playing MuWz

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 13th April 2014, 00:01

playing MuWz

First game, die to the very first enemy i see: a hobgoblin. 0 points.

Next game, open the door to a welcome party of bat, goblin, kobold, and hobgoblin. luckily there is a shaft right next to the upstaircase, so I take it. I'm at dlvl 2 with 0% exp.
i manage to kill a bat, but an adder spots me while i'm at it. 3 points.

Mummies are fun!
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 13th April 2014, 00:33

Re: playing MuWz

Lyrick wrote:First game, die to the very first enemy i see: a hobgoblin. 0 points.

Next game, open the door to a welcome party of bat, goblin, kobold, and hobgoblin. luckily there is a shaft right next to the upstaircase, so I take it. I'm at dlvl 2 with 0% exp.

Mummies are fun!

Challenge Races are challenging yep. There is probably a whole secret ritual someone can perform to propitiate the RNG but generally speaking I'd expect to die an awful lot playing mummies. They are balanced only in the sense that you have to work really hard to make them viable and then it is a matter of luck still I think. OTOH I hear they are good late game... :)

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 13th April 2014, 01:03

the next one actually got to the temple. prince ribbit kept on appearing everywhere on that level.
died a few floors down to a troll who wouldn't get off my case

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 13th April 2014, 03:49

Yeah, I had 30 chars MuWz, I think. :lol: Max lvl ~20.
They are progressing too slowly.
Last edited by GlassGo on Monday, 14th April 2014, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.
English is NOT my native language.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 13th April 2014, 19:31

My first win was a level 23 MuWz of Sif.

Basically you want some way to abuse having no hunger. Most spellcasting counts.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 06:00

I'm weird; but I'd say for a Mummy start, because Mages are so fragile...start with Gladiator instead. (The melee skill and weapon will be enough for early game; especially since the deadliest early game monsters [Kobolds with Poison Darts and Adders] are harmless to mummies with any AC at all.) Then take Kiku or Vehu to start your path into casting; if you find a book you like you can take Sif instead...or not take a magic god and rely on random book drops for any magic. Note that both Kiku and Vehu wrath are laughable to mummies; being almost completely immune to Kiku wrath (torment, draining, miasma and zombies) and vehu's wrath being pretty mild in general (extra 5% fail on all conjurations, with a more severe miscast than normal).

Then build your mummy like a reaver; medium armour, spells and melee/fighting.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 06:04

I don't think wrath that can include Fire Storm in the middle of your fights can be considered "mild in general", particularly for Mu.
I also think the much worse stats of MuGl will be bad for spellcasting, but I don't exactly have a lot of mummy play so that's just my theory.
Last edited by rchandra on Monday, 14th April 2014, 06:05, edited 1 time in total.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 06:05

I think conjurer would give you a lot more raw offensive power to start off with, which is crucial since you can't take punishment. Summoner will also take things out without taking damage. Wizard is one of the weaker books really, but starting without spellbook probably even worse.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 06:18

Lyrick wrote:First game, die to the very first enemy i see: a hobgoblin. 0 points.

Mummies are fun!

Sounds like your mummies aren't buff.

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 13:33

bcadren wrote:I'm weird; but I'd say for a Mummy start, because Mages are so fragile...start with Gladiator instead. (The melee skill and weapon will be enough for early game; especially since the deadliest early game monsters [Kobolds with Poison Darts and Adders] are harmless to mummies with any AC at all.) Then take Kiku or Vehu to start your path into casting; if you find a book you like you can take Sif instead...or not take a magic god and rely on random book drops for any magic. Note that both Kiku and Vehu wrath are laughable to mummies; being almost completely immune to Kiku wrath (torment, draining, miasma and zombies) and vehu's wrath being pretty mild in general (extra 5% fail on all conjurations, with a more severe miscast than normal).

Then build your mummy like a reaver; medium armour, spells and melee/fighting.

I'm still trying to figure out whether you are a terrible player or whether you just hate new players and want them to suffer unnecessarily.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
duvessa

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 14:24

I'd say Wiz or Conjurer are the best mummy starts. With a wiz, you've got blink to help you get out of trouble, and mephitic cloud should trivialize everything through lair, which will get you established. Conjure flame is also quite helpful for blocking enemies, or getting them to stand in a fire and die.

Conjurer is very straightforward, don't sleep on dazzling spray, it's very very helpful through a lot of the game, hitting 3 targets for 3 mp is pretty nice too. It'll also help you get away from a lot of enemies while they're blind.

Aside from that, play early mummies like everything will kill you easily. Be a coward, don't fight any uniques, and make sure to 5 up to full at every opportunity. If you get an opportunity for some fire resistance, take it, it's worth it to throw a ring of fire on even if you're not using fire spells.

I'd go for sif on a mummy caster, I mean why else are you playing a mummy if not for channeling spam.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 22:15

And don't be shy about playing cautiously. Low MP and poor initial miscast rates makes things hard.

e.g. if you miscast your first spell on a target that isn't faster than you, it's likely you don't have the MP to kill it. Don't be shy about walking around in circles until you're back at full MP before trying again. Same goes for if it gets a good hit on you; don't blast it down, just walk in circles to heal up before attacking again.

IMO, it wasn't until I had 5 MP and could cast a full 4-hit Searing Ray that I felt the MuCj early game has stabilized: that's enough firepower to reliably kill things in the very early dungeon. Searing Ray is your primary offense early on, due to the sheer amount of damage it does and the fact miscasts only happen on the first ray.

Don't be shy about taking extra effort to avoid taking blind corners either. Take Corner wide to get more visibility, or try to come at them from a cross path. Or even shout and wait to see if anything comes around the corner.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 00:24

One of the tricks to getting a MuWz past level 1 is to remember that you have 2 million turns to beat the game in. There's no rush.

If you miscasted and ran out of mana, run around a pillar till your regen your hp and mp to max and try again. A hobgoblin will never catch you, so you shouldn't die to them 1v1 unless you get 1 shoted.

Once you hit level 2, summoned imps take a lot of the danger out of the early game.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 00:28

A hobgoblin will never catch you

yes they can

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 00:29

LackofCertainty wrote:One of the tricks to getting a MuWz past level 1 is to remember that you have 2 million turns to beat the game in. There's no rush.

Until you get shot by a d:1 centaur warrior after 4000 turns due to OOD generation

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 00:32

basil wrote:
LackofCertainty wrote:One of the tricks to getting a MuWz past level 1 is to remember that you have 2 million turns to beat the game in. There's no rush.

Until you get shot by a d:1 centaur warrior after 4000 turns due to OOD generation

I think if you wait long enough you start getting d:1 titans and dragons!

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 00:58

basil wrote:

If it takes you 4000 turns to beat the few enemies needed to hit level 2 and get OP imps.... you're doing something wrong. ;)

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 02:06

Patashu wrote:
basil wrote:

I think if you wait long enough you start getting d:1 titans and dragons!

I got a yaktaur on dlvl 1. Took too long healing as a vampire.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 13:01

You do NOT need to scum as a mummy. People keep saying you do, but you can play totally normally. That doesn't keep them from sucking, but sucking doesn't keep them from winning either.

But hey, if you run into Menkure, you should be able to trounce him easily. So at least there's that.

For this message the author damiac has received thanks: 2
and into, Sar

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice