Two Portals on one floor

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 10th April 2014, 23:21

Two Portals on one floor

When I'm in one - time is still ticking, and second portal will be closed?
English is NOT my native language.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 10th April 2014, 23:22

Re: Two Portals on one floor

Yes, but, unless it was changed, which it may well have been, it will tick much slower while you're inside the first portal.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
GlassGo

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 10th April 2014, 23:22

Oh Crawl... :cry:

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 10th April 2014, 23:38

Second portal was in the last plase that I checked. :evil:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 11th April 2014, 00:17

Time continues to tick down, but except in the case of the Labyrinth the time involved is approximately one billion years so you should be able to completely clear out the first one and still have time to make it to the second one. Unless you miss seeing the one tile that would have revealed the second portal and walk right past twice, of course. Then you're hosed either way. If you have a magic mapping scroll to spend, you shouldn't have a problem with any portal that isn't way too hard for you anyway.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
GlassGo

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 11th April 2014, 00:30

KoboldLord wrote:Time continues to tick down, but except in the case of the Labyrinth the time involved is approximately one billion years so you should be able to completely clear out the first one and still have time to make it to the second one.

Also note that this is not in fact actually true (unless you consider an extra ~200 turns to be "approximately one billion years", I suppose).

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
GlassGo

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 11th April 2014, 01:15

200 turns? How many turns in case Chei?

KoboldLord wrote:If you have a magic mapping scroll to spend, you shouldn't have a problem with any portal that isn't way too hard for you anyway.
I know but I have not.
Last edited by GlassGo on Friday, 11th April 2014, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 11th April 2014, 01:28

MarvinPA wrote:Also note that this is not in fact actually true (unless you consider an extra ~200 turns to be "approximately one billion years", I suppose).

Yes, 'one billion years' is, in fact, a humorous exaggeration. Excellent catch.

The actual numbers vary according to the portal type, but they're visible in the dat/des/portals folder in your crawl folder if you really want to look for them. Suffice to say that regardless of the portal type, you've got several hundreds of turns to clear portal #1 before you need to get to portal #2. If you pop a magic mapping scroll immediately on arrival to the level and then bee-line the closest portal, you should be able to clear most of the portals in the game. The only real exception is if you draw an especially hard one but still want to complete it rather than abandoning it, because resting will chew up your safe margin very quickly.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 11th April 2014, 01:43

200 turns isn't very many turns, you might be thinking of old versions where the difference was more like 2000 turns?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 11th April 2014, 01:56

MarvinPA wrote:200 turns isn't very many turns, you might be thinking of old versions where the difference was more like 2000 turns?

Unless it's changed in, like, the last week or so, the shorter portals are 600 to 800 turns, and the longer ones are something like 800 to 1,000 turns. A quick wizmode test shows that the sewer that popped up first fell within the bounds I expected, so I don't think I'm somehow wildly misreading the timeout function.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice