about my armors

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

sau

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 30th April 2014, 16:46

about my armors

sau the Severer (Formicid Fighter) Turns: 26597, Time: 02:37:53

HP 126/134 AC 31 Str 42 XL: 16 Next: 81%
MP 22/22 EV 12 Int 24 God: Cheibriados [******]
Gold 770 SH 35 Dex 25 Spells: 0 memorised, 15 levels left

rFire . . . SeeInvis + D - +5,-1 broad axe (freeze)
rCold . . . Clarity . i - +1 crystal plate armour
rNeg . . . Conserve . k - +0 shield {reflect}
rPois . rCorr . (helmet unavailable)
rElec . rRot . X - +2 cloak {MR+}
SustAb . . Spirit + M - +0 pair of gloves
rMut . Warding . u - +1 pair of boots of Trog's Scorn {Acc+2 Dam-4}
Saprov . . . Stasis + J - amulet of guardian spirit
MR ++... P - +3 ring of evasion
C - +0,+5 ring of slaying

Skills:
+ Level 14.5 Fighting
* Level 17.3 Axes
+ Level 12.6 Armour
+ Level 4.9 Dodging
+ Level 15.4 Shields
- Level 0.2 Evocations

this is my current state. I wonder that should upgrade crystal plate or wait for the golden dragon skin. And I didn't ever know reflecting shield is wonderful. Is there large shield of reflation? or just keep upgrade the one which I'm using now.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th April 2014, 16:55

Re: about my armors

Enchant CPA, you were very lucky to find it. Don't train Shields above 15 unless you have weapon/armour/fighting at 25 or so.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
sau

sau

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 30th April 2014, 16:59

oh, didn't know that. thanks.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th April 2014, 17:17

Some of your other item choices are questionable - those boots have -4 dam, and that hurts quite a bit. The slaying ring offsets that, but you'd be better off with plain +0 boots imho. More importantly a broad axe isn't a very good weapon, especially at -1 dam, and you should look for something better. Axes generally don't pair well with shields, If you want to go shields, you generally want to use a 1h demon weapon, BUT you're a formicid, so the normal rules don't apply. You should get a battleaxe and a shield. Battleaxes are common and there's a very, very high chance one has already spawned: type ctrl+f and enter 'axe' to find all axes that have dropped. If there's too many, battleaxe will return only battleaxes. If you happen to have an executioner axe, then use that instead, aside from brands/enchantment, they are stronger. A +0+0 battleaxe will be a big improvement over the broad axe. You need 20 skill for min delay on battle axes, which you're pretty close to. If you did find an executioner's axe, you'd need 26 skill for min delay on that (it's worth it in the end though).

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
sau

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th April 2014, 17:22

Actually I am not sure if a +0 battleaxe would be an improvement over -1 freezing axe (I don't know for sure, though). Agree on boots, though.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 30th April 2014, 17:30

Hi Sau,

Crystal platemail is in many cases better than gold dragon armour. You may as well stick with it.

I know you didn't ask, but I have a few other suggestions:
* The axe you are wielding is fairly bad; as a formicid, one benefit you have is being able to wield two-handed weapons in one hand, so you can pick up any battleaxe (ideally a branded one, but whatever), and enchant it to at least +4 damage.
* Reflection is one of the worst possible brands for a shield due to the severe restrictions on the conditions under which it does anything at all. If you have another branded shield available, you should consider using it instead.
* Your boots are worse than not wearing boots due to their large penalty to damage. Take them off and ideally replace them with some different boots.
* Now that your shields skill is > 15, you've eliminated penalties associated with both normal and large shields for a formicid, so you can stop training Shields forever.
* The benefits of worshipping Chei are primarily the powerful invocations he has; it looks like you haven't trained Invocations at all, which means you can't take advantage of them. Getting 15 Invocations will allow you access to powerful AOE offense and life-saving abilities like Step From Time. If you don't train Invocations, Chei is almost entirely a penalty. Once you do get these abilities working, keep in mind that your amulet of guardian spirit can drain your mana right when you need mana for life-saving abilities the most: when you are taking heavy damage.
* Given how heavy your armor is, you should stop training Dodging until you get your Armor skill to about 20.

Edit: Sar, keep in mind that his damage is being multiplied by CheiStats, making base damage more important than usual.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 4
duvessa, nago, Sar, sau

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th April 2014, 17:33

Lasty wrote:Now that your shields skill is > 15, you've eliminated penalties associated with both normal and large shields for a formicid, so you can stop training Shields forever

Does it apply to both 0.14 and trunk?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th April 2014, 17:37

Oh right, I guess, I'm not really used to even consider stats when it comes to melee damage that isn't forms.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 30th April 2014, 17:45

Sandman25, it was added in 0.14. (0.14-a0-3273-g9a20582)

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks:
Sandman25

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice