Trove question

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 23:50

Trove question

Do troves pick their items with consideration of the value of said items to the player? For instance, can their entry fee be healing potions if you are a vine stalker or potions of curing if you are a mummy? Currently I collect valuable items like that even if I can't use them, just in case. I want to know if I'm wasting my time.
Current foes list: duvessa, TheDefiniteArticle

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 23:59

Re: Trove question

Troves pick its cost completely at the whim of Xom from what I can tell. I've had games where it wanted 11 scrolls of identify, the horn of Geryon, or 3 potions of curing.
3 rune: MiBe, MiGl, OgHu
5: VSWn
8: DgSk
15: MiMo, DsAr

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 00:08

Troves don't care what character you have, but there's no reason to bother collecting the items in advance. Ctrl+F will find you whatever the trove wants, wherever in the whole game it exists. It will take less than sixty seconds real-time to gather whatever it was that you needed, and it's less likely to burn or freeze the last item you need for the trove in the process.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 00:11

I grab these items while it's convenient (i.e. I am standing on them) and dump them in my stash. It saves me food, piety, and time. I'll risk a little item destruction for that. Thanks for letting me know about its lack of correlation with my character, though.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 00:12

Troves won't ask Mummies for potions or Felids for weapons/armour (the enchanted dragon armour/demon weapon fees specifically - expensive shop items are still fair game). They can currently ask Vine Stalkers for curing/heal wounds, though (and Formicids for hasting/blinking/teleportation, etc).

For this message the author Kate has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, GlassGo, skjarl

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 00:13

I was hoping someone would know so I didn't have to source dive for the answer. Thanks, Marvin.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 01:43

MarvinPA wrote:Troves won't ask Mummies for potions or Felids for weapons/armour (the enchanted dragon armour/demon weapon fees specifically - expensive shop items are still fair game). They can currently ask Vine Stalkers for curing/heal wounds, though (and Formicids for hasting/blinking/teleportation, etc).

Oh, thank you for the correction. I never actually source-dived it, so I suppose I should have just kept my mouth shut.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice