Rapid hungering

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 18th April 2014, 14:45

Rapid hungering

I'm playing as a MiFi and I noticed that I'm getting hungry pretty fast, as in having to eat food much more often than in other playthroughs.
I mostly feed on chunks so my first thought was that i might have mutated and become more of a herbivore, because maybe raw meat doesn't provide as much nutrition anymore, but when i right clicked on my character I didn't find anything suspicious. I suspected that it might have been my vampiric battleaxe, but I never even wielded it and after i dropped it my hunger issue continued. I would post my character file but don't know how.
Does anyone know where this might come from?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 18th April 2014, 15:30

Re: Rapid hungering

Might be from a lot of resting, but regardless, you should wield the vamp battleaxe, hunger cost is a minor drawback compared to the utility of Vamp.
remove food

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 18th April 2014, 15:42

Got a ring of regen on? That'll make you hungry faster when it heals you (it's worth it)
Vamp weapons only make you hungry on initial wield, not for carrying them. By the way why aren't you using it? Vamp battleaxe is an awesome weapon.

I have to assume you're not casting spells, or evoking rods, but that would make you hungry.
You mention no herbivore mutation, but fast metabolism would make you get hungry faster.
If it's none of those things, it may just be your imagination.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 18th April 2014, 15:48

By the way why aren't you using it? Vamp battleaxe is an awesome weapon.

Trog gifted me a +4 +6 demon whip of electrocution and I already had skill in M&F and no skill in axes yet, so, is a demonic whip better?

I definitely don't have a ring of regeneration on, but now that I found it I'm considering wearing it although the crawlwiki says it will increase my metabolism and I'm not sure that I want mine sped up even more.
btw. how do you post your player file and where is it located on the computer?

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 18th April 2014, 16:25

Both nice weapons :)
If you choose vampaxe, you should get crosstraining for axes though, so at least the M&F wasn't for nothing.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 18th April 2014, 16:37

It's in the 'morgue' directory, it'll be a text file with your characters name, assuming you're playing offline.

If you're playing online, ignore my answer and wait for a relevant one.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 18th April 2014, 16:57

If you're already skilled in maces just stick with the elec demon whip, then, when you mentioned a battleaxe I had assumed you had invested in axes.
remove food

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th April 2014, 17:01

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Roflmaster/Roflmaster.txt

Edit. That would be for online game, I guess you are playing offline now.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 18th April 2014, 17:02

From looking at the morgue, looks like it's just his imagination. Have you been playing a lot of spriggans Roflmaster?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 18th April 2014, 21:24

Important fact: If you eat permafood while full or more full, and it takes you to engorged, you have potentially wasted up to 4000 nutrition units (worst case is being just barely below engorged and eating a ration -> 1000 added, 4000 wasted).

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks:
tedric

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 19th April 2014, 20:09

I've neve been playing spriggans, I almost only played with Minotaurs so I know their hungering rate. I stuck to the demon whip and it turned out to be the best weapon I have ever had :D
I also uploaded my morgue file so I hope that someone can uncover the cause of it.
Unfortunately i had YASD when i berserked into Mennas instead of fleeing :/
Attachments
morgue-Lovro-20140419-212819.txt
(21.65 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 21st April 2014, 17:46

Nothing in your file suggests increased hunger. You had an unworn ring of regeneration - if you were wearing that, and not at full life, that will increase your hunger.

The other alternative is that you had a fast, less powerful per hit (still a very powerful per time) weapon. If you take more strikes to kill something, that will cost more food. Base hunger is 3 per turn, and if you attacked in melee, you get another +3. So extra melee attacks could add up over time, but really it's pretty hard to notice this.

Eat a few more chunks and try not to worry about it :)

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
Roflmaster

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 13:25

Wait, have you played a lot of berserkers? Because berserk has a pretty extreme hunger cost, so maybe that's what you're noticing?

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 13:32

damiac wrote:Wait, have you played a lot of berserkers? Because berserk has a pretty extreme hunger cost, so maybe that's what you're noticing?

Nice!

I guess nobody thought about that because it is a MiFi, not a MiBe.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 08:41

tasonir wrote:The other alternative is that you had a fast, less powerful per hit (still a very powerful per time) weapon. If you take more strikes to kill something, that will cost more food. Base hunger is 3 per turn, and if you attacked in melee, you get another +3. So extra melee attacks could add up over time, but really it's pretty hard to notice this.

Eat a few more chunks and try not to worry about it :)

Yes, I think that's the answer :D Because I have a demon whip which attacks really fast therefore spending me more time and making me hungry faster.
As for the chunks, I'd love to eat them but when I kill something it doesn't always give me an edible chunk because it is either undead, it has mutagenic properties or the like. So for me edible chunks were harder and harder to get by.

Magipi wrote:
damiac wrote:Wait, have you played a lot of berserkers? Because berserk has a pretty extreme hunger cost, so maybe that's what you're noticing?

Nice!

I guess nobody thought about that because it is a MiFi, not a MiBe.

I'm a Trog follower so I'm basically a berserker but I do know the hunger costs of berserking so I'm pretty sure that it's actually my speedy demon whip.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice