Spellforged servitor

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 13:46

Spellforged servitor

I'm an OpVM of Veh.

First time I can learn and use this spell, but I don't know it at all
This spell summons an extraplanar elemental and binds it to a durable shell of magical power forged from the caster's own magic. By drawing upon the energy of the vessel which gives it form, the servitor is capable of unleashing some of the destructive spells known to its creator, though the strongest and most volatile of magics cannot be imbued in this fashion. You can sustain at most one creature summoned by this spell.

Reading the description, I understand that it can use some of my magic points... Am I correct ?

When I want some summons (read : almost never because I forget to use them), I usually rely on Summon Shadows... How is Spellforged servitor compared to SShadows ??
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 13:59

Re: Spellforged servitor

You mean Shadow Creatures? Very different spell.

Spellforged servitor is more like a grown-up Battlesphere. It doesn't use your mana points but it gets a selection of blasty spells from the ones your character knows.

I tried it once and it mostly did a lot of standing around, but supposedly that's fixed now.

For this message the author DracheReborn has received thanks:
mopl

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 14:49

Specifically, it has up to five of the following spells (it only knows them if you do):

Airstrike
Bolt Of Cold
Bolt Of Draining
Bolt Of Fire
Bolt Of Magma
Conjure Ball Lightning
Dazzling Spray
Fireball
Flame Tongue
Force Lance
Freeze
Freezing Cloud
Orb of Destruction
Iron Shot
Iskenderuns Mystic Blast
Lehudibs Crystal Spear
Lightning Bolt
LRD
Magic Dart
Mephitic Cloud
Poison Arrow
Poisonous Cloud
Sandblast
Sticky Flame
Sting
Stone Arrow
Throw Flame
Throw Frost
Throw Icicle
Venom Bolt

Once you cast it, it is a friendly spellcaster that tries not to stand between you and the enemy so you can still blast it yourself. Basically it acts like a less powerful clone of yourself.
Wins: DEWz^Veh (4 runes), DEWz^Veh (15 runes), DEWz^Sif (3 runes), HOBe^Trog (3 runes), MiDK^Yred (3 runes), DECj^Sif (4 runes), GrBe^Trog (3 runes), DECj^Vehu (3 runes), MiFi^Wu Jian (3 runes), DEFE^Veh (3 runes), DEFE^Veh (15 runes)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 15:01

servitor isnt for summoners, it's for conjurers
it is not comparable to shadow creatures at all

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 15:05

crate wrote:servitor isnt for summoners, it's for conjurers

Is there such a thing as a pure summoner in the game? After all the summoning nerfs?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 15:17

Magipi wrote:
crate wrote:servitor isnt for summoners, it's for conjurers

Is there such a thing as a pure summoner in the game? After all the summoning nerfs?

um summoning was very good for pretty much the whole time after the "nerfs", especially once ccf got changed.
It is now even better.

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 3
dck, duvessa, Sar

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 15:38

OK, I just recently came close to winning a game where I relied on almost nothing but this spell exclusively. (Unfortunately, I died in Zot because I was an idiot and didn't bring rF+++) Let me give you an idea of what this spell is like.

• First, imagine that the only spell you know is Orb of Destruction. That'd suck, right? Sure, it's powerful, but it costs a lot of magic and makes you really hungry.
  • Now imagine that you have infinite magic. You can just spam Orb of Destruction at anything you want, as long as you don't let yourself starve.
  • Now imagine that you can't miscast. It's impossible to miscast a spell, you always succeed 100% of the time even if the game says you have let's say a 30% chance to fail casting Orb of Destruction.
  • Now imagine that you don't need food. You can't starve, so now you can spam IOoD at anything you want, whenever you want, for as long as you want.
  • Now imagine that you're always hasted. It doesn't matter where you are or what you're doing, you're hasted 24/7 and yet you don't suffer from magic contamination.

That's kind of what the Spellforged Servitor is like. It's very important to not treat it like a summoning spell. Treat it like a conjurations spell, in the same way you do Battlesphere. It's essentially a better copy of you with infinite magic and infinite haste. I say it's always hasted because the one book that this spell is found in also has Haste in it, so if you can learn Spellforged Servitor then it automatically means you can learn Haste too. Do you like the sound of IOoD machine guns? I know I sure do.

To be honest, this spell is good. Like, "win the game" good. People were telling me it sucked, because it has a weird combination of magic schools and stands around doing nothing, but honestly it's so good that those two things don't even matter. If you can cast Orb of Destruction, there's no reason not to learn this spell, and if you don't want the Servitor to be a complete retard all you need to do is remember to use T>A or T>W in every fight. If you worship Sif, then you can essentially fine tune the Servitor however you want, whenever you want. If you're up against giant groups of enemies, you can throw in a cloud spell like Freezing Cloud or Poison Cloud and it will spam that in addition to Orb of Destruction. And it's not like the Servitor is weak, it's actually pretty beefy with decent HP and great omniresistances. It has enough resistances that hitting it with cloud spells doesn't turn it hostile. It can easily get away with standing inside of them without taking hardly any damage.

LearnDB wrote:spellforged servitor (8) | Spd: 10 | HD: 9 | HP: 80 | AC/EV: 10/10 | non-living, spellcaster, lev | Res: magic(immune), fire++, cold++, elec++, poison+++, drown, rot+++, neg+++, torm | XP: 607 | Sz: Medium | Int: plant.

You can literally win the game using nothing but Spellforged Servitor. I came very close to doing it myself, but I failed because like I mentioned earlier I was an idiot and got two shotted from full HP by an Orb of Fire. Just spare 14 MP to keep the Servitor out and Hasted, and it will take care of all the hard work for you. Forget all your weak conjurations and only keep the big ones memorized, and use the rest of your spell levels to memorize support spells that help keep you alive. Watching a Servitor win a fight with a Golden Dragon by "melee"-ing it at point blank range with Orb of Destruction and turning every tile of every floor into a gorefest of blood and chunks is very entertaining. Tengu Conjurer of Sif Muna with Spellforged Servitor is a winning combination.

(But if someone asks, you didn't hear it from me. This spell is balanced and not overpowered at all!)
(Please don't nerf this... Please don't nerf the fun...)

For this message the author Laraso has received thanks: 6
Eyesburn, ggoDeye, jason0320, khalil, mopl, Sandman25

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 23:14

Having spectated Laraso's game for a bit, I"ll vouch that it was quite awesome. Spellforged Servitor seems to be a spell you can build your entire character around, which is cool and fairly unusual for this game. If you've got a random assortment of conjurations you've been casting and just summon one to help out, it seems like it won't do much, but if you build your spell list around it and haste it seems like it can get ridiculous.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 01:00

Also, in webtiles it looks like a friendly dancing robot. Spellforged Servitor brings the moves.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 06:35

Spoiler: show
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 3
duvessa, jason0320, Moanerette

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 1st April 2014, 13:56

Quick word of advice, be VERY careful with this spell if you have Conjure Ball Lightning memorized. Probably the worst death I've ever had...

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 2nd April 2014, 20:25

Mrmini231 wrote:Quick word of advice, be VERY careful with this spell if you have Conjure Ball Lightning memorized. Probably the worst death I've ever had...

Did you have rElec?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 2nd April 2014, 20:42

I also had good experiences with spellforged servitor recently. In similar conditions to the OP (lowest level conjuration was L6), casting one and hasting it paid for itself in damage and also allowed me a fair amount of cover when I overspent my mana pool, even on Zot:5 in the orb chamber. The spell is L7 and dual-school, so I'm glad it's reasonably effective -- though, if you're going heavy conjuration, you probably don't need that much summoning to cast it at reasonable power. I didn't get the sense that it was out-of-control powerful, even with my wild magic enhancer.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 2nd April 2014, 21:34

Lasty wrote:I also had good experiences with spellforged servitor recently. In similar conditions to the OP (lowest level conjuration was L6), casting one and hasting it paid for itself in damage and also allowed me a fair amount of cover when I overspent my mana pool, even on Zot:5 in the orb chamber. The spell is L7 and dual-school, so I'm glad it's reasonably effective -- though, if you're going heavy conjuration, you probably don't need that much summoning to cast it at reasonable power. I didn't get the sense that it was out-of-control powerful, even with my wild magic enhancer.

I have to agree. I just finished an OPWz and a hasted spellforged servitor with OOD and LCS made short work of pretty much everything including Gloorx Vloq and Antaeus.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 2nd April 2014, 22:33

You guys really are doing your best to get this thing nerfed before I can try it, aren't you?
KoboldLord wrote: Equipment that you don't have isn't going to improve your survivability any.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 3rd April 2014, 02:01

I'm not sure if it needs a nerf. It's extremely powerful, but it does take some work to get it going - it's not like you just learn it and cast and it wins. You need the right spell set to support it, one that both gives it powerful spells and ensures it doesn't have any really weak spells, you want to be able to haste it, you spend turns commanding it, and you probably don't want to give it any AoE spells that you can't at least partially resist. And, of course, it's a level 7 dual-school spell to begin with.

Anyway, as far as game-winning late-game spells are concerned, I'm not sure it's any more powerful than, say, Simulacrum (especially with Kiku corpses).

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice