; this causes me to play better, because I don't want to lose it.

For this message the author roguelikedev has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 08:41

Speed brand got nerfed lately. You guys know that, don't you? :)

Katana of anything is the best weapon in the game, because whenever I get one I'm continually impressed by how cool it looks; this causes me to play better, because I don't want to lose it.

This is some real wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 12:49

minmay wrote:I'd much rather use a demon whip of speed than a quick blade of electrocution or pain. Most of the really dangerous stuff is immune to both of the latter's brand effects, and quick blades aren't very good against stuff with high AC if you don't have slaying.

In the case that you can't get speed what brand would you like for the late game on a demon whip?

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 13:04

minmay wrote:Freezing or vampiric if I have poor Necromancy skill (the latter only if I have a way of dealing with a blunt vampiric weapon - Animate Skeleton, being a mummy, whatver). I'd still use pain if I had high Necromancy, as pain-immune stuff tends to be immune to vampiric and freezing anyway (also every other brand except holy wrath).

In the extended game, holy wrath, but you can't technically get that on a demon whip - only a holy scourge, which is better anyway.

Why do you prefer freezing over flaming? What are your opinions on reaching?

I always love the angel vault with the alter. Great source for a scourge, just got to find a wand of digging.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 17:37

pratamawirya wrote:Speed brand got nerfed lately. You guys know that, don't you? :)

I found out about this the very first time I ever found Arga. After three years of playing this damn game-- here's your mithril axe, enjoy throwing it into a lake out of frustration. GG Crawl.

On a less self-pitying note, I'm a big fan of this change. I've always hated speed weapons, they play like glorified weapons of protection; you have to pound the directional button many more times to actually kill something, but take less damage in the process. Now I have a good excuse to ignore them.

For this message the author roguelikedev has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice