Searching for items

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 10th May 2014, 19:23

Searching for items

I tried to search for this, but ampersands are troublesome. What is the syntax for searching for all magical variants of an item, such as all enchanted bucklers or all enchanted short swords? I've seen it in the past and I think it had two ampersands, but the exact usage escapes me. Thanks to anyone that answers.
Current foes list: duvessa, TheDefiniteArticle

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 10th May 2014, 19:24

Re: Searching for items

ego.*buckler

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
skjarl

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 10th May 2014, 19:38

Or "ego && buckler" or "ego && shield" the "&&" means "and" (As in both things need to match) 'ego' is a special term that matches anything that's glowing, runed, and all brands (armour and weapon brands).

Note "ego" doesn't match artifacts, you can match those with "artifact"

.* means "match terms with anything inbetween" "ego.*buckler" matches any ego, followed by any stuff followed by the word buckler' (If somehow a ego term would occur after the word 'buckler' that match wouldn't work, but it can't)

"Shield" matches all shields (buckler, large shield, and shield)

"weapon" matches any weapon, "body" matches any body armour, "helm" matches any helmet, hat or cap, 'boots' and 'cloak' work as you'd expect

You can search for things in specific branches or levels with the abbreviation that shows up in find results (for Example you can search for "D:5 && cloak" to find all cloaks on Dungeon:5, Obviously searching for "D" by itself isn't so hot, but searching for "D:" will find you things in the main dungeon, "Lair:", "Elf:", "Orc:" all work well (note that things purchasable in shops will show prices and you can use the controls at the top to add it to your "$" shopping list directly from find.)

Searching for "shop" will find all items in shops

You can use parentheses to encompass several terms you want to treat as one search term separated by | so for example "(artifact|ego) && cloak" will find all artifact or ego cloaks.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 3
Lasty, mopl, skjarl

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 10th May 2014, 19:44

Thanks, Siegurt. I didn't realize it used standard wildcards/pattern matching syntax. Of course, if I had noticed that I could hit '?' in the game and have all this explained to me, I wouldn't feel like a dumbass right now. Ugh. Anyway, thanks for the info.
Current foes list: duvessa, TheDefiniteArticle

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 10th May 2014, 22:19

Indeed, "it uses standard Regex syntax, with space-separated &&/|| conditionals available at the base scope" might be sufficient explanation for a certain subset of people

Unparenthesized " && " and " || " can be used to paste several regexes together, however they mean something different when inside parentheses, it's too bad that you can't use parentheses (or space-delineated paretheses) at the base scope, as " || " always has lower precedence than " && " however using alternation "|" in parentheses is a sufficient substitute when you want an "or" to evaluate first (as in my example above) However, it's completely understandable, as parentheses at the conditional level would conflict with passing them to the regexes (and inside the regex itself, paretheses have much more utility)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 13th May 2014, 09:34

Siegurt wrote:for example "(artifact|ego) && cloak" will find all artifact or ego cloaks.
You mean that artifacts are usually notfound by the "ego" search ?
Should we get a single term for both of them ?

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 13th May 2014, 09:50

tompliss wrote:
Siegurt wrote:for example "(artifact|ego) && cloak" will find all artifact or ego cloaks.
You mean that artifacts are usually notfound by the "ego" search ?
Should we get a single term for both of them ?
tl;dr ??
Siegurt wrote:Note "ego" doesn't match artifacts, you can match those with "artifact"
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice